Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Very plain design, natural white lights, row of buttons, matt black finishing.

Infact it is Blaupunkt inside.

ps. the nakamichi was very deep at 1980´s (?)
I like it - very clean design.:thumbsup:

Would do the same but AMG installed Naka's and were meant to be the best of their time. Deep too I guess:thumbsup:

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)

·
29,105 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a Kenwood ez500 in my 560SL that goes well with the interior. I just wish I could change the back lighting to match the interior instead of the default red or green. Are there any hidden antenna options out there that offer good reception? My dad tried a flat one in his 450SL but the reception was always pretty poor.

Does anyone have a picture of the area behind the climate controls/stereo? I'm curious how 'open' it is.

·
29,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Does anyone have a picture of the area behind the climate controls/stereo? I'm curious how 'open' it is.
It's not open at all.

There is a pic somewhere.

Let me look.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Aw, shucks. Thanks. I know there's wiring and whatnot back there...maybe even some vaccuum diaphrams...or are those behind the glove box? *shrugs* I don't know. Poor thing sits in the garage and hasn't gotten much attention the last year or so.

·
29,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
29,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,012 Posts

I have this radio in the 380SL. Here were my comments from "another site":

It's "ok", and looks good, but it has several annoyances that make it less than perfect; the biggest of them is that it has no rear AUX input, and the front USB and AUX connectors have doors that are flimsy and will break off rather quickly. The knobs feel flimsy. The display is obviously a "generic" radio display that was made to work in this application, and its fairly crude and garish. The faceplate is very thick and sticks out more than it should. A case for the detachable faceplate (which is a PITA to remove and install) would have been nice.

It's also incredibly slow from switching from function to function (CD to USB to SD to AUX). Basically, this is a low-cost Asian chassis with a custom faceplate.

With that being said, it's about $1000 cheaper than the Becker retro radio, and these things are forgivable at this price.

This is also a very deep radio, and it BARELY fits. But again, at its price and considering that it does look pretty good, much is forgivable.

·
29,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Fonzi, is that a Home Depot card?????? You're killing me brother!!!!!!
Do you expect him to use his Mercedes card do you. ;)

For those of you wanting to color match the illumination on the stereo front to match your dash illumination colors here is the answer to that dilemma. I'm sure there are other brand stereo's that will do the same as this Pioneer. This one looks pretty simple and I'm all about simple

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Great idea for a thread, Nobby.

Mine was the Velcro setup. Within a short while of that installation, the weight of the speaks pulled the carpet off and I had to re-glue it. Then the Velcro came un-glued from the speakers. Now they rest on the parcel shelf. It was a good idea, but...

I can't see going overboard for sound in a convertible. Among my many talents I am also a musician so I have high standards but all I really wanted here was cd's and something decent in the rear for volume. New dash speakers helped, what came out were crap even in 1984.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
I was considering options -

The first pic is what I have now, and Alpine CDA-9886 with the Alpine Parrot Bluetooth module/iPod interface and an Alpine in-line 45 watt amplifier - it does give me iPod input, CD, Bluetooth (including A2DP stereo streaming), USB, and an AUX input. The full description is at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1511375-bringing-r-c-107-telematics-into.html#post4073281 - photo was taken after I had upgraded the deteriorated Zebrano and prior owner's sticky tape to burl.

I was using a Garmin nav unit, input via the AUX - but I couldn't listen to music and nav instructions at the same time. The Garmin unit went on the fritz, wouldn't update maps - so I subscribed to the full Garmin software for the iPhone. Using Bluetooth, it streams both music and nav instructions through the audio; or, I can plug it in and get the same result (but better audio quality). The iPhone goes into a windshield mount and is easier to see (by my mirror) that the Garmin was, on the folded-down glove box door.

The second pic is a hurriedly photoshopped illustration of what my '78 450SL might have looked like with the ash tray removed, the ACCII control panel lowered (and narrowed a bit at the bottom), the supporting brackets installed, and a Kenwood double DIN Nav/DVD/Bluetooth/audio/iPod-iPhone capable unit installed. It's a bit too modern in its appearance, and would make restoration very difficult - so I went with the Alpine.

Like Weather Man, I think the cockpit of a convertible is just too noisy for a large investment in audio equipment. If I were doing this now, I'd look at newer HUs that have Ipod and Bluetooth functions built-in, rather than needing an add-on unit, but I'd stay with something looking similar.

Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

41 - 60 of 471 Posts