Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
280SL
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there are more SL's in Southern California than anywhere else in the world! I see many of them for-sale everyday. Since I am an enthusiast and proud owner of an '83 280SL (Euro), I like to check them out. I have found clean, low mileage SL's from $4900!

My offer is this. If you are interested, contact me via this forum and tell me what you’re looking for. I can just about guarantee that I can find it!

I will broker the deal. I can e-mail you up to 100, high-quality digital pictures of the car. Pics will include complete interior, exterior, engine compartment, odometer, trunk, and any other pictures you would like me to take. I will send any records associated with the car, including a Carfax report. And in good faith, I will put you in direct contact with the actual dealer or seller of your baby.

107's, 113's and 129's only. I'm dealing in SL's, no other Benz class. If you don't live in the U.S., sorry, I can't help you, (unless your willing to pay that kind of freight...).

Here is the "SL of the Week". Contact me if you are interested...

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I would be interested pretty soon. We'll talk about the details. I have a separate...

I think I would be interested pretty soon. We'll talk about the details. I have a separate question. I know you have 280 EURO. That's probably what I'm looking for. How about parts for euro models. There are only US models listed on all sites I've been so far...
Please advise....

·
Registered
280SL
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parts-

I'm not a mechanic-but I have a very good one. I can tell you what I've paid for on repaires on mine, P&L. Hopefully it will give you an idea.

Dash light bulbs: $40.
Rear flex plate: $100
Motor mounts: $200
Brake master cylinder: $300
Complete tune including belts: $350.

My SL has 210,000 miles and runs better than my '94 Mitsubishi 3000 GT: Priceless!

I've had no problems with parts for my Panzerwagon. My mechanic has assured me that getting parts will be no problem. Sure I pay, But remember, this is CALIFORNIA. That's why we all drive Benzes-they spend the least amount of time in for repairs. They always look good, and they last forever!

Symbol of Excellence:

Attachments

·
Registered
83 300D Turbo
4 Posts
I test drove a '83 280 last week here in SoCal. The owner did not know it was a European ...

I test drove a '83 280 last week here in SoCal. The owner did not know it was a European model and was advertising it as a 380 with a 280 replacement motor. I made him a low ball offer but got no response and today saw it re-advertised as a European 280 listed at $6999. It has 217000 miles but drove quite nice. It is listed in the Autotrader. I would be interested in a similar vehicle if it could be had for around $5000. Also I was curious as to Calif. smog testing. Any problems?

·
Registered
280SL
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Euro features...

Smaller bumpers and a manual transmission are a dead givaway. I am sure you enlightened him as to what he had. If it is good shape and runs well, $6999 is a good price. Again, mine has 210,000 miles and runs like a champ. I'd make him an offer for 6k and give him a few days-you've got nothing to lose!

Here is a good front-end comparison. "Cameraman" Dan (Southern California SL Club member) is in my Euro, parked next to his American:

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 300E
1 Posts
1988 560sl

Is that a good engine?
I'm looking at an 88 whtie and palomino here for around 20K 60,000 miles
Can you offer suggestions?
Thanks
Russ

·
Registered
280SL
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'Lil help...

Here is a URL that will help you alot. Thank Rasputin for finding it.

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~gbf/107/rt.html

This is a great article from Road and Track. It provides a great overview of the 107. Although the 380's had some problems in '81, it generally describes the SL's engines as "unburstable".

When I purchased my 107 Euro, I worried about getting a California Smog Certificate. As you know, California has the highest emissions test standard in the world. The car had an aftermarket catalytic converter installed about 5 years prior. I took it to the shop and it passed on the first try.

Attachments

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
107s

What is The Broker fee Involved in the Sale ?
I Have a 1974 450SL 90k 2owner repainted,new soft top,Hard top,new seats,Alloys with new michs,New Exhaust,No leaks,Books,Records NO Rust in The Quarter/trunk..Clean SL

·
Registered
280SL
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Broker fees

$200 to $300 for a 107
$300 to $500 for a 129

Always negotiable, and can be paid by buyer, seller, or both. I'm doing this for the love of the car, not to make a killing.

·
Registered
280SL
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SL Club...

So far, slow but moving on. Due to an increase in my business, I've slacked on the web site. You are a member by default if you are a Southern California Sl owner. Keep your eyes peeled in this forum for another GTG soon...
Marc

·
Registered
280SL
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark, are you looking to sell?

I have a friend who has fallen in love with mine, and wants her own. I can have you talk to her directly. My fee? Gratis. I do not make money off my friends. Contact me here or e-mail me at [email protected] Pics would be good...

·
Registered
1 Posts
450 SL wanted for Purchase

Marcus,
I saw your posting and was wondering if you could help me locate a 1979 750 SL in Silver with Black Interior. I am looking for one in nice condition for my daily driving car. I will consider other model years but would prefer 1979.
Thanks,
Chris Lee
[email protected]

·
Registered
280SL
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
-Keeping my eyes open...

Chris-
I've got a line on a few nice 107-SL's, but no '79's yet. Unfortunately, I lost my DigiCamera, so I do'nt have pictures available. I'm buying a new cam sometime in the next 2 weeks, so pics will be back on line.
Question-why the preference for '79's? As far as I know, the 107 body style was practically unchanged for 20 years...You know something we dont...?
Marcus

·
Registered
1 Posts
are u still dealing with R107

Hello,
I live in Dubai in the Arab Gulf. There are lots of SL imported from the USA but always overpriced or in bad condition. I am looking for a 560SL or 500SL, 1985 model or younger, with soft top and pagoda hard top, very good condition mechanical and body condition all around and below the car and the carpets!! full maintenance history, less than 70000 miles. Shipping will cost me around 1300 USD. I am ready to pay around 7500 USD. White color preferred but not a must. Is there some kind of official testing report avaiable from independent service company.
Thanks and regards
Thierry
[8D]

·
Registered
Mercedes 1979 280ce
179 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6315&item=2456107938

Any idea what this baby is worth? I'd like one in light metallic blue please.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300 SL-24
111 Posts
Well Architec if you want I can sell you mine... :)
Much better than the one you saw on e-bay, but a slight problem: it's in Portugal...
Euro 280 SLC 59000 km (36k miles, more or less), 1981, 185 bhp, no catalitic converter, a/c, abs, power windows... Everything but leather seats (velours) and original becker.
How much do you think such a car would get in the US?

Jorge
'81 280 SLC

·
Registered
Mercedes 1979 280ce
179 Posts
How's the weather in Portugal? It's snowing here in Colorado.

1980 MERCEDES-BENZ 280SLC COUPE 1971-81 2.8/185 6C
Fair 5,500
Good 7,000
Exc 13,500
Show 18,500
Loan value 6,300

Above are one version of US dollar valuations for a 1980 US version of a 1980 280 SLC. Usually E-bay purchase offers will be well under the published valuations for the SLC, the SL's are selling for higher prices than a similar SLC. It's hard for me to bid the full valuation, when I'm looking at a couple of digital pictures.

I thought from just the description and the few pictures the 1979 450SLC on ebay would be worth over $7,000. I've inquired with the seller, why the auction ended early, and if sold, how much, haven't heard back yet.

If your ever in Colorado,I'd love to see your 280SLC.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300 SL-24
111 Posts
Today is not that good: sunny, around 20ºC [8D]
How can anyone live with snow...

Too bad for the USD... If it was 1 for 1 with the Euro it would be a good deal those 18500!
Wouldn't it be much better for you to buy european specs cars? Even my 2.8 6 cylinder is much more powerful than the 4.5 V8 american version.
Is it difficult to import?

Jorge
'81 280 SLC

·
Registered
Mercedes 1979 280ce
179 Posts
Hello Jorg,

I just talked with a man who has owned several European spec 280E's - he loves them, and offered one for sale.

The European version of the six cylinder 110 twin cam motor found in the 280ce and the 280slc is definitely prefered over the USA version, and usually sell for a higher price than the USA version. Everyone who drives the USA 280 six cylinder - 110 motor understands it was designed to produce more horsepower.

European spec cars must be properly converted to the USA emissions standards, and after that they'll pass the yearly emission tests. Most parts are not, however; some European parts are hard to find in the USA, we'd probably have to order a European bumper from Europe.

We see a fair number of European spec cars for sale in America. We have Classic / Vintage registration and insurance which simplies ownership I'd guess the cost of international shipping and importation taxation would be quite high. You'd have to purchase something very special - to justify the added cost.

If given the choice, I'd stop the snow..immediately.

John

1 - 20 of 33 Posts