Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
more pictures from different angels, so you will have an idea.
I think that because there is a lot going on w/ these wheels they "stand out" and combined w/ the fact your car is not lowered (accentuating the gap between the car and the wheel/tire ), there is an optical illusion to some degree and they "appear" to "stick out". I'm not knocking your look, I love your car, just trying to explain why some members think the wheels stick out more than they actually do.

P.S. Thanks for shout out about following my settings from previous posts of mine. I've learned so much from other members on this forum that I don't know where I'd be w/ this car w/out it. I've tried to contribute myself as a way of showing some gratitude, so it's very gratifying to know I've helped out another member.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,836 Posts
I think that because there is a lot going on w/ these wheels they "stand out" and combined w/ the fact your car is not lowered (accentuating the gap between the car and the wheel/tire ), there is an optical illusion to some degree and they "appear" to "stick out".

I think there’s a lot going on with the car like the clear lenses and big bumpers and gold color. Maybe taller tire sizes if you aren’t lowering. The car definitely sticks out as a car that recently had its wheels swapped though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
For now, i am not lowering, maybe in future (maybe), because i keep in my mind if something happened to those wheels i will return to the original wheels, so i don't have to change the springs again.

I think there’s a lot going on with the car like the clear lenses and big bumpers and gold color. Maybe taller tire sizes if you aren’t lowering. The car definitely sticks out as a car that recently had its wheels swapped though.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,836 Posts
Faiz Jan, a slight drop would take your car to a whole other level.

Problem is really the tire size. I’m not sure why you’d go so small with 225/45/17 and 255/40/17. Generally 107’s fit less tire than 126, and I had 235/45/17 and 265/40/17 on a 107. Bridgestone Potenza was the only make for that combo. So I stepped up to 245/45/17 and 275/40/17 for a w126 since I’d planned my 8.5/10 et19/20 wheels for a w126. Here they are. No lowering I’m aware of. It’s actually sitting quite high due to the jack play.

I actually ended up picking up a set of those Potenza tires, but haven’t used them yet.

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
If he’s going to lower it 235/45/17 would be the proper size in front , although I don’t know if it will rub considering the spacers that we’re installed

But if he’s going to leave it alone without lowering just moving to a 225/50/17 in front would do a lot to help fill the wheel well , without being too big of a tire

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Today i joined Cane Island 3rd annual car show, very bas ass cars joined the show, got a lot of good compliments about my car and lot of thumbs up !!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I may be succeeding but I am not trying to be a dick about this. I realize this a complicated subject but it is important when trying to communicate an idea that we have a care in the language we use, more to the point the definitions of the words we use. If it's possible to search my previous posts from a couple of years ago, I'm sure one can find me asking a question that goes along the lines of "What's an offset?" or "What's the big deal about putting oil in your car?", so I make no claim to be an expert on all of this. That would be the fella who lives on the other side of the world.

So, let's go to pics and see. Again, this is a 10mm spacer on the fronts and 15mm spacer on the back. I think if I went to 25mm in the back ( that's an additional 10mm or 0.40 inches ), I've got plenty of room.
Hi, i see you have the performa25 wheels , how are they? are you satisfied with the purchase? any issues?, i have a 1995 E320 / W124 Cabriolet i was looking into purchasing them for my car. likes dislikes?

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Hi, i see you have the performa25 wheels , how are they? are you satisfied with the purchase? any issues?, i have a 1995 E320 / W124 Cabriolet i was looking into purchasing them for my car. likes dislikes?
Very satisfied w/ these wheels. As mentioned in an earlier post, my wheels came w/ a bore of 73.1mm, therefore requiring custom spacers. Apparently now these wheels come w/ a bore that is a direct fit for our cars. Besides that, no issues w/ these wheels.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
No issues till now, the quality is good for the money.

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
Have a read of page 1
10mm on the front and 15mm on the rear
If you don't run spacers on the front you have to fit centre caps that stick out to cover the wheel bearing hub that will protrude through the face of the rim
Spacers are illegal in Australia and void your car insurance

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,836 Posts
Have a read of page 1
10mm on the front and 15mm on the rear
If you don't run spacers on the front you have to fit centre caps that stick out to cover the wheel bearing hub that will protrude through the face of the rim
Spacers are illegal in Australia and void your car insurance

I have yet to find any spacers that fits front of a w126 properly and without modification. The hubs are cone shaped, and don’t really have any cylindrical area beyond about 5mm. So any spacers at all on the front means your wheel is being centered by the lugs alone. This will work fine until you hit the first bump that bends the lugs, or makes the wheel holes oblong or just cracks the wheels.

I need to get some pictures posted of what I’m taking about. I think FrankTheMoneyMan had some w126 front hubs modified.

I guess there are spacers that include the grease caps that might work.

Picture above is from: http://www.luxuryautosac.com/parts-cars/004559-mercedes-560-sel-sedan-w126-1988.html

FrankTheMoneyMan thread:
www.benzworld.org/forums/sale-wanted-trade-giveaway/1644178-w126-tapered-hub-wheel-spacers-complete.html

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
To answer your question yes these wheels will fit straight in without spacers
The only issue is the need to use a raised center cap on the front wheels , these can be found for $15 a set of 4 on ebay just search for
Mercedes raised center cap

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have yet to find any spacers that fits front of a w126 properly and without modification. The hubs are cone shaped, and don’t really have any cylindrical area beyond about 5mm. So any spacers at all on the front means your wheel is being centered by the lugs alone. This will work fine until you hit the first bump that bends the lugs, or makes the wheel holes oblong or just cracks the wheels.

I need to get some pictures posted of what I’m taking about. I think FrankTheMoneyMan had some w126 front hubs modified.

I guess there are spacers that include the grease caps that might work.

Picture above is from: 1988 Mercedes 560SEL Parts Car | Stock #004559

FrankTheMoneyMan thread:
www.benzworld.org/forums/sale-wanted-trade-giveaway/1644178-w126-tapered-hub-wheel-spacers-complete.html

As an FYI: my 1991 560SEL does not have the cone shaped front hubs. Regular spacers fit fine, front and rear on mine.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Just buy the real deal

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,836 Posts
As an FYI: my 1991 560SEL does not have the cone shaped front hubs. Regular spacers fit fine, front and rear on mine.

I respectfully disagree. While the taper is very slight, there is a taper. If the lugs are very tight, sure, they should not go off center. And if thy end up only moving a mm or so, then ok, the vibration may not be significant.

But let’s not lie to people and say that the hubs are not tapered. All ABS w126 hubs are the same. Take a look.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Uh, ok. I will assume I’ve been lucky in that every single spacer I test fitted ( including the spacers that I ultimately went with for the front) just happened to fit perfectly with no shaving of center portion required..

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,836 Posts
Uh, ok. I will assume I’ve been lucky in that every single spacer I test fitted ( including the spacers that I ultimately went with for the front) just happened to fit perfectly with no shaving of center portion required..

Flat spacers will work fine to move the wheel outwards, but you are losing the hubcentric centering of the wheel, and primarily relying on your lug bolts to center the wheel. Lots of cars are lug centric. If the wheels are well made and the ball or cone seat of the wheel is doing a good job to center the wheel, and they remain tight, then you won’t end up in the fall back scenario where your wheel becomes a little off center and resting on one side of the hub. Since the taper is so slight, the wheel won’t be likely to move much (at first). However, if the lugs come loose enough for the wheel to move, I suspect it will rattle off the car quite quickly.

Other people driving MB have not noticed that their lugs had fallen out before the wheel rolls off the car rolling down the highway. Perhaps with your scenario, you will end up with serious vibration first.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts