Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like those Lexus GS w/ White License plate light?
Well............ this modification can last approximately 100,000 hours - That's about 92 years!!!!!!! (3 hours driving a day w/ lights on)

I didn't buy the "Xenon bulb" because it is still gas charged, and it exceed 5W of what MB recommended. LED mod basically has no heat and will not over load your current.

1. Get a pair of 6-LED festoon bulb from ebay. ($8)-size between 36mm to 41mm (I got them from "US HOME DIRECT", I am at east coast and take less than 3 days to get to me)
2. Get a 100 ohm 10W resistor from Radioshack ($2)
(sole purpose is to "fool" your car thinking the license bulb still working)

Step 1, replace your license plate festoon w/ LED Festoon.
Step 2, Parallel connect, ONE of the resistor to the Positive and negavie wire of your festoon socket.

(UPDATE!!!!! ONE resistor per side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

*********NO MORE "DEFECTIVE LAMP" warning on your cluster **************

Attachments

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
Do you actually need a resistor for this installation & why? also could you please post the actual photo of your installation. so that it's more clear onto where to place the resistor.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aufrecht 55 said:
Do you actually need a resistor for this installation & why? also could you please post the actual photo of your installation. so that it's more clear onto where to place the resistor.
Becuase LED bulb are low current, after you install, ALTHOUGH THEY WORKS, but your car will give you "LAMP DEFECTIVE" on your cluster.

The sole purpose of "resistor" is to "fool" your car thinking the bulb are working.

Print out the diagram above, and then remove your License bulb housing, you will be very clear. (basically, just twest the resistor's one end to the positive and one end to the negative of the bulb Socket - NOT the bulb)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aufrecht 55 said:
got it, thanks...
Don't over think it. (this definitely require no rocket scientist)

1. Just put those white-LED bulb (length between 36mm to 41mm)

2. Get the "100 ohm 10W" resistor from Local radioshack.

3. twist connect one end of resistor to the positive wire, and one end to the negative wire. (all you need is one resistor!!!!)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aufrecht 55 said:
that looks good no clue

Pic update....
I bet this is clear enough for anyone who want to install a resistor!

·
Registered
2004 clk500
928 Posts
is that wire burnt or just rusty look?

just checking to make sure this is the right resistor. i dont know anything about how to calculate what size i need but i started a thread on the w140 forum and heres a link: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1263135-l-e-d-license-plate-bulbs.html i just want to make sure it wont burn out the wires. on the w140 forum some recommends going with 33 ohms and 5 watt one on each side is that the same? since you are using 100 ohms and 10 watts with just one resistor.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
mbnz230 said:
just checking to make sure this is the right resistor. i dont know anything about how to calculate what size i need but i started a thread on the w140 forum and heres a link: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1263135-l-e-d-license-plate-bulbs.html i just want to make sure it wont burn out the wires. on the w140 forum some recommends going with 33 ohms and 5 watt one on each side is that the same? since you are using 100 ohms and 10 watts with just one resistor.
W210 has serial connection on the license plate bulb in the U.S. model.

Watts = Volts * Amps
In other words, your 5W resistor can handle up to .41 amps

Because it is 33ohm, in other word, it is
Volts = Amps * Ohms
That mean it is actually consume 4.36watt per resistor. (stock C5W use 5W anyway)

In the U.S. model, anything beyond 1.5 Watt in serial connection will be recognized as "working bulb".

So I suggest 100ohm which consume 1.44Watt, with combination of 2 LED bulb, it is more than enough to "fool" the system.
(Besides, this particular resistor has ceramic finished, very good in all weather resistance and dissapate heat evenly)

Just reminder, lower the watt it consume, less heat it generate.

·
Registered
2004 clk500
928 Posts
hey no clue,

Thanks for the reply, i will buy the 100 ohm 10% DALE 10W RESISTOR from radio shack. same as yours ;0).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mbnz230 said:
Thanks for the reply, i will buy the 100 ohm 10% DALE 10W RESISTOR from radio shack. same as yours ;0).
I am not sure if your W140 is serial or parallel connection.
If you one resistor doesn't work, then put one on each side.
(don't worry, two resistor still consume less power than single C5W bulb)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many members PM me regarding need to use one resistor per bulb to "fool" the system.

I think the problem is that I had an accident 2 month ago, the shop might have connected the bulb wire into serial setting.

HERE is the UPDATE:

ONE resistor (100ohm 10W) resistor per bulb.

This resistor consume 1.44W only, vs Stock C5W's 5W!!!!!

The resistor temperature reaching only around 70F. (which is cooler than body temperature anyway, is perfectly safe to and plastic surface. Most of plastic, PVC, wire coating withstand up to 400F)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your information, do you think is safe to buy on ebay? Has anyone brought led from this seller before? Also hows quality of the festoon bulbs?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MASTERP said:
Thanks for your information, do you think is safe to buy on ebay? Has anyone brought led from this seller before? Also hows quality of the festoon bulbs?
I think I said..." I got mine from them..."
Check the MBforums also.... the tread I started is longer and 6-LED has proven to be brighter than 8 LED model.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts