Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start a new thread for these wheels instead of the one i started before. Before i started the thread asking about Alzor monoblock wheels and then we talked about Performa wheels, the project took longer than expected between ordering wrong spacers and not long enough studs for like 4 times ,till i found the ideal length for the rear wheels ,without damaging the emergency brake hardware, if you are interested in those wheels, here is my review and setting. The paint and the quality of the wheels is more than i expected, the center bore is 66.6mm, no play at all, no rings are needed to attach it to the hub, no defects at all, the rivets are fake and just for the look, they are one peace wheels and you can't dis-assemble them. The communication with the seller is great, and the shipping from Malaysia was so fast, the seller reduced the price in the invoice that he sent to the customs, i paid only $40 to declare the wheels based on the price he included wich is $450.
here is a link to the wheels on eBay .Item number:332376885949, https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-17-inch-Staggered-OZ-Aero-Classic-Design-Wheel-Set-of-4-Mercedes-Silver/332376885949?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I bought the spacers from EZAccessory | Wheel Adapters, Suspension Parts, Lug Nuts & More, 15mm for the rear with lip, and 10mm flat spacers to the front, No spacers required if you want to use raised center caps for the front wheels. I tried both settings, and the regular center caps looks better.

I bought chrome studs from EZAccessory | Wheel Adapters, Suspension Parts, Lug Nuts & More also, they are on sale for only $1.99, the quality is amazing. 12mmX1.50 studs 45mm for the rear (with 15mm spacers), and 12mmx1.50 studs 39mm for the front with 10mm spacers.

Front tires 225/45R17XL 94W, rear tires 255/40R17 94W.

for me the height of the car with the 17" wheels is good for me, i don't want to go with lower springs, i am satisfied with the height of the car, the wheels and the tires filled most of the fender well, its better than before. please let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
I bought these same wheels 18 months ago for my SEC. When I click on your link, it goes to the eBay page showing that I have purchased this item. So, this is the same seller that I used but when I bought them the bore size was 73.1mm, requiring custom spacers which cost me $250.00. It's great that they are now making these wheels that are a direct fit for our cars. I'm very happy with my set. Yours look fantastic although I do think it does need to be lowered a bit.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
it is too bad these wheels require spacers to clear the front center cap and not rub the inner rear tire wheel well, as I feel the tires stick out too far from the body with the spacers .

And yes I totally understand you don’t want to lower your car and there are legitimate reasons not to- but without lowering the Stance is just way off , it makes the wheels and tires look Like they weren’t made to fit this car . Wheels and tires and stance is an art form that’s hard to get just right .

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,837 Posts
I bought these same wheels 18 months ago for my SEC. When I click on your link, it goes to the eBay page showing that I have purchased this item. So, this is the same seller that I used but when I bought them the bore size was 73.1mm, requiring custom spacers which cost me $250.00. It's great that they are now making these wheels that are a direct fit for our cars. I'm very happy with my set. Yours look fantastic although I do think it does need to be lowered a bit.

I think the 73.1 bore may have helped. Hopefully the fronts of Faiz Jan are still centering on the hubs. Otherwise, they could start vibrating after hitting a pothole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
On a lowered car you would definitely have clearance issue on those front tires with the wheel arch as with the spacers they protrude too far out.

There is an engineering science to getting W126 wheel track geometry right in relation spacing of both front and rear rims in relation to each other (centre-line of front and rear rims) which affects handling of the car and how it tracks both straight and into corners/braking etc. So spacing out front wheels is not that simple.
17 x 8" ET11 is the max and 17 x 8.5 ET18 is the max

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
The wheels definitely look nice - but it almost looks like they don't fit properly. It could be the pictures, but the wheels themselves seems to be popped out farther than they should be (see attached shot)

(sorry if this is a noob question) If the wheels are offset 25, how exactly does the spacer help? Would a 12mm spacer bring the gap down to 13?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
i do like these wheels and they seem nice from a far but this thread is reminding me of former member BADwayz and his wheels

you oldtimers know what im talking about

Attachments

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
The wheels definitely look nice - but it almost looks like they don't fit properly. It could be the pictures, but the wheels themselves seems to be popped out farther than they should be (see attached shot)

(sorry if this is a noob question) If the wheels are offset 25, how exactly does the spacer help? Would a 12mm spacer bring the gap down to 13?
The wheels look popped out because of the spacers , which isn’t to help with the GAP. Lowering or taller tires are needed to fill the gap .

the spacer is pushing the wheels out farther which solves a few problems like the inner fender rub and front center cap fitment , but creates other problems (and the undersized front tires are exacerbating the gap).

