Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
03 ml350
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the oil for the first time at the 15k km recommended interval (Canada). I did not liked the look of it and the filter seals were kinda hard. I am wondering if I shouldn't change it more often than the recommended 15k km.
Maybe the 15k km is a marketing gimmick (like the "sealed for life" transmission, differential and transfer case). if "life" means 100k miles for MB, maybe we'd benefit for changing more often, esp since I will keep this truck for a very very long time (probably till the gouvernment will make em illegal)
Wondering if anyone had its old oil sent to a lab for testing.
I have used the Mobil1 0w40 and Mann fleece filter but even so I have my doubts.
Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
Just changed the oil for the first time at the 15k km recommended interval (Canada). I did not liked the look of it and the filter seals were kinda hard. I am wondering if I shouldn't change it more often than the recommended 15k km.
Maybe the 15k km is a marketing gimmick (like the "sealed for life" transmission, differential and transfer case). if "life" means 100k miles for MB, maybe we'd benefit for changing more often, esp since I will keep this truck for a very very long time (probably till the gouvernment will make em illegal)
Wondering if anyone had its old oil sent to a lab for testing.
I have used the Mobil1 0w40 and Mann fleece filter but even so I have my doubts.
Any input would be appreciated.
I use M1 0w-40 for most of my vehicles. I am reasonably comfortable with 7500 miles.

The only way to really know if 15k km is too much is to do the oil analysis on that oil. Each vehicle is a little different, subjected to different drivers, and a different environment. So if you think 15k km is too much, cut back to 10k or 12k km and do a used oil analysis when the old oil comes out. Given your comments, I would do the next change at 10k km and see how it tests.

In the states, a lot of people use Blackstone for the UOA.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
I've seen many used oil analyses on this forum for this engine in different models. Most came out very well for life even beyond 10k miles. I've also seen tests on Mobil1 0W-40 used in different vehicles and those were pretty robust past 10k miles as well.

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
I, too, worried about the seemingly long service interval when I got my MY99. One has to remember that the sump capacity in these engines is about twice that in older cars so you are only doubling the interval from the old 3k miles rule based on dilution of contaminants. Even with this, I worried and started having my oil tested at the FSS intervals, typically 12.5k miles. The results were always the same: I could extend the interval much more. Do as you wish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts