Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003.5 600CL; 94 e320; 1985 500 SEC; 1985 300D Turbo. Many others over the years ...
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tranny on my 94 e320 is KAPUT !! This is a project car for me. Still a frequent (not daily) driver, but I'm trying to tune it a bit and hit the track a few times a year (... and have fun in the gazillion twisties when it's too cold for 2 wheels). So what's the best bet for a replacement (or rebuild) that will yield some performance increases w/o going crazy on the $$? I've seen much debate about the "1st Gear Start" solenoid, but I think that can be an add-on no matter what transmission I get. Not sure if I should be looking for something used off a junked higher performance model (note: PGA is right down the road from my house, so there's plenty to choose from), but I don't want to put something in that will require extensive mods elsewhere. So putting in a 5 speed and hanging the clutch linkage is OUT (.... although it sure sounds nice, doesn't it?):thumbsup:

That having been said, I plan on changing the rear to one with a higher gear ratio. I know it will cause higher RPM on the highway, but I don't plan on driving it across the country. I know that rebuilding is more expensive, but if that's the only way to make a difference, then I'll consider it. OTOH, maybe I should stay with a stock setup and invest the money elsewhere. Thoughts?

Peace,

c

Note: Even though I'm a newbie, I know this had been raised and bickered over more than just a little bit. I'm having a hard time stitching together all the threads and coming up with anything resembling consensus. Everyone has different priorities. As for mine I got the car for free in OK condition, so if my total outlay is $10-12K, well, who cares? You can't get a KIA for that! I think I'm about 4K into it so far.

·
Registered
Fuck you
116 Posts
The tranny on my 94 e320 is KAPUT !! This is a project car for me. Still a frequent (not daily) driver, but I'm trying to tune it a bit and hit the track a few times a year (... and have fun in the gazillion twisties when it's too cold for 2 wheels). So what's the best bet for a replacement (or rebuild) that will yield some performance increases w/o going crazy on the $$? I've seen much debate about the "1st Gear Start" solenoid, but I think that can be an add-on no matter what transmission I get. Not sure if I should be looking for something used off a junked higher performance model (note: PGA is right down the road from my house, so there's plenty to choose from), but I don't want to put something in that will require extensive mods elsewhere. So putting in a 5 speed and hanging the clutch linkage is OUT (.... although it sure sounds nice, doesn't it?):thumbsup:

That having been said, I plan on changing the rear to one with a higher gear ratio. I know it will cause higher RPM on the highway, but I don't plan on driving it across the country. I know that rebuilding is more expensive, but if that's the only way to make a difference, then I'll consider it. OTOH, maybe I should stay with a stock setup and invest the money elsewhere. Thoughts?

Peace,

c

Note: Even though I'm a newbie, I know this had been raised and bickered over more than just a little bit. I'm having a hard time stitching together all the threads and coming up with anything resembling consensus. Everyone has different priorities. As for mine I got the car for free in OK condition, so if my total outlay is $10-12K, well, who cares? You can't get a KIA for that! I think I'm about 4K into it so far.
Since its a project car start collecting the parts for a manual conversion! Tracking an auto - especially ours - isnt so fun. (I'm a few hours from the Nordschleife and ran my 300 E-24 there once.)

·
Registered
1993 300E, 2003 996 Turbo X50
624 Posts
You can buy a Kia for 10k, but why the hell would you want to?

As far as the transmission goes i'd stick with the 722.3xx (assuming thats whats in there now) and just go with the first gear start. My car starts in first and my roommates 300e starts in 2nd and its a HUGE difference in acceleration from a stop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since its a project car start collecting the parts for a manual conversion!
So where is a good place to hunt for the parts necessary to convert (in my case a beautiful 86 300E to 5-speed.

I know one can use many of the clutch parts from a 190E as well as the 300E.

Wondering where to look and what other cars manual transmissions (and other associated parts) will bolt up to the venerable inline 3L engine?

Thanks in advance for any guidance offered.

Rgds,
Chris

·
Registered
2005 E320 4MATIC, 1994 E320, 2000 Ducati M750
135 Posts
I have looked into the conversion a bit, and you should look at SOME 190E models for what you need. Trans itself shouldn't be too hard to find, flywheel your options are limited and rare, however you can buy direct through dealer but its $$$. Driveshaft has to be either shortened or lengthed, which can be done by a good shop for prob ~$150 or so, making sure they balance it, and they you have pedal assemblies, etc. I would love to do the conversion, but I am just going to rebuild the autobox in mine

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
So where is a good place to hunt for the parts necessary to convert (in my case a beautiful 86 300E to 5-speed.

I know one can use many of the clutch parts from a 190E as well as the 300E.

Wondering where to look and what other cars manual transmissions (and other associated parts) will bolt up to the venerable inline 3L engine?

Thanks in advance for any guidance offered.

Rgds,
Chris
I wrote a 5 speed swap DIY thing of sorts. Still have to fine tune some pieces of it, but as a general idea of what you're going to have to do it should suffice.

the 5th post down has the pdf DIY. :)
View topic - Allen's flatline 300CE build | THE Mercedes-Benz & AMG Forum for and by the Enthusiasts | MyMBonline.com

if you have any more questions feel free to ask. i've researched and put into practice just about everything and can answer most, if not all, of your 5 speed swap questions. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks a tonne 'bsmuwk'. I'll review your DIY and follow up with you when necessary.

Also it appears as if we're in the same town {Chicago}.

I'm out in the NW Burbs near Barrington Road and I90, care to get together sometime and admire one another's handiwork, LMK!

Chris

·
Registered
600 Posts
For the auto transmissio owners:

You can get your car to start in 1st if you are stopped and downshift the selector all the way to the bottom gear then put it back to drive before you take off. I do this on a daily basis to get good starts at lights or stop signs.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,745 Posts
For the auto transmissio owners:

You can get your car to start in 1st if you are stopped and downshift the selector all the way to the bottom gear then put it back to drive before you take off. I do this on a daily basis to get good starts at lights or stop signs.
You can also leave the selector in 2nd on start up and the car will take off in 1st gear. A quick 2, 3, 2 shift will grab 2nd and hold it, then shift to 3rd, then to 4th. You can, if you care to, mash your gas foot to the floor and the car will start in 1st.

Jayare

1 - 9 of 9 Posts