Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, as a newbi to the vitoworld I need some advice.
I'm thinking of buying a vito, and a friend of mine told me that he heard that the cdi engine was way better and the way to go. Since my budget is not unlimited I'm wondering if the engine is so much better to justify the price difference?
Pleas help me out!
Can I buy a used 108 and fell fine, or should I walk to the bank and get the cdi?
Fuel consumption?
Build quality?
and so on..

sincerely Kristofer (Sweden)

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
Hi Kristofer

As far as I know the diesel engines for the Mk 1 vito come in a four flavours:

108D - non-turbo diesel, 79 hp (horse power)
108CDi - turbo charged, does about 82 hp
110CDi - turbo charged, does about 102 hp
112CDi - again does about 122 hp .

I know the 110 is a version of the 108 but with a bigger turbo and different mapping. I also think the 108CDi is just a turbocharged 108D.

If I were you I would go for the 110 CDi if I could or even the 112 (but tend to be pricey and rare). I have driven a 108D and a 108CDi (which I own) both certainly have a lack of poke, especially when loaded with gear. The 108CDi only has 3 more hp than the 108D but did have more pull, for sure.

I think the engines are pretty much bullet-proof if (and this is a big if) they are serviced regularly. I reckon history is more important that the engine type. There are plenty examples out there of the 108CDi that have 200,000+ miles on them.

I think the rusty bodywork kills the vito before the engine does.

I hope this helps

Adam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Adam and thank you for your answer.
If I understand you right, the enngines are more or less the same, exept for the poke. Since I wont drive fully loaded very often (mostly just my Aprilia) I hope the pull from the cheaper engines will be enough...

So i'll just start looking for a properly served an well maintained car, and ride smiling in to the sunset!

thanks again//
Kristofer

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
Hi Kristofer,
Well, if you get the 108CDi you might be able to get one of those remapping boxes fitted. I think they cost about 300-400 euro but I find my 108CDi is okay - It's built for comfort, not speed!!
Cheerio
Adam.

·
Registered
Vito 280 ,ZX7r,gsxr 750, ,Z650 Cafe ,Benelli Tornado.Ford consul , Ford Pop , ,Chevy Astro,Dog,Wife
1,488 Posts
Hi Kris, i have had a 108d for four years now without any trouble ,but from reading the posts here all the problems people seem to have are with the "cdi" version .I carry a fair bit of weight around all the time but can feel a difference whem empty , i've just returned from u.k. carrying a 20 stone mate ,a v 8 engine and box (which weighs the same as my zx7r track bike) a set of four wheels and tyres and could cruise at 120kph all day without noticing any real loss of power.I dont think the difference between the 108 and 108cdi is worth considering ,i'd say go for the 110 or 112 if possible ,i've never driven any of the others as i'm happy with my "little" 108d.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everybody! More and more in farvour of the 110 and 112. But how about fuel consumption?

Cheers

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've just replaced my 108CDi with a 110CDi. There's a big difference in acceleration & pulling power. Want to road test a 112CDi to see how they perform.

Ugly

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5 XT, 2012 CNG Civic
1,768 Posts
the 112s certainly are very powerful - drove a couple back in the Netherlands and it is the wide powerband that amazed me. Even in a Sprinter it kept on going and going. But proper maintenance is key to keep it nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts