Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
100K Miles Maintenance

Hi folks,

I am closing in to 100K pretty soon (97K right now). This is what I have done to my w210 while on my ownership:

-New lower ball joints
-New control arm bushings and sway bar bushings
-New instrument cluster (CPO warranty)
-New planetary gearset and transfer case reseal/flush (CPO Warranty)
-Replaced all catalytic converters at 77K (3 miles shy of warranty exp.)
-ATF flush
-Replaced all shocks with 4 new Bilstein HD shocks
-Replaced two rear window regulators
-Wear and tear (Brake pads, tires)

Now that it is hitting 100K I am planning to:

-Change the spark plugs
-Change the differential fluid

Any more suggestions?

Checked for codes last night, none are stored. Book calls for MAF & O2 sensors to be replaced at 100K. They cost an arm and a leg and I am not that excited to replace them. Should I wait for a CEL to pop up :D or go ahead and replace all four + MAF? Recent MPG shows 19 city and 25 hwy.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I think the spark plugs and differential fluid are a good idea. Have a look at the motor mounts while you're at it. Due to the cost, I would wait for a CEL before replacing O2 sensors and the MAF.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MM. Motor mounts looked good 3k miles ago. There are no vibrations at all for the time being :)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
For the O2 sensors, what I do is buy a generic Bosch sensor on e-bay for $25, cut the wires of the existing sensor, throw the old sensor out and solder the wires to the new sensor. It worked on both my W202 and W124.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Engine Mounts? If they ain't busted, don't fix it! They are not cheap.

A few other items to consider:

1. Have you changed the Fuel Filter?

2. Engine and Cabin Air Filters?

3. Brake Fluid? (Preferably every year- Springtime)

4. Radiator Fluid (Preferably every 2 years)

5. Rear Differential Fluid

·
Registered
814 Posts
For the O2 sensors, what I do is buy a generic Bosch sensor on e-bay for $25, cut the wires of the existing sensor, throw the old sensor out and solder the wires to the new sensor. It worked on both my W202 and W124.
Hi Sergio, on W210 there are two O2 sensors, are they different? would 2 generic ones work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
-Replaced all catalytic converters at 77K (3 miles shy of warranty exp.)

Was this the CPO warranty that expired... or is there a warranty on our Cats? I am just over 71k miles and want to know if I should have them replaced under warranty (if one exists for them outside of normal warranty coverages)

·
Registered
35,797 Posts
You'll find variety of OPINIONS.
I just changed transmission fluid at 240,000 miles.
Spark plugs wear out, so they need to be changed. Cabin filters depends where you drive. The bucket-sized air filter in my motorhome got more dirt on 2000 miles in Mexico than in 30,000 miles on US freeways (I have a vacuum gauge on it).
Brake fluid absorbs moisture, so guys in cold states do it every year, I do every 10.
My experience is, that MAF either wear out, or slowly degrade before failing. Replacing it for $120 might give you money back on fuel saving.
Differential oil? Where is that? :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No this was the Emissions Warranty which covers the cats. I know its up to 80K by law (at least in Massachusetts). They will not replace them unless they are broken .... mine failed miserably! CPO expired already.

G-AMG, I am planning to flush the rear differential fluid. I will do the brake fluid as well as its about time. Coolant was replaced last year!. Fuel filter has not been replaced, never thought of that. Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
91 300CE

Cats warrantied for 8years or 80k miles which ever comes first.
Cats unless they have a manf failure or you never take trips to get them up to temp will in a properly maintained engine go way over 150k miles.If yours are fine at 71k miles they will not replace them unless they are failing.Don't ignore check engine lights,maintain your engine and you should be fine.

been over it with K before:eek:10 years on brake fluid is either foolish or
nevermind.........you are one lucky hapless soul:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Yeah... everything is perfect... never make short runs... cats always get to operating temp... just wanted to make sure... I will listen very carefully to see if there is any rattling... anything that can be done within warranty I am going to do...

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Pulling

my leg,correct?:D
Or do you subscribe to the school of though that it is cheaper to spend 4000 dollars on a transmission when it goes south than it is to do proper maintainense for a few hundred dollars:thumbsup:
You must be pulling my leg:)
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Hi Sergio, on W210 there are two O2 sensors, are they different? would 2 generic ones work?

Thanks!
I haven't looked at the ones on the W210 yet but if you get under there and take a look I'm sure it's a standard 4 wire sensor (2 white, 1 gray, 1 black).

·
Registered
96 Posts
ohlord:
You are right of course but only up to a point. I mean I am still not going to start putting in new catalytic converters for 3k, and change engine mounts for 2k unless if there is something wrong with them. Not just because of the high mileage, or that some guy tell me to on a forum. But mechanical/moving stuff/regular maintenance is diff.. that has to be done. :)

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Those

items are not regular maintenance items,leave cats alone leave mounts alone.But trans fluids,coolants,brake fluids ,power steering fluids,o2 sensors.Are all parts of regular maint that need to be done:thumbsup:
ohlord:bowdown:
besides that cats are 60 bucks for oe units or 400 complete end to end and motor mounts are 70bucks a side and a few hours of your diy time 2k for mounts?somebody be gettin ripped off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i tried to change the diff oil on my '98 4matic last weekend. went to 3 d'frent stores, including Sears, looking for 14mm socketed hex. took me 4 hours to do (and buy royal purple gear oil + oil pump).

ended up returning everything cuz NO ONE had the 14mm hex.

·
Registered
814 Posts
ohlord:
You are right of course but only up to a point. I mean I am still not going to start putting in new catalytic converters for 3k, and change engine mounts for 2k unless if there is something wrong with them. Not just because of the high mileage, or that some guy tell me to on a forum. But mechanical/moving stuff/regular maintenance is diff.. that has to be done. :)
I see there are two schools:
1. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
2. "preventive over-maintenance"

:D :D

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
...motor mounts are 70bucks a side and a few hours of your diy time 2k for mounts?somebody be gettin ripped off.
Thank you for clarifying that ohlord. I didn't think they were very expensive.

G-AMG: I advised looking at them, not replacing them. They do wear out eventually and at 100,000 miles they are worth a look see.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts