Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 W124 E320 Turbo Technics Twin Turbo
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just following on from a posting last week, I think, where a member mentioned that he had had his W124 stolen from the streets of London.

Just following on from that posting, I came across this article in the latest April copy of Mercedes Enthusiast Magazine.

" A Mercedes car theft ring has been crushed. Police think that one of London's most prolific gangs stole 1000 cars worth over £3 million in only 6 months. W124's were the gangs preferred target thanks to the lack of state of the art security systems.

Alarm bells rang at Scotland Yard when detectives noticed that on average 150 e-classes were being stolen every month from residential area's of London. Furthermore, only 5% were being found compared to the usual 45%.

Police believe low loader trucks were used to take cars from parking spaces mainly in suburban areas around the North Circular Road, giving them an easy escape route. They were then taken to eight adjoining salvage yards in Rettendon, Essex where they were broken up, and shipped to West Africa to be rebuilt as Taxi's. Three shipping containers bound for Nigeria were also recovered, and 40 stolen cars were found in 2 loaded containers at Tilbury docks.

17 men were arrested in connection with the thefts and were bailed until May"

1000 Mercs in 6 months....thats quick work!!!!

·
Registered
1989 300 TE
460 Posts
Wow, 1000 in 6 months is a lot of cars. Life as a taxi. I guess you could go to SA and take a ride in your very own stolen car. To bad they won't lose a couple of fingers!

·
Registered
'86 300SE '79 280SE
7 Posts
I had one of my cars stolen (300E) from outside my house in North London a couple of months back.

This went to the Essex yard but was never recovered.

She's now probably a taxi in West Africa
[:(][:(][:(][:(]

·
Registered
'72 220d, 250td, e320cdi
249 Posts
i read that artical, pretty crazy

·
Registered
1989 300SL
127 Posts
Hey, I am the guy with the stolen 230 TE!

I was away on vacations and just got back yesterday. Popped in to the news stand today at lunch for the usual free magazine browsing [:D] and went straight to Merc Enthusiast. Very interesting article!

Indeed my car was in North London, about 1 mile from the above mentioned North Circular. The car was on the street and used only once a week, thus probably prime material for being stolen. Took them 3 weeks to find it... [:(!]

I guess that, for now, I may buy a Volvo estate (big and reliable too, but not much luxury) as the one behind my ex Merc has remained untouched.

Still, all being well I may get another Merc (always estate, 123 or 124 I do not know yet) soon as I love the cars, the difficult part is finding a garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts