Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
A battery that lasts less than 3 years is defective or the charging system is bad or car battery allowed to run down. If the car came with a wet cells, replace with a wet cell. If cam with agm replace with agm battery. The charging routine and voltages are different. 0.2 to 0.3 volts.

·
Registered
2001 E320 4matic wagon
129 Posts
You are probably right. Amazon will refund full amount and no shipping so no loss there. Got the battery from a local Interstate distributor. Called a week ago, asked about an MTP 49/H8, blem/refurbished. He put me on a list and called back a few days later, quoted $60 said he'd hold it for me. Battery dated 1/19 so nearly a year old. Had been installed in a vehicle. They refurbished and tested good. Has only 90 day warranty, but hell, for that price even if it goes bad in a year or two its still a deal. He had new ones there for $189, so pretty good discount. Parts stores are getting around $160 for similar, Walmart $119 but I've heard some bad reports on their batteries, wouldn't chance it. They were nice guys to work with, he carried the battery to my car, put it in the seatwell, and installed the vent tube for me. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the deal!
Everything costs more in Seattle, it seems. I can get a blem H8 Interstate (800cca) for $80. Comes with a 6-month free replacement, 2 year prorated warranty. On the other hand, 900cca batteries from Walmart ("Everstart") or Advanced Autoparts ("Autocraft Gold") are only $40 (edit: oops, I meant $40 MORE. So $120, not $40). I have a feeling the ol' 320 isn't going to be around the family for more than another year so I'll probably take the expensive blem.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
5,767 Posts
Everything costs more in Seattle, it seems. I can get a blem H8 Interstate (800cca) for $80. Comes with a 6-month free replacement, 2 year prorated warranty. On the other hand, 900cca batteries from Walmart ("Everstart") or Advanced Autoparts ("Autocraft Gold") are only $40. I have a feeling the ol' 320 isn't going to be around the family for more than another year so I'll probably take the expensive blem.
You mean $140 ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
When Pepboys has their sale while champion or Bosch has their rebate, the price can go down to $170 for s new agm battery with a 4 year free replacement warranty. But I would still be tempted on the Interstate returned one for $80.

·
Registered
2001 E320 4matic wagon
129 Posts
When Pepboys has their sale while champion or Bosch has their rebate, the price can go down to $170 for s new agm battery with a 4 year free replacement warranty. But I would still be tempted on the Interstate returned one for $80.
Yeah, I went with that. If it fails, in a year the prorated amount will probably cover the price difference between this one and the walmart or advance auto battery. Plus I get a year out of it. Assuming I have the car in a year. One nice thing about this battery (all the stickers are gone so I have no idea which model it is, but it was made this month) - they've gone to a side vent (vs. my current dead Interstate with the middle vent) so the Benz vent plugs right in.
My $120 Bosch come with 96 months warranty.
I could barely find Bosch batteries let alone a deal on one. I probably would have gone that route, had it been available.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,916 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320 4matic wagon
129 Posts
Price went up, but still a bargain. $120 today if you have the core.
Site is cookie based, so try to copy/paste the link, instead of clicking on it.
Thanks. Well, crud. I probably would have gone with that (picking up at PB would be closer and less gross than walmart @ the same price). I tried to get the pepboys website to sell me a battery last week and I couldn't add anything to cart. I assumed it was because we only have a couple Pepboys around here and they're tire+service only but it must have been a cookie issue. Come to think of it, I had the same issue trying to buy tires a few years ago. But yeah, your link let me select one for in-store (Friday pick up). I can return the Interstate, but for credit only so I guess I'll hang onto it. It'll be like an experiment. Do blem batteries last? ;-)

PS -- other than the strap (mine has the folding handles on each side), that battery looks identical to the blem interstate. I wonder if my Interstate had a Bosch sticker on it once?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,916 Posts
Suppose whole USA has 2 batteries manufacturers, so the rest is just labeling and making the specifications.
Bosch is famous electronics manufacturer. Have never seen Bosch batteries in Europe, just like MB oil.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts