Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
39,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would have driven the SL to work this morning but of course, it's in D.C. for a wedding so I was on the east side of the Baltimore Beltway, outer loop, this morning in the emergency Sable when I see quad headlights in my rear view mirror about a quarter mile back but closing fast.

I moved to the center lane and waited for him to overtake me so I could get a look at it. Black 280SL, WDTD, ROTW bumpers, rolling 80 to 85mph. The nose was up a bit. I should have taken a picture.

From here on, if I get the chance, I think I will.

Anyway...I just wish I had been in mine so I could have waved. Bastard probably wouldn't have waved back.

Yes he would have.

Nah.

Maybe. I dunno.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I love hearing stories about travels and visions and miles clocked without troubles. Cruising along at 85 to 100mph. It all sounds so wonderful. Being somewhat new to this computer thing and not up on all the abbreviations and what they mean. I feel I'm missing out of much of what others take for granted. I know a few simple things like ROFLMAO and lol. Is there a site where I can refer to when I don't know what it is someone is referring to? like WDTD and ROTW bumpers. What is this suppose to mean? I don't want to sound like a dummy but there is no other way without asking and sounding like one. I'm trying to catch up, really I am. thanks.

Skip

·
39,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed ("Rumpole of the Baily" and much later, Dave Feherty in "Golf" magazine)

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,060 Posts
Funny enough, on my way out of Buffalo, after the GTG, I had just left the hotel parking lot when I pulled up beside another SL. Guy in the passenger seat, woman driving. He smiled and said "Nice car!"
I replied "You too" and the light changed and they were gone.
450SL...year unknown....light blue.

·
Registered
250 Posts
This past week has had to be one of the nicest July weeks the DC area has experienced in years. Temps in the starting in the mid 60's going up to the mid 80's, with low to moderate humidity.

For the first time since I got the 560sl, drove it into work everyday WDTD and same on the way home. Every day, saw at least two other 107s on the morning or afternoon commute--none of the sightings were repeats.

...and, on Thursday, I was picking up parts at Arlington Service Center. I was parked next to a white E320 Cabriolet and, after I went into the Parts Department, a gold 107 pulled up on the other side of him (nice looking car).

...I wonder how many 107s are in this area--they're everywhere......

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed ("Rumpole of the Baily" and much later, Dave Feherty in "Golf" magazine)

Odd note:
Actually She Who Must Be Obeyed is originally from H. Rider Haggard's book She, originally published 1886.
Considered one of the classical books of speculative fiction. In the same genre as the Tarzan character.

·
39,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Odd note:
Actually She Who Must Be Obeyed is originally from H. Rider Haggard's book She, originally published 1886.
Considered one of the classical books of speculative fiction. In the same genre as the Tarzan character.
My education continues.

From Wikipedia regarding the novel, "She".
Explanation of the novel's title

The title is short for "She Who Must Be Obeyed", a translation of the Arabic honorific used for Ayesha by the Amahagger, a tribe whom she has enslaved. In childhood, Haggard's nursemaid used to menace him with an ugly doll which went by the name "she who must be obeyed". (The phrase acquired additional significance in British popular culture as the name by which John Mortimer's character Horace Rumpole refers to his wife.)

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,457 Posts
There is hope for the next generation.

I was out earlier for a drive and stopped to top off the gas tank. As I started to pull away I heard a child in the car across from me yell "Mom did you see that car" I waved and pulled out. Should have stopped and talked to him but didn't think about it then.

·
39,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had to take a run up to Newark, Delaware this morning. A buck sixty round trip (I'm getting my grille badge, dammit!). As I was driving through the parking lot of my destination, a black 560 (DE plates, natch) pulled up to the stop sign opposite me. I was, of course, WDTD. He was driving his with HTIP. I waved. He waved. I bet he was wishing he could have been WDTD.

What a great morning!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hey Dig! If you don't mind tagging along I have a spotting to list.

I knew you wouldn't mind. Well, last week a finished a 4K trip from SW Louisiana to SE Connecticut for a vacation and would you beleive, I spotted only 1 107!! This is an outrage, but it was a very nice looking 380SL with 2 ladies in it tooling along on I-20 west just outside of Knoxville, TN.

Thanks Dig. :)

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Diamond Blue or Ice blue, IDK what model, two weeks ago. First one that I have seen since I bought mine. Then two days later a brown SLC for sale on the side of rt 303 on my way to Medina. IDK what model on that, was doin 65 on my way to the golf course, about drove off the road as it is...:eek::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
There's a dark blue 560SL that I see occasionally on the freeway. It always turns off two exits before my exit. It's always in the slow lane, it always has the hard top on, and it's always driving 10 mph slower than traffic around it, as the blue haired matron white-knuckles it down the road. Sad. I keep hoping her kids will chip in and buy her a Lincoln, so she can pass it on to someone who treats it with proper respect and courtesy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Classic, performance and luxury cars are all prolific in my area. European ones, especially. I see at least a couple 107s daily, usually different ones each time. They don't wave back at me. In fact, I'm lucky if I can get one to let me in when changing lanes. *@#! Mercedes drivers, rude the whole lot of them! ;)

The SLCs are rarer - I've only seen three others in the month or so I've had mine. There's a yellow one that keeps popping up. He must live nearby to me.

Were the louvers on the SLCs originally all silver, or body-colored?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
14 Participants
Weather Man
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing