Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW. THis really sucks.

I was just about to change oil, next thing I know - my mechanic tells me I need new rotors with only 13K miles.

I had no warning light on the dash that the pads are done. Why? because the inside pads worn into the rotor. Sensor to trigger the light is on the outside pad - but not the inside. Inside pad started grinding into the rotor.

Thank god it only cost me $400 in parts and labor. If I did that at the dealer - easy $2000 job.

Guess what, no warranty on this. I asked the dealer.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Must be something wrong with the brakes or the driver if you lose pads at that mileage (I know there are others in the US with the same issue, I understand it is the traffic and the style of driving). But the pad sensors should appear on those that wear first or when all wear equally, there would be sufficient time to have them serviced from the indication.

Any reason why one of your brake pistons would be stuck?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had a delivery van that needed new pads every 10,000 miles but that was due to all the stop and go driving I did.

Unless you're doing a lot of that with your S Class, I would think something else is up with the braking system. Does your year do the touching or the rotors when the wipers are on to dry them? If so, maybe that is activating a lot or always.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I had a delivery van that needed new pads every 10,000 miles but that was due to all the stop and go driving I did.

Unless you're doing a lot of that with your S Class, I would think something else is up with the braking system. Does your year do the touching or the rotors when the wipers are on to dry them? If so, maybe that is activating a lot or always.
It cannot be the automatic rotor drying feature, unless there is something seriously wrong with that. All W221 cars (all W211 cars too) do that, but only at rain and the braking force is unnoticeable. My pads are not worn at all and I drive "enough" at rain and have a lot more miles already.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm just throwing things out there for him to look at. Like I said, unless he's doing a lot of stop and go driving for those 13,000 miles, I don't understand how he would need new pads and rotors so soon unless something is going on that he's not noticing while driving.....strange to say the least.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Are you in NYC? Do you do a lot of stop/go driving and has the car been modified (limo?).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a 07 S600 with 15k miles on it and had to replace the rear rotors at 15k miles. They were noticably warped. I thought it was kind of unusual to have to replace at such a low mileage.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I bought a 07 S600 with 15k miles on it and had to replace the rear rotors at 15k miles. They were noticably warped. I thought it was kind of unusual to have to replace at such a low mileage.
You can make them warped within the first 1000 miles probably if intentionally trying to do it. If the rotors were worn out within 15k miles, that would ask for a pretty odd driving style.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem, just brought a 07 with 20,000 miles, when the dealer checked it out he said I need pads and rotors all around as the brakes were almost worn out. I thought that strange with so few miles on the car. I'm just waiting for the light to come on to have them replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Let's all not forget that Mercedes uses the brakes, not just reduced engine output for traction control (whether it is a 4matic vehicle or not) Aswell as stability control etc. I have seen chrysler vehicles (with daimler-benz's traction controls) go through pads in as little as 20 000kms. This is just one of my thoughts on how these cars are eating through the pads as fast as they are.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Thank god it only cost me $400 in parts and labor. If I did that at the dealer - easy $2000 job. Guess what, no warranty on this. I asked the dealer.
MBUSA covers brakes (pads, rotors, etc.), wheel alignment, and road force wheel balancing for one year / 12000 miles whichever comes first under new car initial factory warranty.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Had to have mine replaced at 35K miles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would think it depends on the type of driving you do. Highway driving they should last 50K plus. Stop and go they should go at least 40K, right? Are the OEM pads soft? If so they may go after 20K.

Whats it cost to replace front and rear pads and rotors? Can they turn the rotors on the S550?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I would think it depends on the type of driving you do. Highway driving they should last 50K plus. Stop and go they should go at least 40K, right? Are the OEM pads soft? If so they may go after 20K.

Whats it cost to replace front and rear pads and rotors? Can they turn the rotors on the S550?
Including the regular routine service, oil/fluid changes, balancing and alignment I spent $2150.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ouch! I had my pads check yesterday on my newly purchased 07 S550 and they are at around 50% with 18K miles on them. Front tires have a lot of tread but the rear tires(AMG sport package) will need to be replaced in about 3K miles.

·
Registered
240 Posts
another data point: i just had my second annual service completed last week on my s550v4; it has 17,500m on the odometer. the report came back with 90% brakes left on all four wheels and "greater than 7/32 of tire tread remaining" on all four tires. i have the (upgraded) 19" multi-spoke (non amg sportline) wheels with conti tires. i don't beat on the car at all - just drive it normally. about 1/2 of those miles are long distance interstate miles. for what it is worth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts