Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is so good, it needs its own thread!

They're $2K a set, but HERE THEY ARE!

They're 15x7, OEM, and NEW!

eBay Motors: 4 Mercedes-Benz Classic "BUNDT" Alloy Wheels 15 X 7 (item 280227174249 end time May-21-08 14:29:48 PDT)

1-866-MB CLASSIC

BTW, does anybody want these new 14x6.5's I've been collecting? I'd be willing to make you a good deal on them.

·
Registered
82 500SEL, 97 S600, 88 300TE, 85 300SD, 84 380SE, 86 560SEL, 84 500SEL
64 Posts
Expensive but worth it. Brand new direct from MB!

·
Registered
EURO 280CE
1,689 Posts
there are lots of nice 15x7 rims for our cars, why go out of your way and out of pocket to get similar ones, that defeats the purpose of spending money.
unless...you car is a 100% complete show car and even top notch aftermarket rims would detract from its value.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Some of us are discriminating, and notice the subtle differences.
And then, some of us need a jalepeno before we can taste anything.

Personaly, I think the proper Baroque style wheels look best on the 123 (if only they were a tad bit larger to fill the wheel well). Therefore, for me at least, the money would not be wasted. I am sure many here would agree.

BTW, the old set can go up on eBay, so you don't need to have two sets.

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
or some people like to keep it original no with some aftermarket rims

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, you actually can tell. And, the difference between 6" width and 7" width is also noticable.

There are some people on the board who have looked high and low for these. If you're not interested, then don't let it worry you.

·
Registered
EURO 280CE
1,689 Posts
true you could sell your old ones, but the way i see it its the same as paying $110 for a fuel filter(whoever that guy was). you pay 2k for rims and you are the only person on earth that will know your rims are cooler than everyone else's.

i did not know they were rare either, i thought many people have swapped gen 1 w126 rims

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
$2k and they look EXACTLY like my 14"s. Park 2 cars side by side and NOBODY could tell the 1" difference I bet!
And for those of us that can, that makes these rims much more exclusive. To the average person, they can't tell nor could care about the difference, same thing with trunk mounted warning triangles, US to Euro bumper conversions and Euro lights. You're not a true classic MB aficionado if you can't discern the subtle differences of the two rims. ;)

I think $2k is a bit much, this discriminating connoisseur prefers his rare rims to be exceptionally nice examples found at the Pick-A-Part, overlooked by the unknowing masses and snatched up for cheap (like my $2 warning triangle from last week). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo 1972 BMW 3.0CS
497 Posts
WOW.... pricey but beautiful. Well worth it if youve been hunting for them and have the $$$$. There are a few variants of the classic 15" bundt design, I prefer the ATS ones over the OE.

I scored a set of ATS versions on ebay.de a year or so ago and have been 110% happy with my purchase. I think I paid a total of $5-600 with shipping can't remember the exact cost but it wasn't what I consider to be much for how rare they are.... of course they were used but had been refinished by the seller.

Park 2 w123's side to side and the difference is far more noticable than what you might expect-

205/60/15 tires next to say a 195/70/14's make the 60's look almost low profile, which in turn makes the 15" Bundts look closer to 16"

The 7" width gives the 15" bundt a slightly deeper lip, and the center hub is inset more than on the 14" which makes the 15" wheel look more "dished". And of course from the rear the 205's look more "meaty" than the 195's.

All details of course, likely unnoticeable to the untrained eye... but I have to say they really are a huge visual improvement. I too LOVE the Bundt design... I think it is the perfect wheel for the W123 and the 15"x7" are the perfect size aesthetically.

After fitting them many of my non-car loving friends thought I was nuts- the 15"s looked just like the 14"s to them. The friends that are into cars, and even just the firends with sharp eyes for detail could tell the difference right away. The funniest thing is that quite a few BMW people notice them and have actually asked about them while crossing paths in parking lots etc... usually E28/E30 and vintage Bimmer drivers.

Its a subtle upgrade, but an absolutely worth while one if you like the OE look with a mild twist.
"The details are not details. They make the product."
-Charles Eames

I'll have to keep an eye on the MB Classic Center's listings for more obscure goodies. :)

15" Vs. 14"

Attachments

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
One set for the summer tires and one set for the winter tires? Thats if you want the car to look good in the winter season..
Good god whats wrong with the back of this wagon?

·
Registered
66 Posts
there is a guy in my town who has numerous set of the 15" bastard knows what they are worth though. e also has at least 5 6.3's

·
Registered
78 280S, 81 300SD, 82 300D, 92 300E 2.6, 90 260SE, 94 S280, 10 E300,
900 Posts
The owner of the Mercedes shop that maintains my car has 15 inch Bundts installed on his 1980 300SD W116 and they look bitchin! Worlds apart from the 14's visually.

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
Wow! they're cheaper now. Classic center wanted $900 for each of them the last time!

I found a set of ARC Alurad 15" bundts and I have a set of Centra 15" bundts which I am keeping for the 6.9.

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,266 Posts
To some (not me), the 15 inch wheels look the same as the 14 inch wheels. To some, they don't.

Isn't the point of the larger rims to be able to fit a higher performance tire? I understand there are many more high-performance tire options in 15 inch...

FB

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
15" Bundts or Baroques are quite rare which is why MB Classic Center has a premium price on EACH one (or a set). And those sold by the Classic Center are the genuine original ones - I beleive manufactured by Fuchs for MB! Other aftermarket suppliers produced them too... such as ATS, ARC, Centra, and even Ronal. I had a set I bought from Frankfurt many years ago - these were made by Centra: 15x7 with offset of 23. Perfect for the w123 or even the w116. As you can see one of the big difference (compared to 14" Bundts) is the lip!

More info. here in case you want to read on about MB wheels: Translated version of http://www.sternzeit-107.de/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=30

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts