Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently aquired an 86 420 SEL euro. The trunk will not open. Key turns the lock in both directions without hooking up with the release. I have reviewed many post regarding trunk won't open and have come to this conclusion:

I can not locate or my car doesn't have the emergency release cable under the rear seat.

I could possible break out a tail light but really hate to do that because it has nice euro tail lights.

One post mentioned putting a 2X4 under the lip of the deck lid and hitting it with a hammer?

So which way would you guys go? Tail light? or 2X4? or even better yet another alternative.

By the way if there is anyone in the PNW needing a decent euro for a project or parts car I will let this one go real cheap. Lost my work space. Runs and drive good, just needs some attention.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,483 Posts
Does it feel like the release button is attached to anything - any resistance?

My first thought is push down on the trunk to unload the latch then "stab" the button. Push the button quickly and firmly with a finger. With the button still pushed in, see if the trunk lid will lift.

With the button pushed in, smack the trunk lid straight forward (toward the front of the car) on the chrome strip over the button, then try it upwards. This with either a hand or a rubber mallet.

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no resistance when pushing button. Same feel in lock or unlock key position. Will try the mallet when the rain let's up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not sure about MB but I do believe that other cars you can gain access to the trunk by removing the back seat.

Please don't get out the hammers/bars and start prying!

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
I had the same problem one time at the junkyard when my bro tried to unlock my trunk when it was already unlocked. It was loose and wouldn't open in either direction. Try locking your doors and then unlocking the trunk with the key, or visa versa. Try a number of different combinations, it eventually worked for me.

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,321 Posts
Here is another thread where a similar problem is discussed.

Trunk lock problem-W126 300SD - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Eventually, you may want to get a lock mechanism, see exactly how it operates and then get your Bosch 1/2" gear driven corded drill, put in the 3/4" titanium bit and make an air hole where the cylinder used to be.

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,600 Posts
1, you can't get to the trunk via the back seat, sheet metal is in the way.

2, I don't think those are euro lights you have. They seem to have the red reflector edges. That makes them very cheaply replaceble.

3, If you decide to go thru the tail lighs, I would cut them instead of breaking them to aviod damage to the sheet metal.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
I'd go with the different lock/unlock combinations at different locks - make sure you're using the master key.

Unusual car...what's the story?

·
Registered
`81 W123 280E, `83 W126 280SE, `85 W126 280SE, `91 W126 500SE, `96 W202 C180T, `99 W202 C220CDI
511 Posts
I have posted somewhere this description as the last solution!

Drill a hole in the right side of the plastic that is around the button at 45 degrees from the center of the button ( aprox 4 o`clock :) ) ... aprox 8-10 mm from the edge of the button.

With a screw driver you have acces to the release mechanism, you can pus the hook that is holding the trunk closed and you will have acces !

Good luck!

I have done this so it is working! ( the hole was made before by the previous owner)

·
Registered
w126
1,535 Posts
That's sounds like a great way to do it. Two questions. What diameter is the hole? To what depth do you drill?

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the info, I will put my drill on charge in the morning. Everyone has been a great help. Just need to open the trunk to replace a tail light bulb to make it legal. If anyone in the North West is interested, I will sell the car for $900 with the original wheels, or $1200 with real German Chrome Centra's with almost new tires. I just have too many projects and just lost my garage space. Engine and tranny are strong. One could part out the euro stuff etc. and maybe make a couple of bucks. Just tell me what size bit to use and I am all over it.
Will try the different lock combo's but the car has an aftermarket Alpine remote alarm and keyless entry that I think has bypassed the door vacuum pump and trunk solenoid. Can't locate a key fob at this time.

·
Registered
`81 W123 280E, `83 W126 280SE, `85 W126 280SE, `91 W126 500SE, `96 W202 C180T, `99 W202 C220CDI
511 Posts
That's sounds like a great way to do it. Two questions. What diameter is the hole? To what depth do you drill?
You can make the hole as wide as your drill is! I think mine is aprox 8 mm! That black plastic piece around the trunk button is like a cover to the machanism, if you perforate it you will have acces to what is under. It is only a few mm thick, it is easy to drill in!

...Just need to open the trunk to replace a tail light bulb to make it legal...

I think you need more than that...:D As: to put things on the trunk, maybe...or...I don`t know...to get acces to the spare wheel...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trunk is open! After myself and a friend tech pulled the seats out and searching for the magical secret emergency cable I tried one of our members easiest solutions. Lock and unlock the passenger front door. Boom. It locked then unlocked all the doors including the trunk. Man do I feel really stupid! My tech friend said the aftermarket wireless alarm and keyless entry box was inserted into the circuit and disabled the door keys. Well part of that was true, but when I got into the car and pushed the button down on the door I could hear all the mechanisms work and most important was the trunk. Opened the door which unlocked everything. So right now I am happy to be in the trunk but again feeling like a complete idiot. I have owned over 16 Mercedes - I know better - guess I got caught up listening to my friend about the aftermarket alarm etc. Thanks to all for your replies. I am happy to accept the dummy of the week award. Mike:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,483 Posts
Mike,
Glad to hear that it is your turn for Dummy of the Week!! At least this way I can now give it up and we won't have to engrave another label for it!!

Mike

·
Registered
'89 420SEL, '93 300E and '07 Hyu Santa Fe
562 Posts
Oh....don't rush for Dummy of the Week!! award yet. I am there on top.

-Did my first oil change on 420sel. No leaks everything looks good.
-I was bragging about it to my family then decided to go for santa fe oil change.
-Opened oil filter cap went underneath car to unbolt oil drain bolt.
-Realised old oil from merc is still there in pan.
-Went to lube center to recycle it. Came back forgetting that oil filter cap is open. -Went to start a car to warm up oil.

Do i need to explain more.....

3 hours and lot of elbow grease and news paper oil is now cleaned from drive way but it's still oily. Still need to clean santa fe engine before take it for drive.

This award is for me. But still happy that I will never let anyone touch any of my car for oil change.....Ever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts