Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
-87 280GE LWB
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Have to change cams and lifters og my 280GE. Does anybody know if it is necessary to take off register chain or could the camwheels just be left there connected with plastic strips to the chain. This would ease reinstallation and prevent wrong timing of the cams.
Trond

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Replacing cams

It might be possible to do it the way you speak of. But if I were doing it, I would just let it go and set the timing upon reassembly.

The way you state works well if you're just changing a head gasket and can lock the cams in place before disassembly as well. But when you have to have the cams out, you can't leave tehm locked in, and it's tough to get them lined back up to the sprockets on reassembly.

I'd follow the workshop manual procedures. I don't seem to have much luck shortcutting MB workshop manual procedures on the G.

Just my opinion.

Not to mention the fact that if you're going to the trouble of new cams and "lifters", I'd sure be putting in a new $50 timing chain at the same time.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
-87 280GE LWB
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: ---Camshaft replacement

Thanks for the advice Dave, good idea to replace the register chain as well. Is there any update on your 300 TD engine installation?
Trond

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Swap status

One of these days I'll stop thinking of extra bits for 4x4rancher to hunt down for me in the UK and just let him ship the damned transmission already![:)]

Engine's all done for nigh on a month now and on the stand patiently waiting for the rest of the (transmission related) stuff to complete the job. In the mean time, I'm rebuilding a spare transfer case to put in with the engine and trans. I'm only waiting for new I/O flange nuts, and a crush sleeve for the output shaft so I can get the t-box back together.

So in the mean time, I'm working on a jib crane for the back of my garage to make getting the roof tent or roof rack on or off a one-man job rather than the neighborhood barn-raising it works out to today. [:)] Should have that bit of kit complete this weekend and be ready to remove the roof tent in prep for getting the G into the garage for the engine work some time in the near-ish future.

Thanks for asking!

-Dave G.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts