Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML320
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get set of winter tires and wheels for 02 ML320 but Tirerack only has one tire in 17" and no steel wheels in that size.

They do however have bunch of good priced 16" tires but no wheels.

Are 16" wheels possible on ML320? If so, anyone know of a good online source?
Discount Tire Direct doesn't have them either

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
Looking to get set of winter tires and wheels for 02 ML320 but Tirerack only has one tire in 17" and no steel wheels in that size.

They do however have bunch of good priced 16" tires but no wheels.

Are 16" wheels possible on ML320? If so, anyone know of a good online source?
Discount Tire Direct doesn't have them either

Thanks in advance
16" wheels are stock on the 1998 ML320 the should fit on yours. There are 16" ML rims on craigslist.org

·
Registered
1998 ML320
25 Posts
I can't say I know that much about snow tires. With that in mind I just wanted to point out that Blizzak snow tires seem to be fairly popular in the frozen north.

One thing that I love about ML vehicles is their ability to get around in the snow. Putting a micro-computer in control of a set of tires that are about to slip REALLY helps the situation in breaking, acceleration and ability to avoid spinning out.

That said, slowing down is your best option in the snow.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
This place has OEM or OEM style MB wheels in 16"

through 18" at what appears to be a pretty good price: Wheels and Caps - Chrome/Alloy/Steel OEM Wheels, OEM/Replacement Hubcaps & more!

I like running a smaller wheel and a taller, narrower tire in snow and ice. Wide, low profile tires push a lot of snow and tend to float rather than get down in it and grab something.. Before we got the 430, we had a Chrysler 300M and a Sebring Coupe. Both had 17" wheels with low-profile tires. I put 16s on for the winter tires and went up from the 50 aspect to 70s and they got around really well in Juneau's snow, slush, and ice. I went with studless, Blizzaks on the 300 and Dunlops on the Sebring because conditions in JNU are so changeable and in a matter of days you'll go from driving in heavy snow, to slush, to ice, to a bare road. Studless tires, any snow tire really, wears very quickly on bare roads and studs especially wear down plus they have an excise tax on them in AK. I didn't catch where you are, but if you don't have snow and ice constantly or frequently, I would probably go with a well-rated all-weather radial and get a good set of chains and put them in the vehicle. Chains are a PITA, but they're a lot cheaper and easier to put on a time or two than to go through the cost and hassle of changing tires and wheels twice a year. I'd love to not always have two, or more, sets of tires and wheels for each vehicle in my garage.

Here in ANC it now looks like we're in for roads pretty much constantly covered with snow or ice for the rest of the winter so I'm going ahead and putting studs on the 430, a set of Coopers came with it; not my first choice but I'll deal with that later.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Now get some new wheel caps and you're good to go....

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
These ML's do very good in the snow. A few years ago It snowed about 2 feet in the local mountains near my house so I loaded up the family up and headed out.
I went to an area that had little traffic and even on a road that no one had even driven on, no chains and had no problems at all. On the way I saw a big jacked up Chevy truck 4x4 with huge tires that was stuck because his tires would not dig down. He was just spinning his tires on top of the snow which becomes packed ice at that point.

·
Registered
2007 ML 500, 2008 ML 550, 2011 ML 63 AMG
363 Posts
RudeDude's on the money, you don't want big fat snows.

In my case I put 235/65R-17 Michelin X-Ice tires on my ML500 and the difference between it and my buddy's identical truck with 275/55/17 Goodyear Fortera tires on it is night and day.

I routinely have to punch through drifts much higher than the hood to get into my cottage in the winter, no problem at all.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it is great in snow. Been running all seasons so far but the thread is getting bit low so it's time to get winter tires.

I will be getting General Altimax Artic 235/70/16's. At $99 a pop and where I've had these same tires on my BMW, I really can't complain. They really do excellent job and can be studded

1 - 9 of 9 Posts