Usually 235/45/17 are run in front on a w126 running 17s, but with the spacer they would stick out 10mm even further. Without any lowering , a 225/50/17 would help fill the gap in front .

To get a sinister stance , the car would need more modification and it’s understandable why that might not be desired- the car would need to be lowered about 2 inches , remove the spacers , run 235/45/17 fronts , and beat the inner rear fender liner so it doesn’t rub . But that’s a whole level of customization above a basic wheel install.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I like.
If you arent concerned with the wheelwell gap up front, then that's all that matters.

Question: Have you had a chance to run it up to 70mph or so on the highway for any length of time? Im still getting some seat vibration at those speeds (after multiple road force balances on the Hunter machine) and wondering if it may be spacer related. Havent had the chance to swap back over to my stock 15 inch wheels/no spacers yet for a definitive test, but hope to do so in the next several days.

My hub centric spacers seem to fit well in the wheel hole and onto the rear hub of the car, so Im thinking it may be something else. Will see.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
The wheels definitely look nice - but it almost looks like they don't fit properly. It could be the pictures, but the wheels themselves seems to be popped out farther than they should be.
I thought the exact same thing, I agree popping out less IMO would look better, but they do catch the eye.

Of course, is a matter of personal preference, if he is happy that's all it counts. However, a road test at 70-75 MPH should also be part of the evaluation.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts

I think the answer to your question is no. These wheels have a negative offset of 25mm, which means the mounting surface is 25mm away from the centerline of the wheel in the direction towards the car. Any deep dish wheels like this will have this sort of a negative offset. By installing spacers you simply push the wheels out, away from the car but the the mounting surface still remains 25mm away from the centerline of the wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
540 Posts
not sure I fully understand bcliftons question, but if the question is "will adding a 12mm spacer change a fitment of a wheel that is 25ET to a 13ET fitment, I believe the answer is "yes".

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, they centered really good and tight.

I think the 73.1 bore may have helped. Hopefully the fronts of Faiz Jan are still centering on the hubs. Otherwise, they could start vibrating after hitting a pothole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its the picture, i understand what you saying, looks sticking out too much, which in real they don't, the tire and the wheel still far away if you looked from up, they are not sticking out at all, i will take more pictures for you today.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I drove 80mph yesterday on the highway as a test, the car was running straight like an arrow, no vibration at all, usually i don't drive my Mercedes fast, i just can't :grin.

I like.
If you arent concerned with the wheelwell gap up front, then that's all that matters.

Question: Have you had a chance to run it up to 70mph or so on the highway for any length of time? Im still getting some seat vibration at those speeds (after multiple road force balances on the Hunter machine) and wondering if it may be spacer related. Havent had the chance to swap back over to my stock 15 inch wheels/no spacers yet for a definitive test, but hope to do so in the next several days.

My hub centric spacers seem to fit well in the wheel hole and onto the rear hub of the car, so Im thinking it may be something else. Will see.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
not sure I fully understand bcliftons question, but if the question is "will adding a 12mm spacer change a fitment of a wheel that is 25ET to a 13ET fitment, I believe the answer is "yes".
We may be talking at cross purposes here but, adding a spacer will not change the offset. When the wheel is manufactured that is when the offset is fixed. That can not change. I think the confusion is in the "gap" bsclifton speaks of. There has to be a gap between the wheel/tire and any suspension components and a gap between the wheel/tire and the wheel well. The problem I had w/ these wheels was mainly in the front. I added a 10mm or 15mm spacer in front, I forget which size it was, to get the wheel away from the tie rod ends. The back I think was a 20mm spacer but I had plenty of room back there. When trying to get the right fitment w/ these wheels or any others, none of this straight forward. It's a lot of try it and see if it works. You can eliminate a lot of the guess work by doing your homework but at the end of the day you've got to just slap it on, drive it around and see if it works, which is time consuming and expensive. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts