Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I can't kick the habit. Sold 3 cars and now have my eye on another.
I know this car is a Euro 83 500SEL, has AMG body kit, lowered and correct AMG wheels. No changes in cluster, steering wheel etc. Owner thinks it is a standard euro under the hood. I have to drive about 3+ hours to view the car, so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can. Thanks in advance for your help. Mike

Vin#WDB12603612033031

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Yup. I did it, it gives you more accurate information on your vin than the free websites and it's a great resource if you're looking for part numbers etc.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to register and for free you get info on NA cars. It would not let me register for free. Kicked me out because I wouldn't submit a CC #. I don't feel very secure giving my CC info for something free. So hopefully someone could please run the vin for me. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
Euro and worldwide cars access is $12.00 a year. You cannot access Euro VIN on the free NA site. If you find half a dozen part numbers then the $12.00 is well worth the cost of admission.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paid the $12. For some reason program won't work on my PC. Chalk it up as a bad day.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
try updating java or maybe clearing your java cache. (go to start, control panel, java, and then update and or temporary internet files, delete files)

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it to work. Got a data card. I know the options. I will explore the site and see what else I can find. Thanks for the help. Mike

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to Portland 5 yrs ago to buy that car. I studied the photos provided at that time for days and had cash in my pocket when I landed at the used car dealership. I had called such dealer a couple times and had some questions etc. At that time they said the car was at their dealership repair facility because of a minor issue with a window operating but the car would be fine when I got there. Gave the owner a days notice and planned my trip. So I arrived there on-time for my 1 pm appointment. Car was not there! Was told it was at the repair shop and now getting cleaned up and to come back in a couple hours. Oh well, I left and returned at 3pm. There it was, black on black AMG w126 shorty that I was prepared to purchase. I think I may have posted something about this car at that time but wouldn't know how to find the post, therefore this info is from memory.

The car from 10+ ft. was exactly what I expected, shinny, black, penta's, AMG body kit etc. That moment was the best part of the trip. As I got closer it got worse, car had been repainted (mediocre at best) and a few areas where the chrome was blacked out had peeled off. The car was 040 black but someone had added the glossiest clearcoat I have ever seen which gave me an uneasy feeling up close. I was a little disappointed but still just had to have this car. So I took it for a test drive, that's when the owner told me it might need a tune-up. At that time the car barely ran, front end was loose as a goose, transmission wasn't shifting as it should and the brakes scared the sh*t out of me. I looked the car over once we returned from the test drive. My conclusion was this was a beat (not loved) euro shorty with AMG kit and penta's. That was it. Examined the suspension, engine etc. with absolutely no indication of AMG upgrades. The car was offered to me for $4500 at that time and I walked.

Now it is 5 years later and hopefully the car has been repaired, seen some love and all services are "up-to-date". I see these latest photos and still want that car! The overall looks are about as cool as any w126 AMG

I will be watching this auction and recommend that anyone interested should get the car inspected in the Portland area. There are a couple great indie MB shops with a MB dealership as well.

·
Premium Member
16 Silverado CC LT 4WD, 12 BMW K1600GTL, 11 Infiniti G37, 10 Infiniti G37x
5,828 Posts
That thing is a beauty! :cool:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thank you for posting, very informative! I'm sorry it didn't work out. Traveling a long way for a car that isn't as good in person is the worst. Fingers crossed that the car is in better shape now.

I will update my post at GCFSB with a link to this thread.

I went to Portland 5 yrs ago to buy that car. I studied the photos provided at that time for days and had cash in my pocket when I landed at the used car dealership. I had called such dealer a couple times and had some questions etc. At that time they said the car was at their dealership repair facility because of a minor issue with a window operating but the car would be fine when I got there. Gave the owner a days notice and planned my trip. So I arrived there on-time for my 1 pm appointment. Car was not there! Was told it was at the repair shop and now getting cleaned up and to come back in a couple hours. Oh well, I left and returned at 3pm. There it was, black on black AMG w126 shorty that I was prepared to purchase. I think I may have posted something about this car at that time but wouldn't know how to find the post, therefore this info is from memory.

The car from 10+ ft. was exactly what I expected, shinny, black, penta's, AMG body kit etc. That moment was the best part of the trip. As I got closer it got worse, car had been repainted (mediocre at best) and a few areas where the chrome was blacked out had peeled off. The car was 040 black but someone had added the glossiest clearcoat I have ever seen which gave me an uneasy feeling up close. I was a little disappointed but still just had to have this car. So I took it for a test drive, that's when the owner told me it might need a tune-up. At that time the car barely ran, front end was loose as a goose, transmission wasn't shifting as it should and the brakes scared the sh*t out of me. I looked the car over once we returned from the test drive. My conclusion was this was a beat (not loved) euro shorty with AMG kit and penta's. That was it. Examined the suspension, engine etc. with absolutely no indication of AMG upgrades. The car was offered to me for $4500 at that time and I walked.

Now it is 5 years later and hopefully the car has been repaired, seen some love and all services are "up-to-date". I see these latest photos and still want that car! The overall looks are about as cool as any w126 AMG

I will be watching this auction and recommend that anyone interested should get the car inspected in the Portland area. There are a couple great indie MB shops with a MB dealership as well.

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,172 Posts
Is the AMG badge a little small?
It looks like the end of the post-merger badge.:|

Not like this pre-merger one.

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,343 Posts
Yes it is an aftermarket ebay version and as mentioned appears the SE it has been dressed up at some stage in its life - looks good except for the fake badge

·
Registered
1977 450 SEL 6.9
816 Posts
Sure looks nice. Great stance. But the seat and dash are both big ticket items. A pity this was not corrected and will greatly hurt the sale in the end.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts