Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
If anyone can help with this that would be great.Ive a '97 108d vito with a fresh mot and new brake pads all round.I did a short run and the steering started to pull and power loss.There was smoke coming from the wheel which was to hot to touch and the wheel wouldnt turn once jacked.Took it all to bits checked piston=ok (moved in and out per normal),pads as new except a bit glazed,no oil leakage,good pedal pressure....????.But the alloy coating on the wheel had all cracked because of extreme temps.Put it all back together and ran it for about 1500miles and the exact same thing happened yesterday out of the blue.
Do they have ABS?I do a fair bit of DIY mantainance but im stuck on this one.
cheers

·
Registered
ML63 AMG & 2 350 SLK with AMG kit.
2,488 Posts
Hi, Was the brake on when you jacked it up ie, were the pads on the disc hard?
Ian.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there,Yes the wheel was stiff to turn by hand .The caliper came off quite easily without having to press the piston back though.I noticed that one of the pads had a crack in the asbestos.I thought this was due to the heat though.Got any ideas??
Cheers

·
Registered
ML63 AMG & 2 350 SLK with AMG kit.
2,488 Posts
Hi, I would say a sticking piston in the caliper, or the pads are jamming in the caliper.
Try new pads and clean up the caliper, apply copper slip to the areas that touch the pads.
Ian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts