61 - 80 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1250v
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
That sounds like a good plan.

If you take photos and note the procedure,
Then others can benefit from your experience.

Others like me....

I have a crate with Crawler and Working gears and a transfer case equipped with the fat gears waiting for Spring..
That will be a nice upgrade. Are you hoping to reuse your main transmission?

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,926 Posts
I’ve got a spare gearbox in boxes, if you need bits, PM me before you order bits.

C.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That truck looks vaguely familiar ,was it imported into the States from the UK?

I don't trust either the odometer or the hour clock on a Mog.Either can be purchased separately or altered to read whatever the client chooses them to.

If the mainshaft in that gearbox has any chipped teeth ,then really you are better off swapping the whole thing out.Depends on how long the metal bits were having a pool party in there.

·
Registered
1250v
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
As far as I know this was bought new by a town in New York. They ordered the righthand drive because the used it as a street sweeper as well as a plow truck.

That makes good sense about being concerned about if there is chipping on the gear teeth.

I will let you know what I find when it comes out

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
10,392 Posts
Yes, I’ll keep my transmission. It is a later variant than what is in your truck.

I found a low mileage transfer case with the working gears attached on EBay.de. It had 6K or 8K kilometers on it, and as it was optioned from the factory for the working gears, it has all three of the ‘fat’ gears for the Working / Crawler set up.

It is common when adding the Working / Crawler gears to a UNIMOG that did not come with them to add just the ‘third’ fat gear, since it does not require taking the case apart as it does to add all three of them. Plus, it is less expensive, as the gears are pricey.

I have not heard of the Working gears failing due to installing just the Third gear, but I started looking for the correct Transfer Case,
with the Working Gears attached to see if I could do it the factory way.
Once purchased, near Berlin, I had the assembly shipped to MEREX, where they added on the Crawlers, and went through the whole deal to make sure it was up to specs.
So, I’ll have a spare Transfer Case on the shelf when I am done, but I plan on keeping it for now.

·
Registered
1250v
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
That will be a great upgrade! I'm all for keeping parts! You will definitely need them at some point if you get rid of them.

Im trying to decide if its time to get a shipping container for unimog parts. The pile of spares already seems to be growing.

·
Registered
87 - 419 SEE,90 - 1300L
223 Posts
I am relatively up the road and would be interested if you get to that point where you are doing a shipping container.

·
Registered
1250v
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I will let you know, I have plenty of room to stash one. Im sure I wont be filling it anytime soon so if you needed some storage space that would be fine.

·
Registered
1250v
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Tomorrow I will remove the muffler, battery box, and fuel tank. It looks like it will make sense to replace all the hydraulic lines coming from the valve, and maybe a few of the steel ones as well.

Looks like the rear pto shaft is going to need to be removed as well.

·
Registered
1250v
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Should I put all these pictures in a different post? Most if this may end up being about fixing a transmission hopefully!

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,926 Posts
Hold on, how is the rear of that cab held on? Edit: oh, I see see the mount. Just some rear structure work needed.

You might be in the market for a cab Anyway?

C.

·
Registered
1250v
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
The rear cab mount is under there but also quite rusty. Von included a good used one. Another project.

I have a cab lined up for a transplant at some point down the road.

What your looking at in the picture is a piece of 3" tube steel that I used in place of the back corner of the cab. There was no metal left back there so I fit that in, welded it to the floor supports under the cab and the welded the back skin of the cab to the tube steel.

The floor under both doors was gone as well, so that was replaced with angle iron that connects to the tube steel in the back.

Very terrible body work, but it holds the steps on and keeps me from falling through the floor.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Good news on the cab plan, good luck with the gearbox. I like the U1250V trucks.

Also, you might find that selling the LHD bits to our friends down under is worth your time.

C.

·
Registered
1250v
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Knowing there is another cab in its future I went for solid and fast instead of good looking!

·
Registered
1250v
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
When I switch cabs I may but the swap it back to left side.

What does the V stand for in the 1250V?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I think the combination of the wheelbase and the length of the rear frame overhang, but ???

C.

61 - 80 of 133 Posts