Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys!

I'm cleaning the mating surfaces of the heads to intake manifold on the 84 500sel (euro/AMG) and cleaned out the exhaust channel that runs along the bottom below the intake ports. There was a little carbon in there but not bad for the years/miles. As a side note, the EGR tube was just sooty and cleaned right up as opposed to what some of the poor souls here have experienced. Here's my question. I happened to have job 14-450 printed up (Removal and installation of intake manifold upper and lower part, renewing gaskets) and laying on the windshield and saw this note:

Engines without air injection: On engines with ET cylinder heads, which have 4 bores for the air injection to the exhaust valve (arrow), the latter have to be sealed with aluminum tapered plugs. This ensures that no exhaust gas reaches the intake side via the bores (poor idle)

I don't have air injection and see no provisions for it. The car is euro (germany delivery) and has been California CARB'ed, but still has no air pump. Does anyone know if this is something that was a revision of an earlier practice of leaving them open or was this an ommision by AMG? I don't know if the exhuast flow going along the lip of the head was intended to heat the area a bit more to aid vaporization or if the engineering part of my brain is overthinking this. I'm inclined to close the things but would like some feedback before I go in search of 7mm tapered aluminum plugs :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I plug off those ports when I go through engines/do heads @ this point.. They are Always clogged solid w/ carbon by 100K thus I figure what's the point.

I'd be surprised if your car still had the ports open to be honest.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I plug off those ports when I go through engines/do heads @ this point.. They are Always clogged solid w/ carbon by 100K thus I figure what's the point.

I'd be surprised if your car still had the ports open to be honest.

Jonathan
All four were open on each head! Your old suggestion of using paint remover was great for cleaning up the intakes, Thanks!

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Huh...interesting..! Well, I plugged up a set of the holes in one of my cars w/ JB weld..all seems to be well some 15K later. I had the part # for the dowels Somewhere... If you can't find them let me know.

Paint remover is about the only thing a DIY'er has available.. A hot tank is ideal but those are a bit more difficult to come by!

Jonathan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts