Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me intercooler is full of oil which is continually contaminating the MAF. I wanted to remove this oil but didn’t want to have to spend hours dismantling the bumper, etc. removing the IC, cleaning and then reinstalling it. So I got a flexible drain cleaning wire from my local DIY store and attached a mini paint roller to one end. I kept the roller in place with a 7mm hose clip which I tightened as much as possible so there was no chance the roller would come off. Then I sprayed the roller with electrical contact cleaner (I chose this so that any residue wouldn’t affect the MAF), removed the MAF tube by opening the clips and snaked it down the IC pipe. The roller was too long to fit around the bends so I cut most of it off, leaving just 20cm. Then the hose snaked down into the pipe. It penetrated in about 80cm before reaching an obstacle. But by moving it around I was able to soak up a lot of oil out of this part of the system. Then I let the IC pipe dry out for a while. After that I ran the car I checked the MAF and found some fibres from the paint roller that were caught in the screen and removed them with a tweezers. But the IC pipe was completely free of oil:D.

This is not a proper intercooler clear out but a quick way to soak up the oil in the IC pipe that is closest to the MAF. I may have to repeat it regularly until all the oil is out.

If anyone does try this make sure the roller is held on to the flexible wire as tight as possible so it won’t come off.

CMount

Attachments

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
No doubt a good start, but there is likely a fair amount of oil in the intercooler itself, and that can't be reached with your nifty little tool.
You will still need to get to that area to clean it as well.

As livefreeordie says very creative, that will save a lot of time and effort for the rest of the plumbing... :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts