Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 180 Posts

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Which is why I think it's important to call out this rarely discussed topic. I almost never hear online "tuners" talk of suspension mods other than lowered springs and big wide rims/tires--ok, maybe sporty struts. The multi-link rear suspension on the 201/124 can lead to downright dangerous handling if it's not kept in top-notch condition--especially with wider rims. Stock brakes are "adequate" for a factory tuned engine, but go much beyond that and it's asking a lot of those tiny units.

·
Registered
36 Posts
SC 500E

One of the shop owners (maybe a manager?) of Texas German Autohaus (I only knew him as "Hans") in Houston, Tx has a supercharged w124 500e that he uses as a daily driver.

I don't have the specifics on the car, and don't live in Houston anymore, but if anyone is in that area and wants to go get the specifics, I think a lot of people would like to know. I remember he mentioned that he did a lot of beefing up of the transmission, and had a toggle switch on the dash that turned off his traction control (and I believe his ABS as well).

The car looked like a brand new factory 500E on the outside. Absolutely stunning.

·
Registered
29,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Which is why I think it's important to call out this rarely discussed topic. I almost never hear online "tuners" talk of suspension mods other than lowered springs and big wide rims/tires--ok, maybe sporty struts. The multi-link rear suspension on the 201/124 can lead to downright dangerous handling if it's not kept in top-notch condition--especially with wider rims. Stock brakes are "adequate" for a factory tuned engine, but go much beyond that and it's asking a lot of those tiny units.
I woulnd't go with rarely discussed. We have a hundred threads on suspension and brakes which is very good.

I agree that all around performance is the goal. I really intended that at the instigation of this sticky. Somehow it must have got dropped down a notch as there were four or five powertrain projects going on at that time on the board.

I will revamp the opening soon. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm working on putting together a big brake upgrade for my E420. I have S600 Brembo calipers and ML430 rotors. I'll ask Jono to put the pictures on this thread during the whole process. Also he's going to build a couple 3.6L and 6.0L as well!

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I'm working on putting together a big brake upgrade for my E420. I have S600 Brembo calipers and ML430 rotors. I'll ask Jono to put the pictures on this thread during the whole process. Also he's going to build a couple 3.6L and 6.0L as well!
Are those S600 or SL600 brakes? What size are the rotors? I have 334mm Brembo front and 300mm ATE rear SL600 brakes on my wagon. Pics would be great.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
how much better is stopping with those upgrades zeitgeist?

and btw the movie was great
It's quite an impressive improvement, though I don't have any actual performance figures upon which to base that assessment. Also, I have a 500E master cylinder, which seems to help keep the pedal feeling firm and positive.

Haven't seen the movie, yet. My handle is much older than the film, and based upon an interest in vintage German mechanical clocks.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The calipers come from a W220 S600. I don't know the size of the calipers that fit yet. I know that ML 430 '99-00 is a different size than ML 430 '01. I'm still working on completing this package!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Why hasn't anyone mentioned N2O? It's cheap, and it done correctly, fast and reliable. Has anyone tried this on their Benz?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello, I have built a supercharged m104. I am getting about 298 rwhp. So 365+ flywheel. My system is a whipple twin screw blower with a spearco air/water intercooler. I have done all the work and am currently redesigning it to be a cleaner install. I will have the blower on the intake side under the intake with an air/water intercooler built in the intake, electric water pump and then I will have the room to do an exhaust header and full exhaust. I am planning on dropping compression with either new pistons or a copper headgasket and going for a lot more power. Not sure if I will stick with supercharger or switch to a turbo.
I am using Electromotive tec3r for fuel management.
I also have done a 722.6 swap with standalone TCM from PCS. I am using the small nag trans which has much better gearing for off the line acceleration.
I still need a locking diff in the rear and some drag radials. I tried some 275 series tires and still can not launch at all.
My horsepower is from the dyno but I have not been to the strip since I was in Colorado and there with no traction I ran a 15.1 best time on a 90 degree day. Just for reference I think I could run in the high 13's now if I could get a decent launch at sea level.
If anyone is interested I have been looking at several other designs that would not be as extreme. I could make complete kits or sell just an intercooled intake for someone making their own kit.
Fuel management would have to be done by you unless I had the car. I could help with this.
Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Hello, I have built a supercharged m104. I am getting about 298 rwhp. So 365+ flywheel. My system is a whipple twin screw blower with a spearco air/water intercooler. I have done all the work and am currently redesigning it to be a cleaner install. I will have the blower on the intake side under the intake with an air/water intercooler built in the intake, electric water pump and then I will have the room to do an exhaust header and full exhaust. I am planning on dropping compression with either new pistons or a copper headgasket and going for a lot more power. Not sure if I will stick with supercharger or switch to a turbo.
I also have done a 722.6 swap with standalone TCM from PCS. I am using the small nag trans which has much better gearing for off the line acceleration.
I still need a locking diff in the rear and some drag radials. I tried some 275 series tires and still can not launch at all.
My horsepower is from the dyno but I have not been to the strip since I was in Colorado and there with no traction I ran a 15.1 best time on a 90 degree day. Just for reference I think I could run in the high 13's now if I could get a decent launch at sea level.
If anyone is interested I have been looking at several other designs that would not be as extreme. I could make complete kits or sell just an intercooled intake for someone making their own kit.
Fuel management would have to be done by you unless I had the car. I could help with this.
Thanks for looking.
What I find interesting is that my twin turbo M103-12V indicated 210HP on a Mustang load dyno.
Yet at sea level in 40F ambient with no traction on Falken FK-452 rubber, I ran a 14.39 / 99mph.
I should see mid to high 13's @ 101+ with traction.
The TT is set a fixed .48 bar and uses the stock KE-Jetronic II with two additional injectors controlled by a Split Second stand alone controller.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know what you are saying. When I ran in Denver i was still on cis-e on the original motor m104. About the same boost though. It is also amazing how slow cars are at altitude. I actually out ran a 440 magnum at the track and other than the launch, which I lost about a car length ran right down the track with a 2003-4? Mach1.
My buddy had a supercharged mustang with 3.73 and a tremec. Could not get into the 13's.
Main thing with mine is with the blower it is hard to get the car to launch because all the torque right out of the hole.
You would easily loose a second in Denver though. My trap speed was something like 94 mph maybe 97, too long ago.
Anyway my car is much faster than it used to be and I hope to get to the track next year with a lock up diff.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Thanks for looking.
Why the expense in time and cost to go to a 722.6.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the first gear ratio ( 3.59:1 ) of the 722.6 higher then the ratio ( 3.68:1) of the stock 722.3 ?
Is the 722.3 less problematic then the 722.6 ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I already had the transmission. I was a dealer tech for long time. My total cost is around a 1000 bucks. The gears in the small nag are much better, 3.932 1st and 2.408 2nd. Also wanted the overdrive and lock up torque converter.
As far as problems with the trans it is hard to say. I have worked at the dealer until recently for 10 years. Pretty much the entire production range of the 722.6. Other than a leak at the electrical connector the trans itself is pretty good. Also it should work pretty well for me as my shifts will be firmer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
New dyno results at 310 rwhp 357lb/ft of torque. Main change from last dyno is the 722.6. lock up torque converter is good for about 10 wheel hp. Camshaft adv. on is good for almost 50 wheel horsepower.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Why hasn't anyone mentioned N2O? It's cheap, and it done correctly, fast and reliable. Has anyone tried this on their Benz?
I'm working on something for this setup. It's going to cost over $2500-3000.00.
Nitrous Oxide Supply Co. in Huntington Beach, CA. I already had my W124 rebuilt with forged pistons, but now I'm working on the cooling system have to modifiy a bigger radiatior with more cu. in., then possibly finding a bigger or modding a water pump. Braiding the hoses as well as replacing. redesigning or blowing out the whole exhaust system. Changing the rear end and driveshaft. I have some details in a PDF file somewhere in an email from the techs over there. It would be a substantial gain in HP, but remember, it's just a BOOST, it is not a continuos flow of HP.

I would use NOS more for drag or straigh-away, I wouldn't suggest it on a track.

Unlike Turbo or Super charging, the HP is based on the output of the car. It's not something you can randomly deliver like NOS.

Other than that, NOS will run hot, so that's the reason for all the cooling upgrades.

I added the PDF Mike Flynn emailed to me, regarding the dry shot system for EFI's.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bumpin' this tread-hope that's ok

The problem you are having with torque is due to the size of pipe used. If you decrease the overall diameter a bit and use the single Magnaflow Cat and muffler you will get the same HP increase but will get your low end torque back. What you are doing is reducing your backpressure too much which eliminates a bit of the draw from the engine. I would bet that your topend [up around 130ish] graphs better as that setup that you have would work better for a topend application rather than a low end torque app.
Hey mcbear---doing this now and saw your post..looking at the magnaflow 2 1/4" cat and muffler with some nice magnaflow tips...(guess that means no timevalve y pipe??)
--also fgs switch and asr defeat, k&n,

what about the '92 LH module? been scouring posts for info...these all look like good upgrades...

thanks for any more info...she should be here Sunday and want to hit the ground running...can't get that exhaust on fast enough! Frank

·
Registered
219 Posts
Since we are talking about performance, i dont understand the need to mod the m103 engine if you dont have a lot of money. I know RBYCC and Pumpish put turbos in there car and had great results. But yesterday some of my friends and i went to a drag strip and I beat a 93 civic si hatchback with cold air intake and some new headers, a chevy Camaro RS (I know the V6 version so nothing special), and a Honda Civic coupe with a turbo running 7 boost. So I would think that the best thing to do that isnt a lot of money is the suspension. Replacing Shocks and Struts, sway bars and control arms will make you handle like a champ.
Anyone else have experience with some other cars.

81 - 100 of 180 Posts