Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[?]I made the "Leap to Lexus" last spring in order to enjoy "The Ultimate Pursuit of Perfection" and purchased an SC 430. Beautiful workmanship, absolutely gorgeous interior and the worst service I have ever had in all the years of owning a car. I get more surveys than one would ever want, nice letters from the salesman and General Manager and service from Larry, Curly and Moe. I wont go into all of the details but the driver seat is literally crumbling under the weight of my 170 pound ass and the car has been exposed to horrible weather conditions (it has been in the rain 3 times and has acid rain spots). I am truly dissapointed and am going to get rid of the car after 1,850 miles.[V]

I own a number of other new and old collectible Mercedes and know that each model has its own set of problems. I also know that posting a question on this Forum is like asking the foxes to guard the hen house but here goes. How reliable have your SL's been and what are the problem areas. I have had more than my share of the electronic gremlins on the newer models (CL, S and CLK)that have ultimately been repaired and besides the inconvenience have not been a big issue.

I am looking at a run of the mill SL 500 fairly well equipped about $110,000 or an SL 55. Honest opinions and feedback please.

Lou K

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Lets see, a leaking trunk, spots on wheels, stress crack on windshield, holes in the headrest, center console replaced, glove box would not open, and dealer cause damage.

Things break and I would not have mind these minor break downs, but because the way one dealer handle the problem made my experience very unpleasant. The Memphis dealer has been very good in taking responsibility in fixing things. I wont comment on the other dealer.

My 2004 SL500 has 13,000 miles and drives great.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tiggerfink - 2/9/2005 10:50 PM

Lets see, a leaking trunk, spots on wheels, stress crack on windshield, holes in the headrest, center console replaced, glove box would not open, and dealer cause damage.

Things break and I would not have mind these minor break downs, but because the way one dealer handle the problem made my experience very unpleasant. The Memphis dealer has been very good in taking responsibility in fixing things. I wont comment on the other dealer.

[:0]What a confidence builder. The Cavalier is looking better all the time[:eek:)]

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
lkirchner - 2/9/2005 9:02 PM

[:0]What a confidence builder. The Cavalier is looking better all the time[:eek:)]
If you think that is a confidence builder you should hear my story. [:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
Lol, it's funny you should mention the Lexus SC 430. I was watching a review of it on TV the other day where they were going on about how really bad the car is. Anyway, I have the SL55 and have not had one problem to date. It has been one of the most reliable cars I have owned, and also the most enjoyable. [:)]

·
Registered
SL 500 2003 former; E350 2007 former, C320 2005 Actual.
202 Posts
cxt32 - 2/10/2005 4:55 AM

Lol, it's funny you should mention the Lexus SC 430. I was watching a review of it on TV the other day where they were going on about how really bad the car is. Anyway, I have the SL55 and have not had one problem to date. It has been one of the most reliable cars I have owned, and also the most enjoyable. [:)]
Dod ypu has the review of the sc430 or know where can I find info of it?

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
No, i don't have it, I just saw it on TV. But basically, the conclusion was definately stay well away from it!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: SL experience

LovinSL600 - 2/10/2005 12:06 AM

lkirchner - 2/9/2005 9:02 PM

If you think that is a confidence builder you should hear my story. [:D][:D][:D]
[
[:0]Please don't hold back.

Thnaks, Lou K

·
Registered
2005 RENNtech SL600
195 Posts
Well now, you want feed back? You need to look around and read some of my posts! Although my gripes seem to be confined mostly to the stereo. I am otherwise quite happy with everything else about the vehicle. I am also very happy with my dealer. I am absolutely disgusted with MB!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts