Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560SL 2014 A6 2012 Tahoe
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning - 77 degrees - Mostly cloudy with predicted clearing to blue skies. It's Friday. Got notional, and took the 107 to work.

Turned a corner, in the 6 seconds it took to pass it, I observed a very nice looking bright red 107 is in the opposite lane of traffic, and immediately (of course) my attention was diverted from my direction of travel and locked in on the 107 (who wouldn't?). With the WDTD, it was obvious that I was leering, lusting and focused on the red 107 in the opposite lane.

As is common courtesy among Harley Davidson riders - an appropriate wave was offered by myself to the driver of this nice-looking specimen - and I caught sight of the driver of the 107, a 60's+ (or maybe a hard-ridden 50's) woman with a beehive hairdo (WUTU) who obviously acknowledged that my gesture was intended for her because she looked right at me and made a face that suggested she had just smelled something rank.

Now, I ask, my friends, have I violated the proper 107 etiquette? Are there standards of behavior among us elite, or have I violated the reverence and respect and concentration during operation which is so obviously due to the machine? Are there to be no cheerful waves, smiles and exchanges of appreciation between us?

Or - more likely - was it just an old biddy with a beehive who doesn't appreciate her machine?

:: sigh ::: what a depressing way to start a nice drive.

·
Registered
1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
7,563 Posts
This morning - 77 degrees - Mostly cloudy with predicted clearing to blue skies. It's Friday. Got notional, and took the 107 to work.

Turned a corner, in the 6 seconds it took to pass it, I observed a very nice looking bright red 107 is in the opposite lane of traffic, and immediately (of course) my attention was diverted from my direction of travel and locked in on the 107 (who wouldn't?). With the WDTD, it was obvious that I was leering, lusting and focused on the red 107 in the opposite lane.

As is common courtesy among Harley Davidson riders - an appropriate wave was offered by myself to the driver of this nice-looking specimen - and I caught sight of the driver of the 107, a 60's+ (or maybe a hard-ridden 50's) woman with a beehive hairdo (WUTU) who obviously acknowledged that my gesture was intended for her because she looked right at me and made a face that suggested she had just smelled something rank.

Now, I ask, my friends, have I violated the proper 107 etiquette? Are there standards of behavior among us elite, or have I violated the reverence and respect and concentration during operation which is so obviously due to the machine? Are there to be no cheerful waves, smiles and exchanges of appreciation between us?

Or - more likely - was it just an old biddy with a beehive who doesn't appreciate her machine?

:: sigh ::: what a depressing way to start a nice drive.
Don't be discouraged. The latter is probably the case. And not only would I wave back but if it was a two lane road and I was just cruisin, would probably pull off the road and look to see if you did the same. She needs to sell the car to someone more appreciative and go get herself a beemer with that attitude, IMO.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'85 280 SL 5 speed
44 Posts
I probably see no more than two 107's a year while I'm driving, and when I saw one last week we were waving so enthusiastically at eachother we nearly had a head-on :eek:

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,884 Posts
Down here if you don't acknowledge even strangers with a wave of more than one finger you are considered an unfriendly snob. And it does not matter what kind of vehicle you drive.

When I go to the big city they probably think I am nuts because out of habit I give a friendly wave and smile. The best thing that ever happened to me was moving to the country and slowing down. No more road rage and a lot more tolerance for stupidity.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Small town living. In VA this summer, I was driving my better half's aunt's (Aunt in law?) F350 truck, dragging a horse trailer behind to take a tractor to the mechanic and pick up a new one.

I got spoken to later in the day because someone, who recognized the truck and waved did not get a return wave.

We need some sort of an OK sign to be flashed between us IMHO!

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,884 Posts
How in the hell did you get a tractor into a horse trailer?????????????

·
Registered
1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
7,563 Posts
When I first moved to GA, it confused the hell out of me. Driving my p/u truck anywhere, other people (in trucks) would wave all the time. it took me two months after I moved back to OH to stop doing that. Kind of sad, actually.
Anywhere I ride the bike I will give other bikers a peace sign, my own little wave variation...

·
Registered
1977 450 SL
13 Posts
I'll tell you- since I got mine out of its 5 year storage and back on the road- when I see a fellow 107 driver, we will damn near stop, turn around, and pull over to admire each other's cars. I'll bet I get stopped or met at a light several times a month. Maybe it's a southern hospitality thing?

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,884 Posts
Now this is a lawn mower. That is when you have a 3 acre lawn.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah... That's it.. but it's an F-Series. No european headlights or bumpers either!

·
Registered
1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
4,442 Posts
That's a toy. This is what I use on my 1.5 acres. I use it to plow out my driveway also with a hydraulic angle blade. The damn thing cost more than my 2005 Nisan Sentra new.

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,884 Posts
That's a toy. This is what I use on my 1.5 acres. I use it to plow out my driveway also with a hydraulic angle blade. The damn thing cost more than my 2005 Nisan Sentra new.
Sorry to be a bit confrontational but do you know what a ZD331 with 72" commercial deck is? It cut my mowing time by a third and uses less diesel than the below with a 7' finish mower. Want to race with mower on?
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,834 Posts
Sorry to be a bit confrontational but do you know what a ZD331 with 72" commercial deck is? It cut my mowing time by a third and uses less diesel than the below with a 7' finish mower. Want to race with mower on?
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I used to work on a lawn mower manufactured by a company called Howard. They made this machine with three wings. It mowed 35 acres an hour.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,884 Posts
Let's get these mowers on the track. Dirt, not silly asphalt. Let's go racin' boys.:boxing_smiley::boxing_smiley::big laugh::big laugh::big laugh:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was kind of waiting for someone who is better at photoshop than I to add a mower deck to that jacked up nasty SUV-107.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
Back on topic I wave at every SL'C's I see on the road. And talk to all the ones I see at parking lots if I'm parked around there too. I'll wait to talk if necessary.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts