Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
slk 200
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
told by my dealer not to get a manual he cant get rid of them and it brings the value down alot when selling. but there more fun to drive [;)]

·
Registered
350SLK AMG (2005)
47 Posts
having a manual or auto box will have no affect on residual value as its a drivers preference issue.

·
Registered
slk350
20 Posts
The value on the car depends on supply and demand. There are probably fewer manual lovers out there, but with even fewer cars the value will be just fine. My girlfriend and I both prefer stick over automatic. One of the reasons I ordered was to get the manual transmission. The reason she bought the Saab she did years ago was because it is manual.

that an a car is a poor investment no matter how you swing it. If After 5 years I get $1000 less on trade in, but I got to enjoy shifting the car every day, it is worth it. buy it cause you like it, not because the next guy is going to like it.

just my 2cents.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
hang_man - 4/1/2005 7:48 AM

having a manual or auto box will have no affect on residual value as its a drivers preference issue.
Yes it will at least in the States.

·
Registered
350SLK AMG (2005)
47 Posts
Snowball - 4/1/2005 2:37 PM

hang_man - 4/1/2005 7:48 AM

Yes it will at least in the States.
well i cant comment on the states. but I would imagine the basic principles are the same whatever country oh except thoes lazy ones where they prefer the car to drive for them while they eat king sized sniker bars and super size me Mc D's. [:D]

·
Registered
spåhonsåÿo
208 Posts
I was told by my local dealer that "everybody" wants an automatic car so that's to chose if not losing a lot of money later on. I dont't know if that's correct here in Sweden or not, but if I trade my SLK200K in for a SLK280 or 350, I'm gonna have the manual gear box. I'ts more fun driving. It's more active driving, a little bit faster 0-60mph, about $2700 less to pay extra on the new car. Also my cars automatic gear box does not shift up soon enough after overtaking. It can go 10-15 secs before shifting up. When climbing hills the gearbox can't decide which gear to chose. It shifts up and down. If you have a manual you decide what's best for each situation.
/Bengt

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
joyfulheart - 3/30/2005 1:42 PM

Whose car is it?
I thought about buying a car for my dealer, but didnt really like him enough.
I bought mine for me...not the stealer and certainly not for the next (possible) owner. You can't beat 'six on the floor (7 if you count reverse!!) Be in control - get a manual[8D][8D][8D]

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
I agree with Wooly here - buy the car for yourself not the person who is buying it off you, or the dealer who also wants you to spend another £1700 odd in the UK for the Auto option ( wonder what his margin on that is ? )

I was going to get the manual until I test drove the auto and fell in love with it. I will mainly be using the car for commuting so the auto suits me better - plus I get to drive an auto which I have not owned before, looking on it as part of the fun of the new car.

Maybe it is an age thing but I start to get fed up changing with a manual these days.

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
Personally I beleive about 5% of what 95% of car salespeople tell me. Don't be surprised if the reason he told you not to get a manual is simply because he has a lot of automatics available.

·
Registered
SLK 350
87 Posts
The UK Mercedes web-site has 40 auto SLK350s for sale and 4 MT. So that doesn't look like the MT is difficult to sell in UK. On the other hand, maybe most of the cars for sale are ex-demonstrators, that were over-specced by the dealers as autos in the first place.

My dealer suggested nearly everyone chose an automatic, but I still went for the MT.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Marty171 - 3/31/2005 9:43 PM

The UK Mercedes web-site has 40 auto SLK350s for sale and 4 MT. So that doesn't look like the MT is difficult to sell in UK. On the other hand, maybe most of the cars for sale are ex-demonstrators, that were over-specced by the dealers as autos in the first place.

My dealer suggested nearly everyone chose an automatic, but I still went for the MT.
Don't be a sheep!![:0][:0][:0]

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
How can you tell when the dealer is lying? Easy.... when his/her lips are moving. I wouldn't trust the dealer any more than the opposition's attorney or a "cold call" stockbroker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts