Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dislike used car dealers and doubt I'll ever buy a car from one...

But probably there are a few success stories, and I am curious.

Did you buy your car from a dealer and were pleased with the purchase? Loads of posters here, must be some positive stories...

·
Registered
1996, A124, E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
1,555 Posts
I bought one of mine from an MB Dealer; and the other the Dealer put me onto for a private sale. Worked out well enough, little bit pissed they never did the alignment at the time but there you go. Forman Mechanic gave the head Sales guy a tune up, and I got a bunch of parts replaced as part of the deal - expansion tank, engine mounts, idler arm, tie rod end, and some other little bits and pieces. Still use that same Mechanic today as it happens...........

·
Registered
1995 E320 sedan, 1991 Porsche 964, 2004 Porsche 986
450 Posts
I purchased mine from a dealer, but have had a relationship with them for years prior. All in all it was a good experience. My brother bought a Z3 about a week or so before, and my dad a 911 a few months later.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,541 Posts
I bought one of mine from a used car dealer. It wasn't selling and I got it for almost half the original asking price. The first time I inquired about his price he was adamant that the advertised price was it. I called him a month later and he had softened his resolve.
I called a month later again, and this time he was willing to do business.

I did my research and carefully inspected the wiring harness and every single system for operatability. Only the signals weren't working and he those fixed before I put money on the table.

The difference in power from the 2.6 liter M103 to the 3.2 liter M104 was intoxicating for a minute.

I now want a wagon, but am waiting for the hammer of medical bills to descend before I make a spurious purchase. So of course i am reading everything I can about the suspension and the spheres in particular.

·
Registered
1987 300E, 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, 2005 Silverado 4x4
963 Posts
I was in Fayetteville NC last weekend and spotted a clean looking pre-facelift 300CE (coupe) sitting in a small indy used car lot. it took every bit of personal resolve to stay away from that lot because I know that unless the car ended up being a total POS, I probably would have bought it and paid too much for it. I dont know what they wanted for it, sometimes it's better not to know!

·
Registered
1998 E320, silver: "Grace" (because a friend already claimed "Mercy")
215 Posts
I've not purchased a Benz from a dealer but have tried. These days in Columbus many dealerships are hanging onto older cars instead of sending them to an auction. But I found my 95 private faster than Crown had one come in.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like Neanderthal hit the sweetspot, while some feel good about their purchases...interesting, thanks for feedback!

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
917 Posts
I dislike used car dealers and doubt I'll ever buy a car from one...

But probably there are a few success stories, and I am curious.

Did you buy your car from a dealer and were pleased with the purchase? Loads of posters here, must be some positive stories...
I've bought 2 from dealers:

Tooting, London, UK: W107 500SL with 10K miles. It was perfect. Never any trouble over the 3 years I had it. It was happy at 140 mph on motorways with handling always very taught. It was black with red leather interior.

Périgueux, France: 300CE-24 with 90K miles. About 1000€ work done under warranty in year 1, followed by head gasket that I paid about 1000€ for. Aside from that, it's been a good car and now has about 250K miles on the clock. It's well used but still goes well. It's an original Sportline but with Bilstein B12 spring/damper kit. A bit low for the local roads but corners well. Overall, as success.

RayH

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Yes, I do. But I didn't purchase it from where I work. I bought it from a place over 350 miles away from a man I'd never met before in my life. It was a nervous plane ride down there waiting at the airport to get picked up.

I actually contacted about 4 dealerships online and only 1 responded. Since I've sold cars for 9 years I know every "trick" in the book so I was extra wary.

I'm firmly convinced that if you know exactly what to look for in an ad and by studying the photos and emailing/talking with the seller you can figure out how honest they are before you ever meet them.

There are some bad dealerships out there but most are not, in my experience!

But...but, you work at a dealership...LOL. How impartial can that make you.....:D

Kevin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts