Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Vito 108Cdi 2003
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Having a few problems with my heater blower.
Recently it stopped working and I thought it was a fuse, couldn't find a blown fuse and it just started working again.
Sometimes it squeals at start up as if seized,
sometimes it doesn't start until the engine is running and
sometimes it starts straight away but will start squealing and I need to turn the setting down

Is my blower motor about to go?
And if so are they easy to replace?

Thanks in advance

Euge

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,387 Posts
I will assume its a right hand drive vehicle.

its possible that its the motor but they can last "forever"

it sounds like a crap build-up on the rotor.... you get muck into the motor all the time (its why the pollen filter is installed on the outlet) and moisture gets in all the time (its called rain).... if the motor through-put is restricted, moisture and muck build up like glue and cause problems

removal for cleaning and replacement is easy.

the motor is held by 3 small screws in its front plate.

you need to remove the left-hand carpet ABOVE the footwell.... its on clips at the passenger side.. clipped to the dashboard edge.. and SCREW-ON discs at the engine-edge to the bulkhead.... remove the dash clips ONLY.

the carpet will flop down giving access.

pull out lefthand airvent (pull by top and bottom extreme edge.. NOT the vented part).. you can see the blower behind it.

remove the 3 screws (120deg apart)... I did it by "feel" as I'm too old and unfit to get under the dash to look.

the motor just pulls out towards you (if it hasn't already fallen out)... clean it out with a paint brush and cloth... NOT cleaning fluid.... you can check it spins freely.. DO NOT OIL it

if you want to replace it, I suggest CUTTING the 2 wires 6in to a foot from the motor and do the same with the replacement (leave these at least 3inch longer) and rejoin with a cable connector (lego block type).... the proper connector is behind the control unit and a lot more work to get at.

the controlling resistor block is in the big pipe above the footwell at about where the cut was made... it has 1 screw at each end... DON'T touch it unless it stops working (the motor stops and fuse blows) this was simply information

when the fan is working, test it works properly directing air to the top (vents) or bottom (footwell) if a control cable snaps it will stop letting air out in either up or down positions... then the resistor overheats and blows the fuse or melts the fuseblock... THIS IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM but information if you DO get a problem

malcolm

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,387 Posts
get it fixed (I have a spare blower in case mine goes again) then come round here and I'll instruct you how to take my dash out and replace the control wires for the heater flaps..... I'll instruct, gullible idiot (sorry, you) do the work.... I've been ignoring it for the last 2 winters but I will have to get at it sometime.

anyway good luck... the blower really is pretty simple.... A WARNING do NOT try to run the blower directly from the battery... it ISN'T 12volt.... its actually designed to run at about 9 1/2 volts.... thats 12volt through the resistor block... it WILL run at 12v but it will just as likely burn out.

malcolm

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just done mine ,the previous owner didn’t remove the old filter they just pushed it further inside and put a new one in , so I ended up removing 2 ,air flow is brilliant now and the motor doesn’t rumble anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts