Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1980 U1300L
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The valve prior to the dump valve is leaking big time (can only maintain 14bar, not the normal 18). Air was coming out the top thredded portion (nothing screwed in there) so I capped it, and the air found its way out around the circular disk (turny thing). Can this valve be bypassed, that is, put a straight section in and remove the valve? I dont know its function, and even though its not right, didnt want to just remove it.
On a positive note, I changed out my portal oils today, they were all full of very old, but un-contaminated oil. Thanks for any guidance!

Attachments

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
Take it apart, and clean it, check any o-rings, 90% of the time, that will fix air valves, do a search, some others have mentioned good oil to use on air valves with O-rings.

·
Registered
1980 U1300L
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Am I missing the "cap" or a male part that fits the threads on top? It "seems" that there should be something there (?)
Any idea what the valve does (other than leak?) Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1991 U1550L37, 2019 G550
2,030 Posts
my truck was modernized by the BW with an airdryer, but it looks to me like the alcohol injector would go on top of that contraption.

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,436 Posts
That is an alcohol injector with missing reservoir.
If you want it running right, get the new one.
I tried first repair kit which was waste of money,
and ended up buying whole new unit.

·
Registered
1980 U1300L
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you for the responses. I will be putting the truck away December through February, so prolonged "freezing" weather should not be a problem. Is the drying system still needed above freezing, provided you drain your tanks every day? Thanks in advance!

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
I'm always a fan of putting it back to how it was or improving it. I think the tank it self is pretty cheap, I'd give Sean @ Eurotruck a call, see what the damages would be (or maybe a member has a used one). This way, if you ever need it, its there, if not, and you sell the truck, the next owner can use it ;)

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
tkv000 makes a good point.

As far as I know the alcohol systems only introduce anti freezing to the systems. The desiccant canister systems remove the moisture so there is nothing to freeze. So, no you don't need alcohol to operate in warm weather. As a mater of fact the older systems, don't know about the newer ones, had a summer and winter setting. Basically it shut off the system in the summer.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
The ones on the 416's (at least mine) had a wick, that you twisted the T handle, and it lifted up to introduce the alcohol into the system. I don't think it would be a bad thing to have, just make sure not to mix the system with the heating coil and the system with the alcohol injector :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts