Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to replace the visco fan with an electric fan but in the 79 450SLC, the battery is in the trunk. Where can I source 12V under the hood? I see a few wires coming out from the alternator. I assume I can source 12V from one of them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can I source 12v from the wire to aux. fan?

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,302 Posts
I believe there is a junction box under the hood on the passenger side, where the battery positive cable is connected to the under hood wiring.

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip dugald. I think I found it. :)

Now, a simple question. where's the ground?

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,903 Posts
Thanks for the tip dugald. I think I found it. :)

Now, a simple question. where's the ground?
You can ground just about anywhere you can put a screw in the body. But if you don't want to put extra holes in the car find anyplace with an existing brown wire and you have a grounding point. Also just about any bolt that is mounting a part on the wheel housing could be used.:thumbsup:

What size fan are you using? How many CFM does it pull. I have thought about doing the same on my '73.

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a $30 16" fan from ebay. It's pretty thin and fits the radiator pretty well. It claims to have 2700 CFM and draw 12 amp. I'll post the result in this forum.

I think I just drill a hole for the ground since I have to drill two holes to hold the thermo switch anyway. Thanks.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,196 Posts
You can ground just about anywhere you can put a screw in the body. But if you don't want to put extra holes in the car find anyplace with an existing brown wire and you have a grounding point. Also just about any bolt that is mounting a part on the wheel housing could be used.:thumbsup:

What size fan are you using? How many CFM does it pull. I have thought about doing the same on my '73.
It think I still have the electric fan for the AC condenser.

·
Registered
1977 280SL Euro
202 Posts
Just a suggestion. On the BMW's when we mount a electric fan out front of the raditor, we wire it through a spare relay and fuse in the existing electrocal box and mount an on/off switch under the dash out of sight, that way when in traffic, before any over heating starts, you just flip the switch and start keeping everything cool. They work great and the guage never goes beyond the center point, about 195 degrees F.

Jerry - 1977 280SL

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Yes, I read about the manual switch fan on the BMW forum. I prefer the automatic temp. control switch. It's $40 on ebay and came with relay and fuse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts