Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a code showing that I have a bad ABS relay. There are two relays on the ABS hydraulic unit. Does anyone know how to test the relays to see which one is the culprit?

Thanks
Ronw435

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found the relays for the ABS. I pulled each one out and ran a continuity test on them. One showed that it was stuck closed. One showed open. I triggered the relays by applying 12 volts to each. Both triggered. Now each one shows that they are open and when 12 volts are applied each close. Would you believe that it was just stuck and now it is ok? I purchased a new one but in the process of checking them I forgot which one was stuck.............duhhhh!

Happy New Year to all

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes SL 320
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have replaced the relays and the stop switch and the ABS/ETS lights are still on. I checked with code reader and get a 12 which says "ABS/ETS Hydraulic unit relays. I can clear the code but as soon as you start it again it will fault. And the lights never go out. I have tried the ETS by spinning the wheels in the dirt and they will spin without any ETS action.

I thought the cruise would work after changing the stop switch but it still does not work. I checked the code on pin 7 and it only blinks one time which is "no code".

Any one have any ideas.

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
'95 SL320
10 Posts
I found the relays for the ABS. I pulled each one out and ran a continuity test on them. One showed that it was stuck closed. One showed open. I triggered the relays by applying 12 volts to each. Both triggered. Now each one shows that they are open and when 12 volts are applied each close. Would you believe that it was just stuck and now it is ok? I purchased a new one but in the process of checking them I forgot which one was stuck.............duhhhh!

Happy New Year to all

Thanks
Ron
Hi Ron, I'm having trouble locating the ABS relays on my 95 SL320. Where did you find them? Are they inside the cabin?
Thanks, Max

·
Registered
'95 SL320
10 Posts
Hi Ron, I'm having trouble locating the ABS relays on my 95 SL320. Where did you find them? Are they inside the cabin?
Thanks, Max
Found the relays - now just need to figure out which is which.. I've been searching the forum for a while and can't seem to find the blasted info. I've got a Code 24 so am looking to replace the K20/1 high pressure/return pump relay. Can't find the p/n either... ugh - what a way to spend a Sunday... =o(

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,121 Posts
AutoHousAz shows 2 different relays for ABS :
BOSCH 0332002171 is 4 pins (for ABS/ETS/ASR/ESP Control)
and Wittrin 0015426719 is 6 pins (at ABS Pressure Regulator)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts