Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the information. I managed well (after 1,5 hrs ;-) o a 300 SL 1987. Now test drive with two clips up for first time. Tip: don't swear to loud if you turned the male clip upside down the first time. You have a chance of 1/2.

·
Registered
1985 380SL, 1998 230SLK
1,548 Posts
Two things to add to this:

1) If you have trouble replacing the rearview mirror, try putting the other side up into the fitting first, then pushing in. I found if I put the right side of the mirror into the mount first, I couldn't get the mirror in at all, but if I put the left side in first, it went in without any trouble.

2) If you have issues with dome light wiring, such as there is none or it's not clear how the dome lights should be wired, here's a thread on that:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1657882-notes-dome-light-wiring.html

·
Registered
1972 350SL VIN 107.044.12.000068
137 Posts
All, I ordered the eBay clips from 107clips and they seem to work pretty well. Not quite exactly the OEM but very close, and some improvements especially on the female side.

I put the males in backwards the first time - it's important that you get it so the longer side of the male is towards the inside of the car. I had to take them out and redo, by then I was good at it!

Also the flathead tensioner screw can be cranked pretty tight in order to get the ball and socket rod end to do what you want. I've got mine like I like them now, they stay up no matter what. The same with the Phillips head screw, it can go pretty tight but doesn't need to because you want the visor to rotate on the rod (but not fall). It's a fine adjustment, just don't break the clip inside there when you remove/insert the rod!

To remove/insert the rod on my '72, I had to flip the rod around to a position where the male clip was facing backward (it's a position that would be impossible to put the visor in, if it were still in the car mounted), then slowly work the rod out, then I could spin it back once the rod's metal tab was past the restriction point...and reverse all that to put it back in. Like I said, double check your male clips before you finalize - the long end of the 107clips version of the clip needs to go to the inside of the car!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Full Instructions from 107clips

107 Clips @ Ebay
PLEASE READ AND INSTALL STEP-BY-STEP! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
(These Steps Are To Prevent Your Sun Visors From Failure, And Certain Your Visor Clips Are Installed Correctly!)
W107 Sun Visor Installation And Positioning
(Phillips Screwdriver Needed)
Rearview Mirror Removal
Carefully and gently pull the rearview mirror. After pulling, you will see a little frame with 3 phillips screws. Remove the screws and pull off the frame. Note: You must re-install the little frame the same way as it was taken-off. This is very important, because if you flip it over, the screws will not align with the surface of the frame evenly, and it will be impossible to re-install the mirror.
Pillar Post Removal
Inside the female visor clip is a phillips screw, which you will remove. Inside the pillar post is a small hole on each end. Remove the phillips screw. This is important. Now, the pillar post is free to come out.
Positioning Of The Female Visor Clip
The female visor clip must be installed correctly, the way it came off! Each female visor clip is designed on the face surrounding it: On the top, there is a small edge, and on the bottom, there is a thicker edge. The thicker edge will always face the bottom of the car's interior. The smaller edge will face upwards towards the ceiling. Left or right visor clips are the same positioning.
Each female clip comes with a stainless steel washer that reinforces the visor, allowing tightening of the screw as tightly as needed, to be strong and solid.
Positioning Of The Male Clip
Turn 30 degree & pull the rod First ,The male visor clip is designed with a groove inside the hole, so that it will lock into the rod. At the end of the rod where the male clip fits, is about a 3" long groove. The male clip must position exactly in this groove. In other words, the groove inside the male visor clip must align with the groove in the tension rod. If they are not aligned, they will not go in.
Look closely at the male visor clip. You will see that it has an angled L-shape. This angle must install facing the other mounting visor end rod. This is very important because this controls the distance and fit design of all SL's. Otherwise, it will be difficult to mount the visors in and out. In some cases, it will put too much pressure on the female clip, and as a result, will cause damage. This is the way Mercedes-Benz designed the clips so that they will fit and work without problems. This is the correct way to install, and must be installed as such.
Removal Of Sun Visors
You have now removed the pillar posts. On each sun visor end, you will see 3 phillips screws. Remove the 2 screws from the outer ends, and the visor will come off.
For 560's with vanity mirrors, you must disconnect the ground wire, (which is held by a screw,) and the power wire that connects to the dorm lights. The dorm lights are connected with the upper pillar posts
turn 30 degree the rod & pull it ,this is the only Positioning way that the rod will free & come out ,do not just pull the rod @ any Positioning ,only 30 degree down ,that is the correct Position, pulling any other Position may damage the vissor
Installing Male Visor Clips
Next to the visor clip is a small screw, which you will loosen. This is one of the two tensioners. In order to remove the male clip, the tensioner must be loosened. Now, the rod will turn freely inside the sun visor. Turn the visor rod 30 degrees. You may now pull off the rod and install the new, male visor clip. (This part is very easy, as my new visor clips are designed with an interior groove and will slide right in: No pressure or power needed, and they will be locked-in permanently.) After installing the male clip, check to see that the angle is looking inside towards the end of the visor rod where the 2 screws come off. This is very important.
At the end, you will be able to tighten the tensioner beside the clip. The tensioner does not have to be too tight, which controls the visor itself. If you tighten too much, you will have problems pulling the visor down, so give a little slack. You will be able to position the visor itself to whatever angles you desire. This may be done any time after the sun visors are installed. But, the one inside with the 2 outer screws, must be done very well and only once, because it's a big process to repeat. Install correctly only one time, so that you will not have to ever go back and re-do it again.
Repair Or Tighten The Tensioners
Each visor has 2 tensioners. One is next to the male visor clip, and the other is between the 2 screws on the other end of the visor rod.
In the middle of the 2 screws, is a flat-head phillips screw. This one is to control the movement of the entire rod. It must be very well tightened. Some visors are so tight that they will not tighten anymore because they are no longer working properly: Either the rod or housing is worn-out, and they will not tighten well. In this case, you loosen-up the screw. Get a tiny piece of cloth, vinyl, or leather, and install it between the housing and the rod "ball," which is located on the back of the rod. You will see from where the tensioner came off. In the back, you will see the housing that holds the arm. Tighten the tensioner very well, because you will not have access to see the pillar post after installation. Thus, this is the time to install and tighten everything, so that you will not have any issues whatsoever with anything.
Install as per my instructions, and you will never have another problem with your sun visors again. You now have solid, strong visor clips with a lifetime warranty. Everything is tightened and in their proper positions; Hence, your problem is solved.
Purpose Of Tensioners
Tensioner One, (tensioner with 2 outer mounting screws:) Purpose is to keep the visor solid and straight with the support of the male clip itself. It makes the visor flexible enough to various, angled positions. You have a solid visor rod from the housing to the pillar post. It doesn't move up or down nor slide, and is correctly aligned.
Tensioner Two: Purpose is to control the visor so that you may control it up or down.
This is Mercedes-Benz's design, which is a wonderful system allowing you to do almost any position with your visors.
Each component has its' specific purpose, and was designed as such, so we must follow Mercedes-Benz's accuracy and precision. This is what works and looks best, and is also very safe.
*** This installation is very crucial and important. Not every mechanic knows the fine details, which are very important! If you are not performing the installation yourself, please provide your mechanic with the installation instructions!
Thank you for purchasing my W107 visor clips with lifetime warranty!

·
Registered
1984 380sl
81 Posts
I have an eBay ad for a " Milos Services Inc." in Miami, Fl. Ph: 305-638-8033. Looked like $165.00 Ea plus Shippimg.

·
Registered
137 Posts
How the male sun visor clips go

I took this picture to show how the 107clips eBay clips are supposed to look installed, because it's not obvious. This is taken from below the rear view mirror looking up. Hope it helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
86 560SL, 08 Dodge Challenger, 59 Buick Electra coup, 83 chrysler Imperial
30 Posts
Sun Visor

i purchased w126 MIRRORS on ebay for 1dollar +shipping. fit my 1989 560sl perfectly. same mirror.
I was looking for vanity mirror in cream color for a long time, I did not want to order the part from the dealer because I know he will ask very high $, and what I found in the market is in incredible high $ too.

Recently I bought 2 used Sun Visors from ebay in $32 with shipping. (W124 1995-90. It is widely available and it’s possible from other models of the same time period)
They are in good condition especially the vanity mirrors which the Driver side plastic caver was brooked in my 86 SL and the mirror in bad shape too.
The Sun Visors where different in the style, but their vanity mirrors in equal size. So I removed the old vanity mirror and replace it with what I just bought.
Stripped the wire and then connected to the original wire, wrapped with adhesive tape and every thing in working order...

Why buy parts for (W107) while we may find match parts from other Mercedes models?!

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,472 Posts
I was looking for vanity mirror in cream color for a long time, I did not want to order the part from the dealer because I know he will ask very high $, and what I found in the market is in incredible high $ too.

Recently I bought 2 used Sun Visors from ebay in $32 with shipping. (W124 1995-90. It is widely available and it’s possible from other models of the same time period)
They are in good condition especially the vanity mirrors which the Driver side plastic caver was brooked in my 86 SL and the mirror in bad shape too.
The Sun Visors where different in the style, but their vanity mirrors in equal size. So I removed the old vanity mirror and replace it with what I just bought.
Stripped the wire and then connected to the original wire, wrapped with adhesive tape and every thing in working order...

Why buy parts for (W107) while we may find match parts from other Mercedes models?!
Thanks but adhesive tape! You must be joking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks rowdie...
Sure, but what I meant in this case, you need something to hold in its place such as strong glue!

·
Registered
US spec MB560SL 1986, Audi A4 and A6, Ford Taunus 1964 17M and 2.0 1975
1,419 Posts
Vanity mirror glue?

I am interested to hear suggestions how to fix the vanity mirrors into the sun visors?

The used glue shall be strong enough hold the mirror, sun heat resistant, on the other hand weak enough to rebuilt the mirror again if needed.

I have used door sealing butyl style glue stripes but it is not strong enough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yke...

1) Pull the fuse for the visors.

2) Carefully use a small blade screwdriver and pry the bottom of the mirror up slightly then pull the mirror unit completely. You will see the 2 bulbs and 2 wires when mirror cover out.

3)Unplug the 2 wires and use a heat gun to warm the spots where the plastic frame is glued in and gently pry on the corners with your fingers. It will come out if you’re gentle.

DO NOT MELT THE PLASIC OR VINYL THE GLUE SOFTENS EASILY!

4)Pull the frame out and peel off any areas of glue build up.

5) Re-assembly is the reverse of disassembly. use hot glue to attach the new frames to the visor. Now would be a good time to replace bulbs if you choose.

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 560 sl
28 Posts
The lids on my 560sl mirrors are broken. Are the W124 1995-90 mirrors the same as the 107 ?. I found some cheap on ebay and want to just replace the lids (the mirors are in good shape). It would be great if I could just replace the lids. THANKS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
107 Visor Replacement

Are the W124 1995-90 mirrors the same as the 107 ?. .
Yes, they are the same size and shape and fit perfectly ... Check the color before buying.. maybe a little different...In any case ... The price is cheaper than the W107 which they exaggerated in their price. Good Luck.:thumbsup:

21 - 40 of 48 Posts