Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 240D 11K miles, 83 300CD, 95 E320 Cabriolet
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am working with a dealer , purchasing a 95 E320 Cabriolet. When inspecting the engine bay, how can I know if the wiring harness has been changed? I can tell the head gasket has been repalced but am confused on the wiring. The current wiring has insualtion...i.e. looks like rough electrical tape on it. Any words of advice would be most welcome. Thank you in advance. OBTW..I want this lovely car with 41K on it and will probably pay too much, but I am trying to use any negotiation items I can...again thanks

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,508 Posts
if you have no valid reciept for recent replacement, ask them to warranty replacing it if it hasnt.

as for how to identify one, i wouldnt know.

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
turn the car on dirve it for about 10 minutes put the car into every possible gear and idle it for a bit, then notice if the car shake's at all. If not shaking or vibrating.

then open the hood, check for corrsion in the harness check if the harness is cracking at certain spots.

plus if the car has only 41 K i'm assumign it was stored or something there fore you should not be worried.

·
Registered
452 Posts
This is a dumb question, but where in the engine bay is the wiring harness located? My car does the ocassional shake while at a stop in drive, usually after driving it for a while... I would cry if my wiring harness is bad, cuz I just dropped $4,000 getting my head gasket and a TON of other stuff fixed in my car, which is only worth around $5k... [:(!]

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
This might be a dumb suggestion, but check your motor mounts! Sometimes, they collapse and break down!

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
For the harness, look behind the battery there is a black plastic cover that pulls off and the harness is plugged in at the fire wall. you would have to carefully cut the black wrapping to inspect the wiring. As long as youre in there, check your OVP fuse which is a hot topic on the boards. It is a clear plastic flip up cover w/ a small red fuse. check it to see if its blown.

·
Registered
82 240D 11K miles, 83 300CD, 95 E320 Cabriolet
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gentlemen...thank you for all the info I am going to the dealer today! TCB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts