Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered that my 14.5-20 tires have been mounted tubeless, which might explain why 2 of them leak. I took them to the truck tire shop and they told me that the only tubes they could get that would fit have long type valve stems. He agreed to try to modify them if he could which might make them a little better, so I told him to order them. Did I do right, or is there a good source?

Daniel

·
Registered
419 Posts
Daniel,

Have you determined first if they are tubeless? If they are your have to look for something else about your leaks.

·
Registered
78 416 seismic truck
71 Posts
You can get tubes for that size tire with normal short stems. I have 4 with tubes and had to replace one. Go to a dealer who specializes in large equipment tires. Specifically earth movers and front end loaders. My choice here is Service tire ( they knew it was from a mog just by looking at the wheel) or Les Schwab as second choice.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Andrew and Veggie, Yes the tires are Michelin X and marked "tube type".

The place I went to is a commercial tire shop. They just might not know a source for the right tubes. I will do some more calling around.

Thanks Gents!
Daniel

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,414 Posts
Find a commercial/HD tire shop that works with off-road earthmoving equipment. They'll have access to just about anything.

I was considering running tubes in my Conti MPT80's (tubeless design) - my local guy had a catalog with a half dozen different tubes for that size tire.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Mogasaurus,

The tire place handles and works on big stuff and the manager told me he has access to about anything, he just hasn't found them. So he isn't looking very hard, or they are very hard to find.

They mounted them up with the long stemed tubes and said he would change them out for me when I located the right ones. I thought that was decent, even though he didn't want to take the time to track down the right ones.

If anyone happens to have or is able to find the source for the right tubes, could you let me know please?

Daniel

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
So, it seems that these tubes are a bit harder to find than I expected. I tore off a valve stem last weekend while playing off road, and have been looking for the right tube ever since. The only tubes I've found have the angled stems for dual wheel set ups. The tube that failed was marked 12.50-14.50-20 and is a Continental, but I can't find anyone that can get it with a short straight stem. I will order the right ones if I only could find them. As it is, I had the local recap guys install a 'close' to correct tube, just so I can move the truck. No high speeds till I get this ironed out. Actually, no high speeds ever really. Any thoughts, or good contacts? Thanks, Seth

Also, a 14.5/20 and rim just fit into the back of a 300td wagon. Almost like it was meant to be....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BF Goodrich part number 85817
Size: 420/65R20, 405/70R20, 375/75R20
Valve TR218A

This came from a kind gentleman in Salt Lake. He said they are a good match on Mog rims but, they are not dot rated.

I had blown a tire before I got the chance to try them and I still have two nearly new tubes with the big stems. I got used to them however, I had planned to cut them back and re thread them but I have since changed to tubless tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts