Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is the first thread I’m posting. So I recently inherited my grandparents 1999 S420 and I’m changing the factory 16” wheels. Currently stock 16x7.5 ET51.

I bought a set of 17” monoblock aero 2s (stupidly) off of a 2000 E55. So...here’s the deal, I LOVE the 17” look and ride quality, but the lug holes I believe are 12mm as compared to the 14mm I need for the W140.

Has anyone ever fitted the 17” monoblocks to a W140? Can I just simply have a machine shop properly enlarge the lug holes 2.3mm to make them fit? New size is 17x8.5 ET30

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The offset is ET51 compared to ET30. That converts down to only about 1” difference. I’ve put wheels on vehicles with a much higher difference in offset. Do you really think it’ll make that much of a difference? 1” doesn’t seem like much to me considering how tucked in the factory 16” wheels are.

·
4,766 Posts
The most I’ve gotten away fitting low offset wheels are ET35 for 8.5” width. I agree with glepore to just get stud conversion kits to accommodate the lug size difference.

I see you just joined (welcome) but Im uncertain how familiar you are with the 140. So as addtional info - the tire sizes for an E55 are different for a 140. Apart from size, the load rating is different. The 140 uses a higher load rating to avoid steering wheel shakes.

My 2 cents - for all this effort, I would much rather make it look right and get rthe3 proper 18s. Theyre all over CL and cheap

Hth

·
Registered
21,750 Posts
I sold the original 8 hole wheels for my w140, and was honestly surprised that of all the wheels I’ve got (including 7.5x17 et37 & 8.5x17 et30 5-spoke CLK wheels), and only one set would accommodate the 14 mm diameter shank w140 lug bolts, and the bolts were too long for the lower offset ones, so spacers had to be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Fonzi
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing