Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here know how to get around the governor? i've driven my E320 up to 130 mph then it stopped accelerating and just started to cruise at that speed. it sucks to see 160 at the speedometer and can't get the needle to reach it. thanks.

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon
367 Posts
I think it requires the removal of the ECM and sending it away for a PROM replacement. The reason you have to send it off is that the PROM is a surface mount device (no socket). And unless you have a SMD solder station you don't want to do it your self.

Police care are limited to 130mph because departments are too cheap to buy better tires for cops that are hard on tires to begin with. So if you get a head start they can't catch you (at least on the ground) and your car will handle better than theirs.

Your 320 will not reach 160mph. You don't have enough HP to over come the drag. You'll get above 130 though.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
14 Posts
Also... if you plan on maintaining that speed or even using the brakes at that speed check your tires :)

pressure, speed rating and everything else people usually ignore matter at that speed

·
Registered
99 E 320
753 Posts
I hit 137 a while back in my w210 (still drove smooth). I "thought" the governor was higher up...

·
Registered
1999 E320
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. i drove the car at 130mph because of curiosity. at that time i just put on my 17" 5 spoke amg's w/ yokohama tires. when i hit 130, da car just cruised and drove smooth.

·
Registered
99 E 320
753 Posts
steve-p - 4/13/2005 3:21 AM

Don't believe the speedometer, unless you have verified it with GPS. Even tyre pressures can affect accuracy slightly.
True true. I do know that I was driving with and pulled away from a friend's Honda Accord that is governed at 125. But w/o GPS I will never know for sure. Probably won't hit that speed anytime soon, especially after getting my first speeding ticket yesterday. 85 in a 50 and construction zone, $800. OUCH!!!

·
Registered
98-E430N, 94-400E
3 Posts
We are all born to be free and totally responsible for our actions. If we decide to drive fast and be very professional and carefull then we should. Mine is a 98 E430 that has modified beyond belief. But today this article is about speed. My car did pull to [email protected] in 4rth gear, I then shifted to 5th and cruised @ [email protected], while my RADAR gun proved my hard work paid off and my speedo was only off 2mph @max speed. I just joined this forum today and soon will send ya'll some fantastic ideas,designs,tech uprades,performance and safety ideas that allow you to drive one of the worlds best cars.

·
Registered
98-E430N, 94-400E
3 Posts
Just a short note for jeronimo256. My speedo needle tip did touch the top one third of the number 6 of the 160 number set. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2000 S-500, 1998 E320
2 Posts
Newbie here. I would like to try Bonneville's 130 mph club in September with my 1998 E-320.

However, I really need to delete the govenor to have a chance. Is there a simple cure?
Does anyone know any simple hop-up tricks like cold air intake, or chips that actually work?? Thanks in advance!! Rik

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,546 Posts
I don't know the answer for a 98, but in my car, facelift, it can be removed in the menu in the dash screen. Is there nothing in the manual about it?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Interesting renault12ts, I have never seen the steps in the manual, but I'll look.

Rik, I think anyone with an SDS can delete/modify the governor.

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
905 Posts
NOTE: -- I have brand new M V tires......

any dealer will 'turn it off' for a fee, they will do it 'on the sly' to avoid liability issues.

166 was MY limit, it had more to give than I would risk.

BE SAFE !!!!
B

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,546 Posts
Interesting renault12ts, I have never seen the steps in the manual, but I'll look.

Rik, I think anyone with an SDS can delete/modify the governor.
There are settings you can make at standstill. I can set my max speed to 130, 110, or 100. Or turn it off, meaning no max.

Having looked at a PDF of a USA manual it does not appear that you have the facility.

·
Registered
2000 S-500, 1998 E320
2 Posts
Thank you for the info. I wonder if the local indy shop could re-program the govenor to delete the 130 mph setting. If not I'll try MBSD $$$ or maybe just bolt on the taller tires to at least make 130. Thanks for the help everyone!!

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
905 Posts
renault could you post...

the detail of how to reset the limiter as I would like to try it on mine to see if that will work.
I am sure many would like the info.
THX
B

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,546 Posts
the detail of how to reset the limiter as I would like to try it on mine to see if that will work.
I am sure many would like the info.
THX
B
I replied to your PM. I have checked my manual, it says the function I speak of is only available in Germany...or my car.:D:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts