Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
None
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I am seriously considering a gas 126 and would like a little help and guidance in considering a few of the models.

Reliability and spirited performance are strong considerations. Modest annual maintanace bills. It has to be a LWB.

It will probably end up being a 300SEL - but I am not opposed to owning a V8 model, but probably not a 560 or a 500, although I'd love to own one.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Tory

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
All the V8s are the same from a reliability standpoint except for the single row chain 380s. Fuel mileage is about the same as well – if you want spirited performance the 5.6 L is the way to go or a European market 5.0 L. The M103s are quick enough for all traffic situations and accelerate well with help from the gear selector but provid no better fuel mileage. The six also does not have the valve train/chain issues as do the V8s – if the oil is not changed on a regular schedule for the V8s the cams and rockers can experience premature wear. Make sure you get a V8 that received proper maintenance. Except for front end leaking issues the M103s are solid and easy to work on. Otherwise the cars are identical to your 300 SD.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts