Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
See Signature
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I get my Sl to run mid to high 10's? I imagine it's running low 12's right now. Should I just get an Sl 65? I was waiting almost a year for the SL69 until I read in alot of places that it was fake. Anyone have any good sites with parts?
Dan

·
Registered
1998 MB SLK 230
504 Posts
Judging from your line up of cars i find it interesting that you don't know where to go for upgrades. But i guess if your new to it then hey. Renntech is great for engines, Carlsson should also do you some good. Brabus has made some great improvements on the SL. Lorinser is great for bodyparts, and Kleemann have made one hell of a SL. All of those companies, are ones that you should check out.

The SL69 is not "fake". MB has tagged the names incase they will be used. They will probably come out as their in design/concept phase. More info will come available soon.

·
Registered
See Signature
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know where to go, I was just looking for some secret place where all the Benz guys that know better than me go for cheaper prices. Any mods I do will not be noticable by sight. i want the car to look stock and I don't want to have to get a 65 if I can have a faster 55. Other than the Escalade and the 2 Turbo Regals the line up is stock. Thanks for the help.
Dan

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
You'll need to first of all get rid of that wheel spin. So an LSD will help you out greatly. Karlsson and Brabus can kit you out for that. And then go with a pulley upgrade.

But to get high 10's, you'll need to do a rebore. Very expensive, but Brabus will most likely give you the best results.

·
Registered
See Signature
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must be doing something wrong because I get almost no wheelspin at all. I live in NYC where they have EVERYTHING...except a place that would even touch my car. I can absolutely mash the gas from a stop and hear MAYBE a squeak. I want the SL65 for no reason other than that it is the fastest regular production benz. The kid around the block, like 19 years old has the Sl600..NOT EVEN AMG and he beats me...BAD. PLus his car is quieter. I am about stealth so I would love to hand his Azz to him in my lowly 65. If the 69 came out tommorow I would do anything to get it. I forgot to list it in my profile but my daily driver is a Cadillac Escalade which beats the 55 up to about 100. It costed me $11k on top of the car price to do this. I contacted Brabus and for $24k they could "maybe" have me in the high 10's. Back in the days I had a 93 Camaro and I was happy. I felt like Don King in that thing. Now that I can afford all this I feel like I can never be happy. The 93 Camaro would beat any car I have and I put about 8k in it. Maybe I should just get a Camry and invest more, Minka.
Dan

·
Registered
cl65 amg
196 Posts
i recoomend brabus K8 kit =) thats the best to go if you live around the area you can come and test my car its brabus =) !!! ^^ anyways peace!

·
Registered
See Signature
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in New York and Florida. I do go to CA quite often. Strangely, I have never been to Beverly Hills. I would love to test your car, is it a Brabus SL55 or an SL65? It must be nice to live there, any time I even try to get on my car I have some kid in a souped up 89 Civic or Accord with those painted tailights trying to race me. They even look mad like they are thinking "Who is this guy in the Benz that thinks he can take out my 108hp Civic". I never race them things and they always put on their flasher lights. I guess that means they won. Everyone has to win here. They always have to pace me and keep the front of their car in front of mine. Even if they get off an exit they have to be sure to beat me to the exit before I pass that point on the highway. If someone is normally following me on the highway and I accelerate away from them even slightly they will pass me and look at me with the trademark nervous mess NY face. Oh I hate NY, but OH I love $.
D

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
You're able to thump the gas and get no wheelspin at all? Are you sure it's a 55? Maybe a rebadged 500, or perhaps it has been downgraded in power (or maybe the kompressor is broken).

The 55 can make quite a bit of nudging and wheel spin if you press the pedal hard, i.e. all the way down to kick-down.

Disabling the ASR/ESP helps of course...

Start with a pulley upgrade, maybe those extra 30-50hp will sort you out?

·
Registered
See Signature
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I take the traction control off it's too dangerous. 50hp from a pulley is pretty damn good, Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Brabus offers the K8 performance kit which ups power to 550hp. I think it's a pulley and ECU upgrade.

Kleemann proposes similar kits. Once again, I think it requires an ECU upgrade and specific airfilter.

Renntech has a PDF with HP gain numbers and the prices: http://www.renntechmercedes.com/pdf/R230.pdf (50hp with pulley and ECU for $4000)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whats UP I have a 05 SL55 with every upgrade. ecu filter pully headers cam shaft kleemen dif. the best x I can get out of the car in 50 temps. is a 11.71 and my buddy races funny cars and had him drive and ran a 11.62 upgrades cost me around 19k and that was an ok price. If I was u (not tellin u what to do )dont take the motor out and fuck with it its gonna cost u about 35k to do it . u will be in hi 10 s but the car wont be worth nothing u will never be able to sell it. do all the bolt on junk with the cam u will be OK with that... Later on[}:)]

·
Registered
2005 RENNtech SL600
195 Posts
Hey, go ahead and get the SL65, and all the kid with the SL600 has to do to beat you again is add the RENNtech package ($6,200) and he will be smoking your new and very expensive SL65. The best value in the MB SL line as far as upgradability goes, is the SL600. You will spend a small fortune geting the SL55 to even preform in the mid 11 range. It's simply not worth it when you can buy a used 600 and upgrade for way less. And let's face it guys, once you have altered the engine to the degreee necessary to make the 55 preform anywhere in the 11's not to even mention the 10's, you have certainly lost any and all warantee. The RENNtech work is undetectable, waranteed (by RENNtech)and totally reversable in a single day. This is really the best of all worlds when it comes to upgrades. Seriously though, the SL55 is already a great preformer but simply was never designed for super car preformance. Get the SL600 and RENNtech it!!

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
mark11 - 4/13/2005 8:12 AM

Hey, go ahead and get the SL65, and all the kid with the SL600 has to do to beat you again is add the RENNtech package ($6,200) and he will be smoking your new and very expensive SL65. The best value in the MB SL line as far as upgradability goes, is the SL600. You will spend a small fortune geting the SL55 to even preform in the mid 11 range. It's simply not worth it when you can buy a used 600 and upgrade for way less. And let's face it guys, once you have altered the engine to the degreee necessary to make the 55 preform anywhere in the 11's not to even mention the 10's, you have certainly lost any and all warantee. The RENNtech work is undetectable, waranteed (by RENNtech)and totally reversable in a single day. This is really the best of all worlds when it comes to upgrades. Seriously though, the SL55 is already a great preformer but simply was never designed for super car preformance. Get the SL600 and RENNtech it!!
Mark, my good buddy. Where have you been? Welcome back!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whats up ! I see u have a 05 600 renntech .I live in NY i would just like to see how my 55 and ur 600 go I dumped alot of paper in my 55's motor. the only thing I dont like about the 600 is the way it handles in turns and bad brakes but the motor with the upgrade kicks ass...

·
Registered
See Signature
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I am going to sell the SL55 and get an Sl600 to modify and a SL65 to put in a bubble in the back of the garage. You're right, the SL55 could never be what I want it to be and as long as I still have an AMG I am happy. I own Top Grade Limo in Yonkers and Allied Oil in NJ, thanks
Dan

·
Registered
See Signature
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I am going to sell the SL55 and get an Sl600 to modify and a SL65 to put in a bubble in the back of the garage. You're right, the SL55 could never be what I want it to be and as long as I still have an AMG I am happy. I own Top Class Limo in Yonkers and Allied Oil in NJ, I'm 28 thanks
Dan

·
Registered
2005 RENNtech SL600
195 Posts
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I did not notice your post. So, you dumped a lot of cash into your SL55? I know a few others that have done the same but here's the details on what you'll be facing if we meet: 650HP & 790LBS of torque at 1,800RPMS. You may beat me off the line based on sheer weight and some slight tubo lag, but I can almost assure you that I'll be screaming past you within a split second. Short of having your engine completely replaced, no amount of street legal alteration to the SL55 will help. This is why I purchased the SL600. I feel that it is simply the best value in the SL line due to it's upgradability. The RENNtech SL600 with the sport package is just as good looking as the SL65 but "faster" and smoother riding. But the best part is that you can fully load your RENNtech SL600 with every option available and it's still way less than even the base model SL65. The difference could actually be 30 to 50 thousand dollars less. As for the SL55, well I do like it but it just cannot be substantially upgraded without spending huge money and the end result is still not satisfactory preformance for me. But don't get me wrong, I do love SL55's too. There is someting to be said about that quick and light feeling the car seems to have. It is really fun to drive because it just feels so nimble. The down side of the V12's is that the are heavy in the front end and so you trade the sporty nimble feel for the luxury cruiser feel. But again, add the RENNtech package and you can have both, sport and luxury. Any way, if you need to know, I live in the Saratoga area of the Capital Region of NYS. Perhaps we'll meet and we may drive each other's cars. Perhaps I will be surprised as "you" pass me? You never know!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts