Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know where the Crankshaft position sensor locates in our car? (1999 SL500 to be specific). Is "Camshaft position sensor" the same as "crankshaft position sensor"? I've searched for "crank position sensor" and "crankshaft position sensor" but found non available. All the auto part websites I've searched came up with "camshaft position sensor" only. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
What are you up to sneaky guy.
Are we swapping out for a light-weight crankshaft?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Does anyone know where the Crankshaft position sensor locates in our car? (1999 SL500 to be specific). Is "Camshaft position sensor" the same as "crankshaft position sensor"? I've searched for "crank position sensor" and "crankshaft position sensor" but found non available. All the auto part websites I've searched came up with "camshaft position sensor" only. Thanks.
http://www.Peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=200527

i THOUGHT i needed a new one until we realized it was the harness :)

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you up to sneaky guy.
Are we swapping out for a light-weight crankshaft?
Nothing m8 LOL. I just want to fix this car and sell it and get a 2005 SL55. It's all your fault! I used to own two of these SL500 (95 and 99) and love them but your car make ours look stupid! hahaha.

Seriously, I've never owned a mercedes with more than 75K miles. It has 67K now. It's time to let go.

·
Registered
75 Posts
1999 M113 stalling due to Crankshaft Position Sensor - CPS

i have a 1999 SL500 that i love!, beautiful wonderful car that drives like a dream -whens its actually moving. without fail, every time i get stuck in traffic, or end up in a longer-than-normal drive thru line, without any warning, without any instrumentation lights coming on, without overheating, my SL stalls!. once it stalls, the car WILL NOT immediately start back up; i have to let the car sit for a good 10 minutes before the engine will turn over. other than this stalling issue, the car runs super -i can go out for a 200 mile, all day sunday drive, and as long as i don't let the car idel/sit with the engine running -the car will drive silky smooooth all daylong. any thoughts, any ideas, any opinions, anything i can check?...any suggestions to curing this stalling problem is greatly appreciated!. much thx!

·
Greek God of the R129
8,364 Posts
I think is your maf sensor, clean the sensor see if this helps.
Ck, the air filter box for broken mounts and leaks.
This contaminates and kills the sensor.
An other thing is the crank position sensor going south.

Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
It sounds like you need to replace the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). Dealers usually charge $1300 but you can DIY for less than $200. You need to have TOOLS to do this jobs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
thank you than you thank you!....i had a feeling it might have been something with the crank position sensor -and i know they're big money from the dealer to fix. i'll also def check/clean the mass air flow sensor -this is an easy enough. i appreciate everyone's input!, again, much thx!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
the car starts and runs fine.....the stalling only happens when the engine is at normal operating temp and i come to a stop/idle. doesn't matter if the car is idling in a parking lot or if I'm stuck in Friday rush hour Boston traffic, the car will randomly, without warning, stall. then, after about roughly 10 to 15 minutes, the car will start again.....but restarting is just a prelude till eventually the next 'stall'. the starter, at any point, without any problem, turns over the engine. if the engine keeps running, if i'm on the hwy, if i'm zooming around town, it'll never (or at least hasn't yet) stall

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would replace the crank position sensor. You can buy one online. If it's like the '96, you need the right "star" or hex bit and a longish extenion for a 1/4" ratchet. Takes about 15 minutes.

If that doesn't fix it, remove the fuel pump cover. When you are in a no-start situation, have someone crank the starter while you put your hand on the pump to see if it's running.

Good luck, this has got to be driving you crazy.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hello to all;

I am also having similar issues. I was trying to accelerate into traffic and my car started to exhibit loss of power and missing. The check engine light came on and I just restarted the car (1997 SL320) and it started to run fine. I got the codes pulled and I got the following: P0715, P0303, P0300, P0306 and P0460. I am new to the Boston area so I am looking for a good mechanic in the area so that I can avoid the stealership.

·
Greek God of the R129
8,364 Posts
The crankshaft sensor is in the list.
But also ck the others that I have mentioned.

I like to take my time on the top.
And when I eliminate all the possible problems.
Then work at the bottom.

Regards.
aam.

·
Banned
8,660 Posts
crankshaft position sensor
If the engine cranks way too long (intermintent starting problem, starter will crank, but engine will not start in HOT temp), idle is erratic, or car just stalls and takes 20-30 min to restart (seems to happen when car is HOT, will have to wait for it to cool down, then it will usually start) L5 - Crankshaft Position Sensor - CPS sensor fails when subject to temperature changes. This is known problem with the 112/113 engine at around 80K miles.

Takes about 15 minutes with a COLD engine to R&R of the Crankshaft Position Sensor. You will need a E8 Torx, with a 12" extension on a 1/4" ratchet. You will also need to put the engine hood/bonnet in the 90 degree maintenance position while using a bright light in the firewall area. Once you find the CPS you will (blindly) attach the E8 Torx w/ the 12" extension to the single CKP Torx screw. Then connect the 1/4" ratchet and remove the CPS.

MY 99-02 M113 engine cost $46.54 at AutohausAZ.com Bosch p/n 0261210170 MB p/n 0031532828
Crankshaft Position Sensor at rear of engine
Please note, this one per car sensor has a clip-on lock notch for the harness connection.
Please read CPS location and CPS is used for engine timing and
The CPS is located just above the bell housing on the rear of the engine and
Installation of a CPS sensor. With pictures! and
All MY 98 and newer V-6 V-8 (M112, M113 engines) No Start after driving for a while or dies out, crank no start but will restart if sits for a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
just to wrap up this thread!....the advice to change the Crankshaft Position Sensor solved my problem....NO MORE FOOLISH STALLLLLLLING!. if you had any symptoms like mine, then changing your CKP Sensor should solve your headaches. i bought my p/n 0261210170 from Discount Auto Parts Catalog - StopShopAndDrive for $50 (roughly) delivered. much thx to everyone that gave input.....i greatly appreciate it!!!!!! THIS SITE ROCKS!

·
Banned
8,660 Posts
just to wrap up this thread!....the advice to change the Crankshaft Position Sensor solved my problem....NO MORE FOOLISH STALLLLLLLING!. if you had any symptoms like mine, then changing your CPS should solve your headaches. i bought my p/n 0261210170 from Discount Auto Parts Catalog - StopShopAndDrive for $50 (roughly) delivered. much thx to everyone that gave input.....i greatly appreciate it!!!!!! THIS SITE ROCKS!
Carmine, would you please give us a step by step DIY on how to change out the CPS on an M113. Please tell us ALL of your secrets. What tools did you use? How where you able to install the CPS w/o dropping the screws? Reconnecting the wire? etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i should've have included the following info....

i was able to diagnose my problem, but i did not in any way do the fix/repair.

all i did was go to mercedes and buy the CPS......a mechanic actually did the service. i do not have a car lift, i don't have the tools or knowledge, nor did i have the time to get into the repair myself.

i couldn't even start to explain where this sensor is, or how to get to the sensor, or even the neccessary tools needed to do the fix

my appologies for not making that initially clear. like i said, all i did was buy a part, a mechanic did the hands-on stuff/service.

·
Banned
8,660 Posts
i was able to diagnose my problem, but i did not in any way do the fix/repair.

all i did was go to mercedes and buy the CPS......a mechanic actually did the service. i do not have a car lift, i don't have the tools or knowledge, nor did i have the time to get into the repair myself.

i couldn't even start to explain where this sensor is, or how to get to the sensor, or even the neccessary tools needed to do the fix

my appologies for not making that initially clear. like i said, all i did was buy a part, a mechanic did the hands-on stuff/service.
Thanks for the feedback. BTW, because the CPS is in a tricky location I think you made the right choice to pay for the labor. I have now heard of several people the claim this to be a 10 minute job if all goes well but if you drop the Torx screw, and several have, then you have to go searching for it which means removing the under the engine plastic engine shroud and there goes your 10 minute task.

How many miles does your 1999 SL500 have on the odometer?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts