Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can not say where, but, I managed to travel at 140mph for a few minutes with the roof down, no wind shield on and no sunglasses, last weekend.

Absolutley amazed that I hardly felt a thing.
It was quite noisy but bearable.

It was a beautiful sunny afternoon, still, and dry.
What a rush!!

Do I hold the record for top down driving in an SLK?!!![8D][8D][8D]

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
Yeah I did 140 briefly with the top down on the way to Vegas (I had the nylon windblocker up) but yeah it wasn't that bad at all. I have to say, our cars are really quick doing 80-140.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
I have been 120 or 125 a couple of times, roof down, perspex wind deflector. I can hear the wind loud and clear, the car itself feels solid. I will have to push it to the max, I am planning a track day at Silverstone which should give me the chance to get to 155, top down of course (it would be a complete bitch if it rained that day)
You have the record over me for now Anthony

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Sorry - 155 (hit the limiter - had to be done[:0] )on the Autobahn on the way back from Bremen - no windows up, no screen - windy as f^~k but what a buzz

...drove it like I stole it....[:D][:D]

·
Registered
E55 AMG
359 Posts
my top speed with roof down is 150 [:)]

·
Registered
'06 BMW 6.30 Coupe
119 Posts
Cool. I got 200 km/h with the top down, without any wind blocker or something like that.

·
Registered
SLK 350
200 Posts
Did 130mph on the day of picking it up last summer...(I couldn't wait for the 1000k mark to start flooring)....
IT WAS GREAT...didn't feel much considering speed...

Have sat in my brothers A4 Cab and even at 40mph I look like I have been electrucuted after the ride!

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Track day drive...

I am planning a track day at Silverstone which should give me the chance to get to 155,
how about 23rd April, Castle Coombe... can take your car on the track that day, and meet other members of the forum.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
RE: Track day drive...

Your comments on the people who drive on the track at Castle Combe put me off. The people at Silverstone are all paying £350 for a day during the week, with additional time beforehand accompanied by an instructor...I am also going to check it out by going to one as a spectator beforehand, there will not be any idiots around when I take my car out, and its not insured for track use so there is no room for error.
I would be interested in a meet, along with a drive in the South, meet at a pub, followed by a route where we can open up. Castle Combe is quite a long return journey from East London, sadly.
I appreciate you have made the effort to set it up and hope it is a great day.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
RE: Track day drive...

Your track day sure sounds better than Castle Coombe. There is an element of luck involved with who you get on the track. To be honest, I'm not taking my car around the track this time, so can't say i blame you. Its just as much fun watching the others go round !
Hopefully we'll put on a good club display too. I'm in West London, nice run along the M4..

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
SergioinMiami - 4/15/2005 9:16 PM

154 top down, windows down, on a highway. Sustained for 10 min 7 am Sunday. Wish I could drive it at 154 everyday!
Didn't you hit the limmiter (155) - I did, brand new - never break in cars[:I]

Drive it like you stole it (remember the warranty)

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 LE
240 Posts
Wooly, we think alike. No break in! That is what the warranty is for. I really wasn't watching the speed to see if it was 154 or 155, my foot was pressed as far as it would go without letting up. If a cop had seen me, it would be definate jail time, and a tow.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Illinois now has a law that if you speed 30 M.P.H. or more over the limit, you go to jail and there is a BIG fine.

·
Registered
05 SLK350
55 Posts
Hi guys

Motor racing circuits are not the best place for high speed runs, they have too many corners (and thats the fun bit) at Castle Combe 120mph is as fast as you can expect even on the longest stretches of track.

On "5th Gear" they showed the V-Max club who were driving 200mph+ cars, and even on a 2mile long runway they were only getting about 190mph.

Motorways are the best place for high speed runs, in France or Germany Autobans of course are best, I was sticking to the 4000rpm rule on the way back from Bremen on Sunday, so 120mph was fine for me.

So, who is going to be the first person to claim over 155mph??? anyone had there car delimited??

Good luck speed freaks!!!

Andy

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
If I recall correctly, last fall either the Car & Driver or Road & Track test guys hit 160 mph at the red-line in a SLK350 and wondered in the write-up about why the limiter had not kicked in at 155.

·
Registered
SLK350
108 Posts
damn... I need to push this car. Fastest I've gone with the roof down was 175MPH with a SCREAMING 911. I pulled over and gave myself CPR. What a rush!! Top speed is still on a tricked out Ducati 996R on Ocean Parkway (Long Island) (185MPH on 2 wheels, no top, no windows, no seat belts, no brains)...

don't plan on doing any of that again, (family obligations et all) jail isn't an option at this time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts