Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1121 - 1138 of 1138 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whats up guys, I'm new to the forum, just bought a 94 Wagon with 209XXX miles, previous owners took very good care of it. I don't know much about these cars and hoping i would learn a lot about them thru this forum. This is my daily driven car, I'm currently building a VIP style 98 Infiniti Q45 but i'm starting to love my daily even more lol anyways, here's my new baby.

Attachments

·
W124 Moderator
12,601 Posts
New to me 300TE-24 with the correct transmission from the factory .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice example..congratulations! Looks like it has the Sportline suspension option as well..extra icing on the cake..

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Did everyone see these two on BaT?

"1993" facelift E320 wagon, AMG Japan modified with stock M104 engine and Gen2 bodykit - sold for $40k:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-mercedes-benz-e320t-amg/

1993 300TE, AMG Japan modified with 3.2L M103 engine and Gen1 bodykit, current bid $30k with 5 days left:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-mercedes-benz-300te-2/

The first car is called 1993 because Euro/Japan cars do not have model years like USA vehicles, they use manufacture date. Facelift 124 production began around July 1993 so early facelift cars are 1994 USA model years, but called "1993" in ROW - very confusing, especially since these two cars both are listed as 1993 wagons but have completely different powertrains and body kits.

:eek

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
Still just a I6....you're starting into 500E500 money with those wagons. Nice to have the AMG badges, but.........

Jono has a m119 wagon....more interesting and it's for sale for the right price.

Kevin

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Well, I have the pre-cursor to the M119 powered estates.... An M117 DOHC equipped *cou-hammer-gh* wagon. And yes, everything is for sale for the right price but that price has recently experienced a pretty sizeable Bump given recent sales both here and abroad...;-)

Jono

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone figured out some good springs to use on a diesel wagon for a ride height similar to a 1994 e420? The e420 seems to be about right. The earlier cars seem too tall, and my wagon is an 87. Would prefer to not cut the springs, but would like the later model ride height. Maybe same springs as a 6cyl gas wagon? Block should also be cast iron, like the 606 in my car, so weight would be comparable.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
mercedes matched the springs and pads to the engine and option packages on the cars. going to a thinner or even perhaps no spring pad would lower your car some. the diesel engine is /way/ heavier than the gas engines, even the v8, so it needs significantly stiffer front springs.

a wagon's rear suspension is self leveling, uses a hydro-pneumatic system, with weak springs, and 'shocks' that are also hydraulic springs, dampened by inboard nitrogen spheres. you can make minor changes in ride height via leveling valve but the system is carefully tuned for an optimal ride under both unloaded and fully loaded conditions, and works so well, I'd hate to mess with it.

I don't know if there was a sportmatic package for the earlier diesel wagons, but that would require finding a lot of unobtanium stuff, as it wasn't just springs and shocks, it was a comprehensive everything package. in particular rear leveler/shocks for a SLS sportmatic are likely totally unobtanium. ditto the right springs and shocks for a front sportmatic setup on a diesel are likely really hard to find.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
MB reduced ride height on all the 124 chassis as of 1988, IIRC. The early cars were pretty tall. Anyway, you can either switch to springs from a later wagon, or get the Sportline springs (the full Sportline package was offered on wagons in Europe). And as LCG mentione above, you can fiddle with thinner pads if your car currently is set up with thick pads. The spring pads are for fine adjustment, so you'll likely need to either cut the existing springs or replace them with something different. Cutting stock springs isn't blasphemy, but only cut 1/4 coil at a time. You will also need to adjust the SLS valve turnbuckle to let the rear end drop after shorter springs are installed.

A good start would be trying to figure out what springs are in your car now; the part number is stamped near the end of the bottom coil, and the color stripe (red or blue) indicates if it's the short or long version respectively, of each p/n. You may need to remove the spring to read the number, or measure the spring when removed and compare against the data in the PDF linked below. The EPC shows which springs + pads are specified for your car's optional equipment, however the EPC specs don't always match the setup as the car left the factory. The full Sportline kit would be awesome (springs, struts, rear SLS shocks, sway bars, etc) but that will not be cheap.

These two docs may help a little:

There are some photos here which may also help; check out the color stripes, and ride height measuring. I don't recommend going below ~14.0 inches from fender lip to wheel center for daily driver use. Stock 400E/E420 is around 14.5" front, the rear is 14.50-15.0" (varies between full tank & empty tank of fuel).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks.

I already have the sportline sls struts sitting around and just ordered a full set of springs to match. Thanks for the numbers. I used your spreadsheet to order the springs and pads. I guess all those sportline cars were 6cyl, which should have a cast iron block and be in the ballpark with the 606.

I doubt any of that sportline swaybar stuff is still available. I have the feind stuff from Jono, so that will go in once I put the compound setup on. The intercooler piping was interfering with the front bar. The rear is really the main issue, though. I am pulling it all out today, so the rear bar will go in with the new struts and a totally rebuilt v8 subframe/diff/v8 halfshaft setup. Will have to take it a bit easy at first as it totally understeers now; new set of 888s or something in a wider flavor for the front will have to be done after the springs go in.

After that it's just the driveshaft. I don't think the v8 guibos will clear the transmission mount. So I will either get the later 6-bolt guibo (thicker) for the front, or the 2005 GTO aluminum/urethane thingy, paired a la surfrodder with a v8 rear unit to match the 500SL diff. Backup plan is a spicer yoke and seal for the trans output and a custom u-joint setup. I don't really want to go that route up front as I am not sure if the 722.3 will really give me the shift quality I want.

1121 - 1138 of 1138 Posts