Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all.
My name is Isaac and I’ve really been wanting a late 1990s C class because I love the way they look and everything about MB. But thanks to my age and restricted budget a good pick can be hard to find. This morning I was browsing Craigslist and I found this ad: (see image)
I don’t know very much about the dependability of bothers vehicles. This one in particular is a 1997 C230 with over 200k miles. The seller is only asking $1000 for it. It needs a new transmission mount as well as a power window motor for the driver side. I currently have a 1999 Acura Integra which has been a good reliable car. Is there anything I should know about these cars? Are they known for things you need to stay clear of? (I.e: Cadillac Northstar head gasket) I guess just stuff that the car could be plagued with.. please let me know what you think. Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,886 Posts
When we all here love classic MB, the 23yo car with "known problems" require high DIY skills to make it reliable,
What is your experience?
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we all love here classic MB, the 23yo car with "known problems" require high DIY skill to make it reliable,
What is your experience?
Welcome to the forum.
Well as far as experience goes it’s probably a good bit more than any other 16 year old. I’ve grown up around automotive repair my whole life, my dad has had mustangs, Jeeps, and a Land Cruiser that he rescued from the woods and replaced the head gasket on right from the garage. I’m usually there with him and have learned a good bit.

·
Registered
35,886 Posts
Get a compression tester and go see the car. Cosmetic things can be easy fixed, assuming you have Junk Yard with parts available.
So when engine shows good compression - go for it.

·
Registered
1998 e430
354 Posts
young blood is just what this place needs, ha ha!

given you're level of experience, i wouldn't be too afraid of this car. are there donor cars at your local pick-n-pulls? i'd look for smoke from the exhaust and coolant contamination but, if it drives nicely, go for it!

welcome!

·
Registered
35,886 Posts
Funny part is that W124 seems to be last model with high quality parts. I had several parts, like window sliders, groomets and hose holders salvaged from W124 and istalled on W210. W163 and W211 where original parts fall apart just after few years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

I went and looked at the thing today and it was Wayyyyyy too much work. The thing stalled on me during the test drive, no AC, horrible shaking from engine and transmission, etc. the search continues. Not the car for me.

·
Registered
C280 '97, SLK55 BRABUS AMG '05, ML350 '06
276 Posts
My C280 same '97 dives very well though its 6 cylinder vs 4 in 230 i think those are pretty reliable and all parts are cheap, big down side though for full diagnostics you need 38 pin round connector (it does have obd but with limited features on it)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts