Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 300SE (Mitzi); 2003 CLK 430 cabrio (Clifford)
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. 2019 was a crazy year, and so I regrettably haven’t had much time on the forum in the past six months or more.

I’ve recently had a ton of work done to my 300SE—mainly engine and suspension—and she’s pretty much fit as a fiddle mechanically. So now it’s time for the make-her-pretty part of my ongoing project—if I can swing it money-wise. I know that getting a car painted is as much art as science. And on these cars, trim and prep is more than half the work.

I’m in the greater Los Angeles area—more specifically North Orange County. My question is easy, but I think it’s a long shot: Is there anyone reading this who knows of a good paint shop that knows these cars and will do the right job? I’m not changing colors (desert taupe), but I’m going to have to educate myself on this whole process. It’s the old case of a warm referral being better than a cold-call.

Any help is appreciated. I hope 2020 treats you all well.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,735 Posts
Paint is something where you definitely need to “know someone” if you want to get a quality job at a decent price , otherwise you’ll get crap work or pay far more than needed . I’ve seen people pay $8000 and get terrible work and others pay $2000 and get great work

·
Registered
1990 420SEL
1 Posts
I'm in LA, and looking to do a color change paint on my 420. Let me know if you find somewhere decent. Really hoping to keep it in the $1-1.5k range.

Hello, everyone. 2019 was a crazy year, and so I regrettably haven’t had much time on the forum in the past six months or more.

I’ve recently had a ton of work done to my 300SE—mainly engine and suspension—and she’s pretty much fit as a fiddle mechanically. So now it’s time for the make-her-pretty part of my ongoing project—if I can swing it money-wise. I know that getting a car painted is as much art as science. And on these cars, trim and prep is more than half the work.

I’m in the greater Los Angeles area—more specifically North Orange County. My question is easy, but I think it’s a long shot: Is there anyone reading this who knows of a good paint shop that knows these cars and will do the right job? I’m not changing colors (desert taupe), but I’m going to have to educate myself on this whole process. It’s the old case of a warm referral being better than a cold-call.

Any help is appreciated. I hope 2020 treats you all well.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,735 Posts
No way to get decent for $1000. Best you’ll get for that price is no proper prep work and a quick spray of something that looks pretty for a year then peels off .

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,665 Posts
Paint is so difficult. I've messed around with it a while ago and now I understand why it's so expensive to look good.

·
Premium Member
1989 300SE (Mitzi); 2003 CLK 430 cabrio (Clifford)
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in LA, and looking to do a color change paint on my 420. Let me know if you find somewhere decent. Really hoping to keep it in the $1-1.5k range.
Threewise, if you weren’t just being facetious with your comment, then here’s my honest reply: I’m no expert, but this much I do know: Alone a gallon of car paint can cost upwards of $2,000. Just for one gallon. And on these cars, prep is more than half the work. I’m guessing there’s 50-75 hours of prep and putting everything back on once it’s painted. Far more than that if you’re changing colors. If you don‘t prep correctly, your paint job is going to look about as good as Earl Scheib’s did in 1970 for $99.

I simply cannot see changing the color on an SEL and not having that cost you an arm and a leg (and probably one your gonads)—particularly if you don’t want it to come out looking like something they took to Tijuana and painted with spray cans. (think about what you see when you open the doors and trunk and hood, etc.). You’re looking at BIG money to do that correctly. If you just want your 420 it to look better as a daily and you can handle issues like not getting paint properly into the window frames and rear window seal, and having a different paint color on the inside part of the car where paint is exposed, and you’re willing to see clear paint lines in all sorts of areas, then go for it. The devil is totally in the detail with painting nearly any car after it’s been manufactured.

What I’m trying to find is someone who knows what they’re doing and is willing to do good work for a reasonoble price—and with a reputation to back them. I want to do it once and do it correctly.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
505 Posts
To properly remove windows, trim, doors, etc. its typically between $8,000-$16,000 to look close to factory. Let's hope they don't get dust nibs or sanding debris in the paint, especially the color coat.

·
Registered
1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
424 Posts
For the guy looking at a $1k color change, can you drive across the border to Tijuana?

·
Registered
38 Posts
You consider a vinyl wrap? If no body work is needed, it's something worth looking into. The material they use have come a long way.

Socal
1984 MBZ W124
1989 BMW E24
1996 Nissan S14
2009 Audi R8
Honda Grom & Ruckus
LM7 4.8

1 - 11 of 11 Posts