Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went to install my new belt and upon loosening the adjusting bolt, the tensioner "popped" downward and released all tension at once. Scared the shit out of me. Come to find out that the adjuster bolt's rod slipped from the metal fastening ring that attaches to the rear of the tensioner. Its retaining clip fell off. So, here is a detailed install of how I think it went together. (I hope I'm right) :)

Loosen one 19mm bolt from the center of the unit and three 13mm bolts from the bracket. (you will more than likely have to remove the power steering pump's pulley) The right-most bolt is longer than the other two and has a regular nut on the backside of it. Use a magnet to keep it from falling into any unknown cracks or nooks. Remove the 19mm bolt completely and the unit should come right off of the engine. When installing, don't forget the washer that goes on top of the adjuster bolts bracket. Note how the retaining clip goes on the rod and how the unit attaches to the gold-colored adjusting ring. I noticed the markings on the unit from the rod before removal, so it was pretty easy to figure out how it went back on. Make sure to install the white indicator piece correctly as to face rearward and point somewhere in the right "resting" area. Slip the bracket and 19mm bolt back on. If done correctly, the indicator will point in the "loaded" section of the guage when you tighten the adjuster bolt down.

Sorry, but I still haven't figured out how to add text under each individual picture yet. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320 with 345,000 miles
1,737 Posts
Nice set of pics, thanks for the contribution to the community!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts