Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 300 sl red/pala
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has upgraded their interior to the late (97/98? door panels, seats & steering wheel. I do like to upgrade my cars; to date I have added 98' AMG Sport effects, fact. xenon lighting & BR5's from Lowenhart. Looks great, will post some pics later. Can anyone help? I'm like my buddy Chinche
Code:
Your text here
:) If someone tells me it can't be done, I'll try it.

Thanks in advance for any help from the great thinkers on this site

Lewis

·
Registered
92 300E
78 Posts
I'd be interested in this too. I have a 1996 SL500 and would like to upgrade the instru...

I'd be interested in this too. I have a 1996 SL500 and would like to upgrade the instrument pannel to the 99+ look with the chrome around the dials.

·
Registered
MB 300 SL
16 Posts
Chrome Rings Soon Avaliable

I am the Director Of Marketing for a company in Wisconsin and the Proud owner of a SL. We are currently developing a kit for the sl 129 series to give it chrome trim rings in the cluster and accents around the switches. If you are interesetd give Dech-Tech a call and ask for the Driving Image Department or ask for me (Rich) at 800-207-8778. I would be interested if there is a market for these kits and what people would be willing to pay for them.

·
Registered
MB 300 SL
16 Posts
As Promised Interior Upgrades

As I promised during an earlier thread my company has designed a new interior upgrade package for the 129. It includes Switch Rings, Inginition Key Suround, Shifter Suround, Memory Seat Switch Surounds, and my favorite part an inlay for the Steering Wheel!!!!!!

To Check it out cut and past

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2418470931

I listed this set to see what the reaction would be. We will be retailing these for $149.95. Please let me know what you think of the kit and if you beleive there would be a market for it.

Thank you,

Rich
1992 MB SL300
1994 Porsche 911 C2
1979 Porsche 928
1997 BMW M3
Driving-Image
(800) 992-7753

·
Registered
92 300E
78 Posts
Hi,

This is the guy from California that you talked to a few weeks back for input on th...

Hi,

This is the guy from California that you talked to a few weeks back for input on this. I see a couple of problems with this. First off, where are the rings around the gauges? Second, the trim for the seat adjustment will block the lighted surfaces (at least they're lighted on my 1996 SL500). Lastly, they changed the steering wheel for 1996+ SL's to a different design (I can send photos if you like).

·
Registered
91 300 sl red/pala
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE: 129sl interior /exterior upgrades

Hello all! Happy New Year. Just an update on a topic I bought up last year. I asked if anyone had done a door panel upgrade from 90-95 to a 96 & later panel, no replies. I have successfully converted to the later style panel, boy what a difference it makes.

Now I will tell you this conversion is not for the skimish!! It has taken some time and thought. First off the panels are VERY EXPENSIVE!!!!!! about 1,100.00
at the dismantler. OUCH!!! But I had to try!! You must modify the speaker housing(trimming about 2" off), relocate the bracket to mount near the door handle, on the new model there is one screw plus the plastic clips. Now if you are sitting down, the biggest chore is that you have to put in the door knob (early car do not have) so to keep the door actuator working I had to buy the parts from the dealer( approx 30.00) clips included. there is a plastic housing that has to be cut to add in the door knob hardware, I simply used small yellow ties to secure to the stock location, it works. I will have to take some cutting to the top of the rail to allow the decorative door knob trim to sit flush with the top of the door panel. It's a lot of work and I still need to do the passenger side.

I will have all the kinks worked out, so it should go much smoother. I will keep you posted, and will try to post some pics this week. Keep in mind that you will have to dye match after installation is complete.
Leave this to a professional. I also won some late style mirrors on ebay (oval shaped) they are mounted, but I will need to make up a wiring harness since there is only one plug-in instead of two, I think I will wait until spring to tackle that one. If there is a benz electrical guy reading this I will accept ANY HELP in trying to figure out the harness thing.

I must say that I love the look of the conversions, but it does take some time and much thinking.

Will post pics soon

rundlc

·
Registered
92 300E
78 Posts
I just invested in some upgrades for mine as well. I, too, bought some oval style mirrors from eBay (did you get yours from some place in the Netherlands?), chrome rings for the guage bezels, new leather for the interior, a new grille (mine was damaged, sport bra. Mine is a 96 so I already had the interior door pannels.

On the mirrors, I had the mechanic take a look at them and we found that the connectors are different, but the number of wires are the same. Apparently there is a plastic part on the inside of the old mirror that I will have to use on the new one, but the mechanic thinks it will be fairly easy to do. Mine has also been in the shop for 4 months so I have all the goodies waiting in a closet ready for installation, but post some pics of yours and let me know where you got your mirrors.

·
Registered
91 500 SL
14 Posts
I havnt really been worring to much about the interior on mine yet but have been considering doing the same thing you have discussed. I did want to know where you aquiried the sport effects for your car. I wanted the front and rear bumpers, and the side skirts. last weekend I installed the 2001 Xenon lights I purchased for it as well as my clear corners, I am still looking for 2001 Tail Lights if anyone knows where I can get some for a reasonable price. Also have Lowenhart rims but mine are BS5's. What size did you manage to fit under yours, the ones I put on are 20's and a little big for the car, but they look so Fing cool, they fill the entire wheel well and then some... they rub a little.

Black300E, Newport huh? I work right by the spectrum... lol small world. Would like to check out your upgrades when you get your car back. drop me some mail and maybe we can meet at the Yard House (in CM) one night.

Dalton

·
Registered
91 300 sl red/pala
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually won those from a guy in Beruit Lebanon 513.00 for the pair. I do hope it is easy to wire those up, in the meantime the motors just won't work LOL LOL.

I will try to post some pics within the next day or two, I have to round up some batteries (kids keep stealing them)

·
Registered
91 300 sl red/pala
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RE: 129sl interior upgrades/dalton

You can pick up the tail light lenses in your backyard, There is a benz dealer called Caliber Motors. They are great guys to deal with, I save quite a bit over my local dealer. if you cant find post me another note and I will look it up for you.

On the ground effects, do you want aftermarket or orig? I found all my stuff on this forum site in the classified ads, however performance products has the stuff but I think they are high priced. Go to your web browser and type in " Ground effects" a lot of stuff will pop up. You just need to navigate thru it.

I will look and let you know if I find anything.

·
Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,293 Posts
rundlc - 1/7/2004 10:12 PM

I actually won those from a guy in Beruit Lebanon 513.00 for the pair. I do hope it is easy to wire those up, in the meantime the motors just won't work LOL LOL.

I will try to post some pics within the next day or two, I have to round up some batteries (kids keep stealing them)
I was checking old discussion forums, and I came across this. So sorry for the delay. I went through the whole upgrade myself. Interior & Exterior. I had the same trouble in mounting the new door panels, like you said. I own a 1993 SL.
You can check my gallery for photos:
http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/showlink.asp?CatID=10431&parentID=26&subname=My_Special_SILVER_ARROW&parentname=.
Another coincidence is that I think I'm the guy you bought the mirrors from. Your user name was nahtrac, right?? I guessed that from the color of your SL. Well, it's a small world after all. I would like to see some photos of your can and see the difference.

·
Registered
2005 C320k
69 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've got this type of cup hold in my 2002 SL500 which I find very functional.

I've noticed that other MBs (sedans) have wood in lieu of the plastic on the sliding door on this storage compartment, is this available for the SL?

C.

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
My SL600 has the wood cover. Which needs a new handle. So if anyone has replaced their sliding door with a new one and has an extra handle drop me a note [:)]

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
Yes it is one of the features of the SL600.

·
Registered
2005 C320k
69 Posts
atomsrock - 6/4/2004 4:47 PM

I've got this type of cup hold in my 2002 SL500 which I find very functional.

I've noticed that other MBs (sedans) have wood in lieu of the plastic on the sliding door on this storage compartment, is this available for the SL?

C.
Yes it's available as an accessory for the R129s URL:
http://www.mbsca.com(very useful link)

·
Registered
91 300 sl red/pala
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RE: 129sl interior upgrades/door panel update/ looking for black300

Hello All, I've been away from it for awhile, but I am finally able to post a couple of pics of the door panel conversion I did on my 91 300sl. I have said before it's a ton of work and expensive. I had to try cause a couple of folks told me it could not be done.

I have also updated my mirrors to the 99 style, however I need a harness to get the motors to work, I understand that "black300" may have done this if so I would love to talk to him.

rundlc

Attachments

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
From the exterior, you should also change the door handles to make the color matching with the body for the post 99' looks. Anyway, nice work. I bet it was tough to do. I have the leather steering wheel for 99-02 R129 model (without airbag). If you are interested, let me know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts