Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK230
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned in my Acura lease a few weeks ago, and I am on the hunt for an SLK. Just want to get some opinions from the experts before I buy. :)

I've been looking for the past few months, and I've finally found not one, but two this week. I'm planning on purchasing one of them on Thursday provided they check out mechanically and test drive well. They are both black automatics. The first one is a '99 model with 60k miles, and the second is an '01 with 94k miles. Carfax reports on both came back clean. One is at a Nissan dealership, the other is at a high-volume used car dealer. The '01 is cleaner and (obviously) newer, but the '99 was very well cared for and has below average miles.

In the $16,000 range, both are priced below Blue Book and NADA. I hugely prefer the post-facelift look and tan interior on the '01, but I am concerned about the mileage. I will be splitting a 4 day per week, 60 mile commute between the SLK and another vehicle (depending on the weather :D). While I am very aware of and OK with the maintenance costs associated with an SLK, 94k could be asking for trouble.

So what do y'all think? Older with low miles or newer with high miles?

-Jessica

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Mmmm...perhaps you should keep looking. Or be willing to spend a few more bucks...I'm not talking about much -- a few more $$$ can go a long way in getting something newer/lower mileage.

·
Registered
98 230SLK
101 Posts
I would go for lower miles since Tranny requires high dollar service at 100k.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
go for 01 - do a tranny service on it - 300$, or better get a sample of tranny fluid and send it for oil analysys.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230K
293 Posts
Kirill said:
go for 01 - do a tranny service on it - 300$, or better get a sample of tranny fluid and send it for oil analysys.
I agree. Or do it yourself, not hard at all. I recently purchased a '99 with ~89K for about ~13K and have been doing all the fluids myself. While the MB fluids are more $$$ than I'm used to it's not that bad and the work is pretty easy. If you don't want to do any work yourself the lower mileage might be a better bet otherwise get the '01.

Avery

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Tranny service should be done every 50K miles and not wait to 100K. MB does not recomend tranny service but I can tell you that at 94K miles, my kid's tranny had a good amount of sludge. Also, my dealer charges $225 and my independant charged me $180.

As for which is better, newer low miles, older low miles. I would take newer with higher miles personally. Better engine management on the 2001, body is nicer, low mile cars are sometimes not maintained properly because people wait for 10K miles instead of doing the service on time intervals.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Buellwinkle said:
As for which is better, newer low miles, older low miles. I would take newer with higher miles personally. Better engine management on the 2001, body is nicer, low mile cars are sometimes not maintained properly because people wait for 10K miles instead of doing the service on time intervals.
+1 - plus you will have all the facelift updates (better microswitches for the roof is one of them)

·
Registered
2001 SLK230
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice, guys. Right now I am leaning towards the '01, but I'm going to keep an open mind. I'll let y'all know how it goes tomorrow.

·
Registered
'01 S500V(sold), '98 SLK230K (sold)
208 Posts
I got my 98 at 70k KM... so like 50k miles, and i've had it for 2 years and its at 130k (or like 80k miles), and its been fine... I would go for the 01... or keep looking.

·
Registered
2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
1,006 Posts
I'd go with the 2001 (which I did). There are a decent enough of improvements over prior year models.

Higher mileage is a drawback, but if you service the tranny and the PO kept up with maintance and kept it in nice shape, you could do well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts