Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody,

I'm intrested in buying a 200D (although I don't know if they're shipped to the US) and I was wondering if ANYONE has ANY idea how this car drives.
Everywhere I find info over this type, they always say it's unbelievebly slow...
I know I must'nt expect much from a 60 BHP diesel in such a 'heavy' car, but I just want to know if it really such a nightmare to drive around in.
Do you really need to put the pedal to the metal?
I'd like to buy a 240D or TD, but the problem is that here in Belgium there is a TAX-system that depend on if your cars a diesel or a petrol, and wich displacement it has, but, if a car is 25 years old, it becomes an oldtimer and the tax falls almost completly away. And so the 240D is VERY hard to find with that age.

ow jes, if anyone knows what the fuel consumption is like in those cars, plz let me know...

p.s. if the car isn't an oldtimer yet, I pay about $500/jear for the 200D and about (!)$800(!) for a 240D. Maybe you would think, ow that's not THAT bad..., but I must mention that I'm still a student and I will be that till about 2007 so I DON'T have any money to earn except for some jobs in my vacantions...

Well, I hope someone can answer some of my questions.

greetings,

Matteus

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
Hello,
Back in the late '80s I owned a very unreliable MGBGT, luckily at the time I wor...

Hello,
Back in the late '80s I owned a very unreliable MGBGT, luckily at the time I worked for a guy who often lent me his wife’s early 200D so I could get to work whilst my MG was off the road.
Admittedly the car was slow off the start but it was an auto and may have been the pre-79 55bhp model. Once moving it didn't seen too bad, over taking took some forward planning but otherwise it was a nice leisurely ride.

Some specs;
0M615 4-cyl diesel
55bhp @ 4200rpm (60bhp @ 4200rpm from Feb 79)
80lb/ft torque @ 2400rpm

Not sure about mpg, but the W115 200D (same engine, similar weight etc.) is listed as 28-41 by Autocar 1975.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks heckflosse,

I really thought it would be a nightmare to drive just because of ...

thanks heckflosse,

I really thought it would be a nightmare to drive just because of the performance. But I have another question: isn't it unbelievebly anoying if you go on the highway with it, since it only has a top speed of 84 mph. I know in america the speed limits are very strickt and that they go to 60mph, but here in Belgium we are used to drive quite fast, on the highway sometimes go to a 100mph, and I imagined when you drive an 84 mph top speed car, you have to drive on the truck lane, and that doesn't seem so pleasant to me. I'm wondering about this because I'm going to do 80% highway and only 20% city.

Although I'm very (positive) surprised of the answers on my previous questions, I'm not so sure if youre answer is going to be so positive now.[?][|)][:I]

well, I thank you now,
cya,

matteus...

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
Yes motorway driving was in the slow lane usually. I remember how I hated joining the b...

Yes motorway driving was in the slow lane usually. I remember how I hated joining the by-pass near me, because the slip road went up hill quite steeply and I could only reach just over 35mph which was scary when every one else was doing about 70!

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hm, damn, think I better find a 240D or a 300D, also I was searching for some 230's, and...

hm, damn, think I better find a 240D or a 300D, also I was searching for some 230's, and I think this may be interesting aswell,

can anyone tell me if the 230 carburettor engines are somewhat reliable??? I always here those carbs suck, but then I think: Hows that possible, they're put on a Merc?!?!

matteus

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
I would recomend a 300D, preferably a Turbo. They have a top speed of about 100mph. I don...

I would recomend a 300D, preferably a Turbo. They have a top speed of about 100mph. I don't even think a 200D would be able to get up to 84 mph. I have only just barely gotten my 240D up to 85mph and I have I think about 10-12hp more. Unfortnuately only the 250 or the 280 (maybe 230, not sure) has a top speed above 100-110mph. If you do mostly highway you may want to consider a non-diesel. Good luck!

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
Re: hm, damn, think I better find a 240D or a 300D, also I was searching for some 230's, and

can anyone tell me if the 230 carburettor engines are somewhat reliable??? I always here those carbs suck, but then I think: Hows that possible, they're put on a Merc?!?!
I've had two carburettor 200s and each one I owned for around 7 years without a single problem with the carb. If going for the 230 though I would try to get an injected one simply because it will perform better and return better fuel consumption.

Have you considered a 190D?

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys,

yes, I have considered a 190D, because its very very cheap and has very...

Thanks guys,

yes, I have considered a 190D, because its very very cheap and has very acceptable performance and fuel consumption.
But, on the other hand, don't want to miss the 'classyness' of the W123. It's SO UNBELIEVEBLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

think I'll stay with the W123.
hm, a 230E has better fuel consomption than a 230 ey??

thanx again,

greetzz, matteus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.