Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2281 - 2300 of 2323 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Ms Bornite - 92 500E Japan build

I found this car for sale in Dubai back in Oct. 2016, and it took me several months of negotiation to be able to even make a deal. It's a Japan build with no date of build shown anywhere on the stickers, and needed to prove the month of manufacture to import it into the USA as 25 years old and be exempt from import regulations. I was finally successful dealing with a Mercedes division in the UK, who was able to give me a signed and sealed letter saying that this car was manufactured in Nov, 1991. US customs accepted this proof that it was 25 years old and allowed it to be imported without modifications.

With that proof in hand the rest of the deal went through fairly smoothly, I now have a clear NYS title for this car. The color is Bornit, with a black interior, and my recent improvements included replacing the Japanese radio with a nice looking Pioneer, and the best is the addition of the OZ Aero 3 piece wheels.

The color on the registration is brown, as that's what was on the documentation from Dubai. I had wondered why brown until I spent time with the car out doors. Depending on the lighting, the color appears to change from a light brown to a grayish purple. I had seen a few Bornit cars in pictures but and wasn't all that impressed until I saw this one in person. I really like the bornit color with the black interior.

Here are a few pictures of my new favorite Benz...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm trying LED's for the daytime drive lights / city parking lights / Euro headlight dimmers / what ever it is called / etc. :

and since they are not used for showing the way it does not matter what pattern it gives so for now it's okay to keep them.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
January Thaw

After all the sub-freezing temperatures we've had here in New York since xmas, last week-end brought a 50° - 60° thaw, and about 1.5" rain. The rain washed away all the salt off the roads, and I took the opportunity on a sunny Monday to take our Benz's for a ride to get them some much needed exercise. I drove the CE into work, then took both my SL and Ms Bornite for 50 mile rides before the day was out. The rest of the cars got driven as well for shorter trips. Here is Ms Bornite enjoying a little time out of storage. She really is such a sweet car to drive, really hated putting her back into storage... :crying 8 weeks till spring...:frown

Attachments

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Victim of stupid photo bucket. Seeing if I can upload my photos again. '94 E320, 3rd owner, 133,000 miles, 17 inch Carlsson 1/6. Car and wheels both from Ebay!

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi all,

This is the first time I've logged in benzword.org in almost 6 years!

These are the most recent, high quality pics of my W124 at a cars and coffee event in late March. Will get around to taking more pics, eventually

Attachments

·
W124 Moderator
12,605 Posts
Nice to have you back Devin and thanks for the pics..
Hi all,

This is the first time I've logged in benzword.org in almost 6 years!

These are the most recent, high quality pics of my W124 at a cars and coffee event in late March. Will get around to taking more pics, eventually
Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings, all!
Brand new member from Southeast Arizona and first time Benz owner saying "Hiya!".
For my mid-life crisis I bought the finest German engineering available (in 1986). Needs a little love here and there, but paid for and a whole lotta fun to toodle around in. The interior even matches the family Chihuahua.
I'm quite possibly one of the most inept mechanics in the western hemisphere, so I'm here to learn. I've got a lot of work to do!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Drove 3 dream cars today

I had some time today to shuffle some cars around, and get my Pearl Black 500E inspected. On Friday I had a new OEM windshield installed, which was the last thing needed to pass inspection, (large crack in the old one). It's all legal now, and when taking it for a drive this afternoon I put all the windows down, (perfect top-down day). Then I couldn't hear a call coming in, (bluetooth no hands), so put the windows back up to hear. The drivers side rear would not go back up. Drove down to my Indi, and he had a regulator in stock, and swapped it in. I was back on the road in 15 minutes.

So took a ride over to where Ms. Bornite is still in winter storage, drove it around for a bit and took pic's of both cars together. The Pearl Black 500E looks sad next to Ms. Bornite, but a new paint job is being scheduled for this summer. So after new paint and interior work, then some good wheels, it will look great as well. I've collected several nice sets of wheels over the years, the first good set went on Ms. Bornite, a square set 3 piece OZ Aero I. I have another set of OZ 3 piece Aero I's staggered that are going out for repaint soon. Also just repainted is a set of 2 piece 18" SL600 5 spokes, and a repainted set of 18" Mono-block II's, and last is a fresh set of OZ 2 piece Opera II's.

Oh, almost forgot, I have a complete set "new in boxes" euro 500E headlights a bought 2 years ago, just waiting for the Pearl Black 500E to get restored..

So I drove my SL500 to and from all the activity, and got to drive both 500E's, a great day... Was laughing to myself, I could remove the 500E emblem from the Pearl Black 500, and have my own sleeper "Rat-Rod"... it doesn't look like much, but damn does it fly. Victor in the Bronx restored a the mechanics last year and it does runs like a clock, very fast... Just need to drive it more and get the rest of the kinks out.

The Pearl Black 500E was a rescue car, some old rancher had it sitting in the sun in Texas for a lot of years, and was abused badly, mostly from just sitting.

Here are some pic's from today...

Attachments

·
W124 Moderator
12,605 Posts
Quartermaine

Welcome on board the forum. It's great to have you and the newly acquired 224 with us. This forum is deep in experience and from time to time, experience..

Spend some time reading through our DIY sticky. I know of no better place to start getting yourself familiar with the car, and typical problems many owners encounter. If your car has the owners manual, read it. If not, get one eBay or such and get one.

Again, welcome

Jayare
Greetings, all!
Brand new member from Southeast Arizona and first time Benz owner saying "Hiya!".
For my mid-life crisis I bought the finest German engineering available (in 1986). Needs a little love here and there, but paid for and a whole lotta fun to toodle around in. The interior even matches the family Chihuahua.
I'm quite possibly one of the most inept mechanics in the western hemisphere, so I'm here to learn. I've got a lot of work to do!
Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2281 - 2300 of 2323 Posts