Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SL500 Magma Red Java 2006 Black SL500 2008 White CLK 350
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow, I wasn't prepared for quite this much after just purchasing the car. I'll work my way through all of the issues as the indie garage says that the car really is a keeper. I took the car to the indie because I felt a vibration at idle. I assumed that the mounts needed to be replaced. However, even though the mounts are reaching the limit, they're not failed yet. The garage listed the following:

1. intake manifold failure, hence the vibration at idle, but no check engine light
2. motor/trans mounts
3. thrust bushings
4. battery--low voltage codes
5. front tires due to the thrust bushings
6. coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid flushes.

I've opted to replace the intake manifold, battery and all air filters and the cabin filter as well as the spark plugs as it's basically shared labor while the intake is off. The cost of all of that is $2600. The thrust bushings will be next with new tires. The cost of the bushings and labor is $1100. Finally the mounts will be done and the quote for that is $1300. I'll be doing the fluid's myself. I love Mercedes products but boy can they stretch the wallet.

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,802 Posts
The more you can DIY the more you will save...Battery ,filters are very easy diy. $200 for a battery ,,$60 for filters ,, Spark plugs also not that difficult around $160..
Thrust bushings ,,or front upper control arms is a bigger more difficult job ,,,but the whole new Lemforder control arms only cost around $100 each..
Engine mounts around $100 ,,,but a harder job than most.

When you can ,,it is a good idea to service the transmission ,,,fluid ,filter ,,gasket ,,connector bushing..

·
Registered
2000 SL500 Magma Red Java 2006 Black SL500 2008 White CLK 350
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The more you can DIY the more you will save...Battery ,filters are very easy diy. $200 for a battery ,,$60 for filters ,, Spark plugs also not that difficult around $160..
Thrust bushings ,,or front upper control arms is a bigger more difficult job ,,,but the whole new Lemforder control arms only cost around $100 each..
Engine mounts around $100 ,,,but a harder job than most.

When you can ,,it is a good idea to service the transmission ,,,fluid ,filter ,,gasket ,,connector bushing..
I totally agree on the battery, and filters. I just let them do it since it was already there and I didn't want to go into stores or order the filters. I was honestly shocked by the mechanic when I asked him about servicing the transmission. He said that at 100K if the transmission is working correctly, which it is, then changing the fluid would do nothing to extend the life of the transmission. I don't agree, but he said if there was any damage you can't fix it and if there isn't any damage, then changing the fluid won't change anything either. At some point soon, I'm going to do it anyway. I just wish that there was a fill tube to use the mityvac in. I'm doing the brake and power steering fluid myself that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts