Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ! My 01 E430 4matic has 13 years old battery.. winter is coming and according to the news we is going to have rough winter ...
Should I replace the battery or just get small jump boost and keep old battery ??? Just in case.
Last winter we had like -10 F ..and the engine was turning very very slowly... but I get started every time with no problem ..
Just wonder if my battery will outlast this winter ?
Mercedes doesn't make this batteries any more . With that longevity thing .
Guys any advice ??? And anybody has a car with old battery ?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,244 Posts
13 years out of a battery is fantastic. Is it a marine battery?

It's up to you, you have to judge it yourself whether or not to replace it. Here's another way to think about it....how much of an impact will a dead battery life have on you when you need to go to work right this very second? Do you have leeway at work? Do you have multiple cars, etc? Whatever the case, you have to judge that in the event that the battery may unexpectedly die on you, would you be severely impacted by it?

If answer to any of that is yes, change it now. Buy the expensive ones, maybe from dealer, maybe a marine deep cycle battery, whatever. And keep it going for another 10 years.

If no, you have multiple cars and don't mind it, then keep that money in your pocket until it actually fails for real, then change it then.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Deplore for advice ;)
And it's a Genuine Mercedes battery..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Btw does anybody know what is price at the dealer if buy a battery? It's a group 49 size...

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Agree with Deplore.
Count your good fortune with that battery, but it’s well past time to replace it.
A test you can perform is to measure the voltage after an overnight rest and before you start the engine.
It wants to be above 12.5 for a sufficiently charged battery.
Test again after starting and it should be in the high 13 volt range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Whenever you’re ready, just pick one up from Advance, or your closest easy place. MB batteries are made by Interstate now. It used to be Hoppecke, but they were bought up by Varta, I think. What gives them their longevity in the W210 is not the make of the battery, but. Wait for it....
Wait
Wait

The fact that the battery is in the passenger compartment under much more favorable conditions than the hot engine room.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Agree with Deplore.
Count your good fortune with that battery, but it’s well past time to replace it.
A test you can perform is to measure the voltage after an overnight rest and before you start the engine.
It wants to be above 12.5 for a sufficiently charged battery.
Test again after starting and it should be in the high 13 volt range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here's something else to consider, even though you get the car started when it's slow cranking, that's not good for the starter.. By delaying the replacement of battery, it might end up costing you a new starter..
I also agree with Hirnbeiss,.. The MB battery that you buy today, is not the same as what's in the car now.. Myself, I like to buy the biggest battery that I can physically fit in, with the highest cold crank amps, at the best price..

·
Registered
35,795 Posts
We had reports of original batteries on W210 lasting 17 years, when 13 was not biggest.
Hate to use slogans, but "they don't make them like that anymore" pushes its way to mind.
My son was "testing" the battery on his ML. Living in warm climate he got 13 years out of it, but finally after 3rd morning jump he decided to get a new one.
There are no foolproof testing methods for batteries, but I have 50 amp load tester AND Solar tester, who is digital era gizmo.
Between the 2 I can tell good battery.
Than Bosch batteries sell for about $120, so it is not big expense.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The Battery in my 2002 E320 Special Edition died last week. It was a Mercedes-Benz battery. I checked the date on the battery and it was October of 2005. Yes, 15 years old.
I picked up a Champion AGM battery from Pepboys for $159. Like Kajtek said, they have a special if you oder on line.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
W210 Moderator
4,969 Posts
The flooded cell design is at a slight disadvantage vs the gell or AGM since there is more solution exposed to the cold. one would need to be on top of the maintenance by ensuring that the battery is in good health and as fully charged as possible.

low charge = less dense = more water = lower cranking output ... higher freezing level.

compare that with a battery with higher voltage/charge = more acid = more dense = lower freezing level (fully charged doesn't freeze until -90ºF)

that said, I still use a flooded cell battery. I don't mind having to inspect fluid level and measure specific gravity of the solution. I inspect (5 mins) and charge the battery overnight once a month

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yeah that's so true, the 'in car' climate under rear seat really helps out ! Our battery is probably that age - we've had the car 5 years exactly and it looked older the day we got it.

I think the ML / w163 takes the same size battery - I just got it al Walmart in their EverStart AGM for $139 or 149, and has a full 5 year warranty.

I imagine such an AGM would perhaps outlast the remainder of life on our near 20 year old w210 !

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi guys ! My 01 E430 4matic has 13 years old battery.. winter is coming and according to the news we is going to have rough winter ...
Should I replace the battery or just get small jump boost and keep old battery ??? Just in case.
Last winter we had like -10 F ..and the engine was turning very very slowly... but I get started every time with no problem ..
Just wonder if my battery will outlast this winter ?
Mercedes doesn't make this batteries any more . With that longevity thing .
Guys any advice ??? And anybody has a car with old battery ?
Change your battery! You have already beaten the odds. Batteries normally last 5 years, give or take.

My point is that you're gonna change your battery sooner or later. Do it now so you avoid the hassle of changing it at an inconvenient time later. You can use either a Group 49 or a 93. I prefer the 49s, 950 CCA.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
These days when they go they give no warning. They are just dead.
I like to change mine at 5 years.
You have been on norrowed time for....some time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would strongly advise searching the internet for "rebuilt batteries near you". If you have a reputable dealer available, a battery that retails for $150 might cost about $35. I have bought only these for the last 40 years for various MBZ's and never had a single one that I didn't get at least 5 years out of. Most will be ones that are new but installed by mistake (bad alternator or other cause of trouble) then removed and returned to the distributor of them who sells them to the "rebuilder" because they are now "used". I have bought the big ones for my diesels and small, sealed ones for my SL550. Find a good place before you actually need one so you will be prepared.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Should I replace the battery or just get small jump boost and keep old battery ???
My friend you should have it "bronzed" . . . 13 years! Most batteries last 2 - 2-1/2 years so that one deserves a place on the mantle!! :)

My wife's Honda battery died (2-1/2years) and bought one at Pep Boys; Champion w/ 800CA for . . . $88.00 w/ a 30month warranty. Best battery I seen in awhile.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The old adage goes: "Summer kills batteries, winter buries them" is very true. If you are talking about your daily driver I would get a new battery. I would not get a marine deep cycle as someone recommended as a starting battery for a couple of reasons. They are built for slow discharge and repeated deep discharges. Exactly the opposite of what you ask a starting battery to do. Quick high discharge over a very short period, and then immediate recharge. The other issue would be finding one with a vent.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts